“Suited me fine.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel Southampton

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Novotel Southampton
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Horsham
“Suited me fine.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Clean, modern and functional.
I had a superior room and it suited me fine, though I do object to paying £2.50 for a small bottle of water - an expensive memory lapse of not having brought my own! Kettle in room also had some black scale in it which took several attempts to rid.
Although near busy roads, (and opposite the city police station!) with the windows shut it was very quiet.
Tried the pool - pleasant enough if you just want a splash and a chat, but it is not for swimmers! Changing room a squeeze too.
Did not eat here.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Many thanks for your review. I am glad you found our superior room to your liking and I have noted your comments regarding the pool and the kettle (which we have replaced) and we do hope to see you again soon.
Glenn Findlay | General Manager | Novotel Southampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
West Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I booked 5 rooms and paid extra for a hotel with a swimming pool - but don't be fooled by the pictures people - this is not a swimming pool! This is really not much more than a kiddies' splash pool. So having given up on the idea of doing lengths we headed for the sauna - and it wasn't even switched on. So I pretty much feel cheated, and will be writing to the hotel to complain. The superior room was ok - if you want to pay £2.50 for a bottle of water! The bathroom was very good and looked recently refurbished and the shower was good. Staff were friendly, and the place was generally clean. Didn't stay for breakfast as we decided, rightly as it turned out, you can get better than a hotel breakfast at £13.95!!

Room Tip: Choose a superior room but take your own water!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lal6661
Many thanks for your review. I am sorry you feel our leisure facilities were not up to your expectations during your stay. Our Sauna facilities run on a timer, I have asked my maintenance team to ensure this is working correctly. On a positive note I am happy to read that you found our team friendly and the hotel Clean.
dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here before, but this time there was only the Executive Rooms available, so we took one because Novotel was the nearest hotel to Mayflower Theatre.
The Executive room was lovely, with an Nespresso machine, airconditioning, TV with lots of channels, bathrobe and slippers,fridge with complimentary bottles of water, free (fast) internet , the usual tea/coffee/biscuits and an iron and ironing board.
The rooms are also quiet because they have a partition door between the room door and the sleeping area, unlike other hotels where you hear people walking up/down the corridors and children running.
Blue Badge holders get to park their car free of charge, otherwise it is about £6 per day for Novotel guests.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed staying in our executive room however I would like to confirm with you that we do not have air conditioning, we do have an air cooling system for the hotel and it is nice to read this was adequate for your needs. We hope to see you again soon and hope you enjoyed the production at the Mayflower theatre.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The location is very convenient for shopping at the West Quay being a short walk away (5 minutes). The building itself is full of character and a bit different and is situated in a retail park with a couple of other hotels as close neighbours.

As you get into the hotel reception it takes on a slightly dated 1970's feel. It is contemporary in style, but just fails to add comfort or character into the scene.

The reception staff were helpful and as I had pre-requested a quiet room I was surprised to see we had been allocated a room right opposite the entrance to a police station. I asked to be moved and was shown two other rooms on the opposite side facing the car park and was satisfied with this room.

The room is called an Executive double with a double bed and pull out sofa. The bed was comfortable once we had removed the cover from the duvet to use as a summer sheet. Perhaps a sheet could be offered as well so the duvet can be packed away if not required.

The bathroom was small and the bath (with shower overhead) so narrow I was in danger of not getting out again. If you are above average size, do not try the bath!

The separate toilet was a good idea, but too small and the decor needs updating.

The breakfast was very good with plenty of variety, hot and freshly produced items and a pancake machine. Guests please note that you can press the button for more than one pancake at a time. Families must wait ages in the queue doing them one at a time.

All in all I have no real complaints about this hotel but I will try somewhere else on my next visit to Southampton

Simon's restaurant on Oxford Street was recommended to us by the hotel staff and we enjoyed this evening out very much. The food was excellent and the atmosphere lively.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the car park are quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank Linda F
Many thanks for your review. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to see you again in the future.
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here 9th august for our wedding anniversary and a visit to the mayflower theatre I had made a prior arrangement for a surprise bottle of champagne to be left in the room on our arrival which they did and with complementary strawberries and cream (nice touch).We found all the staff we came in contact with very friendly and helpful.
I had booked an executive room which I would have hoped would of been a little more spacious but still well appointed and at first glance the carpet looked stained but on closer inspection this was not the case its the pile in the carpet that gives this impression and the room was very clean and tidy but would benefit from a new paint job as there were scuffs on the walls mostly around the tv area.
We had a very nice late afternoon bar snack arranged by a very helpful barman and we thought there was a good choice on the menu.
The breakfast fare is very comprehensive and very enjoyable but the fried eggs were like rubber frisbys they would benefit from being cooked fresh as required.
We had a pleasant stay and would recommend as its location is very close to the main shops and cruise terminal and only a short distance from the train station and the mayflower theatre.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the car park seem to be a little quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Happy belated anniversary, I am thrilled to read we helped in your celebrations and you enjoyed your stay and the team here at Novotel Southampton. We all hope to see you again soon.