“Carpet of pubes!”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Stayed there 9-10/4/11, room was about £52 for our night. We were overlooking the carpark at the back and situated right next to a noisy kitchen extracter outlet. The bathroom is certainly somewhere to be avoided at all costs, so much so my GF and I waited until we got home for a shower. There was 2 small complimentary bars of soap but no shampoo or shower gel which seems to be a basic given in rooms these days. Worst of all was the alarming amout of pubic hair that was in the bathroom and on the threadbare carpet, we dont have pubic hair so it wasn't ours that's for sure and points poor cleaning regimes. The layout of the hotel seems to be lots of pointless staircases and landings and is quite baffling at first. Stated free parking online but we were charged £3.
Our advice would be to spend an extra tenner and enjoy your stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Go to the Dolphin nextdoor!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Star Hotel

Reviewed 9 March 2011

I read varying comment son this hotel before I booked, and I must sya some seemd very unfair. The location is ideal - right in the heart of old Southampton. The price was very reasonable. The room was very comfortable. For this price you should not expect some of the frills anbd fripperies found in more modern chains, and frankly I don't think they add that much more value. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Stayed for one night and I have stayed there before but I had forgotten how old and dated this hotel is. The Star is badly in need of some investment. Main plus points are the car park, the breakfast and its next to Wetherspoons, it ends there. I had a very creaky four poster bed which made various noises every time I moved. The room had an over powering smell thing plugged into a wall socket which after 10 mins I removed. The shower was a trickle in a freezing bathroom. The room furniture was in a word, rubbish. It cast us £55.00 for a one night stay, so if you afford it pay extra somewhere else and enjoy.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We stayed at the Star Hotel for one night (Saturday) and it really wasn't that bad, but it is VERY old fashioned and it definitely smells (and looks) like an old people's home! It reminded me of Fawlty Towers and although we found it funny, I wouldn't really recommend more than a night here. However, having said that, the rooms were generally quite clean, the beds were relatively comfortable and bedding was crisp and clean.
Pros:
- Location (right in the centre of town)
- Car parking (£3 for the night)
- price
- Really friendly staff
Cons:
- Badly in need of a re-furb (peeling paint, stained carpets, smelly upholstery, etc.)
- Poor security (the window in our room was permanently ajar and couldn't be closed)

Traditional is not really the word to describe this hotel - that gives the impression of quaint and well maintained, which this hotel is certainly not. Although we had a good weekend, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone I know.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We went with the expectation that this would be a bad choice after reading some reviews, However I was pleasantly surprised.
The staff are friendly and I was impressed by the size of our room. It had a king size "very comfy" and clean bed at one end and a single at the other. my partner was happy with the massive dresser table that she could do her make up and hair at.
There was a choice of breakfast "full English, cereal, toast, porridge"
We had room 15 and paid £50 for the night and i will be using the Star again.
Its not the Ritz but I am judging this on the room that we had and was very happy with it.

Reviewed 12 February 2011

Room 5: I do not expect luxury but a good bed to sleep is not so much to ask? It was outdated, worn out, there was not even a chair or something to hold my bag. I tried putting the sloppy matrass on the ground, but no improvement. Desperately trying to cling on to the bed I put on my clothes and used the spread to support not falling off. I was glad it was time to get up and get out. The shower was hot - though the cabine including toilet very small. Carpet worn out, ropes to turn on/off light tacky.
2nd night I asked for another room and I got room 14 - a small double bed, a little less terrible and a few more pillows to support. Walls are like paper - you hear everything in the room next to you. Staff were friendly but still... NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2011

The star hotel was absolutly perefect for our weekend away to visit our son! 2 minutes walk from town centre, no worries about where to park as parking is at the hotel, 8 minutes walk to our son's halls of residence (hudson).
Beautiful breakfast which is served at sensible times 8am - 10am on saturday and joy of joys 8am - 11am on a sunday! other hotels we have staed at insiste on breakfast at unearthly hours of 7 9am -honestly, who wants to get up THAT early when you are away for the weekend??
Very quaint and yes, could do with a lick of paint, BUT, very comfortable beds (I have had several back ops so have to be careful where I sllep) clean, Spotless bathrooms, no veiw fron our room but we didn't go there for a view!! and paking is £3 a day!!
Will certainly use this always now for visiting our son at uni! great find, thank you Star hotel for making us so welcome.
DON' T TAKE NOTICE OF THE OTHER REVIEWS IF YOU JUST WANT SOMEWHERE TO USE AS A BASE!! thank you xx

1  Thank Denkie