Star Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$192
US$119
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Highfield House Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$64
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsold coaching innlocation is idealbit datedcomfy bedquay
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Stayed there 9-10/4/11, room was about £52 for our night. We were overlooking the carpark at the back and situated right next to a noisy kitchen extracter outlet. The bathroom is certainly somewhere to be avoided at all costs, so much so my GF and I waited until we got home for a shower. There was 2 small complimentary bars of soap but no shampoo or shower gel which seems to be a basic given in rooms these days. Worst of all was the alarming amout of pubic hair that was in the bathroom and on the threadbare carpet, we dont have pubic hair so it wasn't ours that's for sure and points poor cleaning regimes. The layout of the hotel seems to be lots of pointless staircases and landings and is quite baffling at first. Stated free parking online but we were charged £3.
Our advice would be to spend an extra tenner and enjoy your stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Go to the Dolphin nextdoor!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I read varying comment son this hotel before I booked, and I must sya some seemd very unfair. The location is ideal - right in the heart of old Southampton. The price was very reasonable. The room was very comfortable. For this price you should not expect some of the frills anbd fripperies found in more modern chains, and frankly I don't think they add that much more value. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Stayed for one night and I have stayed there before but I had forgotten how old and dated this hotel is. The Star is badly in need of some investment. Main plus points are the car park, the breakfast and its next to Wetherspoons, it ends there. I had a very creaky four poster bed which made various noises every time I moved. The room had an over powering smell thing plugged into a wall socket which after 10 mins I removed. The shower was a trickle in a freezing bathroom. The room furniture was in a word, rubbish. It cast us £55.00 for a one night stay, so if you afford it pay extra somewhere else and enjoy.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We stayed at the Star Hotel for one night (Saturday) and it really wasn't that bad, but it is VERY old fashioned and it definitely smells (and looks) like an old people's home! It reminded me of Fawlty Towers and although we found it funny, I wouldn't really recommend more than a night here. However, having said that, the rooms were generally quite clean, the beds were relatively comfortable and bedding was crisp and clean.
Pros:
- Location (right in the centre of town)
- Car parking (£3 for the night)
- price
- Really friendly staff
Cons:
- Badly in need of a re-furb (peeling paint, stained carpets, smelly upholstery, etc.)
- Poor security (the window in our room was permanently ajar and couldn't be closed)

Traditional is not really the word to describe this hotel - that gives the impression of quaint and well maintained, which this hotel is certainly not. Although we had a good weekend, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone I know.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We went with the expectation that this would be a bad choice after reading some reviews, However I was pleasantly surprised.
The staff are friendly and I was impressed by the size of our room. It had a king size "very comfy" and clean bed at one end and a single at the other. my partner was happy with the massive dresser table that she could do her make up and hair at.
There was a choice of breakfast "full English, cereal, toast, porridge"
We had room 15 and paid £50 for the night and i will be using the Star again.
Its not the Ritz but I am judging this on the room that we had and was very happy with it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple