“Unless you like filthy 'dumps' do NOT go”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Nicosia District, Cyprus
“Unless you like filthy 'dumps' do NOT go”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

It is 11.00 am and I was promised a phone call from the manager of this place at 10am and it has not happened so I feel totally free to pass my comments on. I will try to be succinct - Carpets dirty and stained, dust upon dust on anything which had any kind of ledge, light bulbs missing, light shades dingy, torn wallpaper, window in desperate need of maintenance - looked in danger of falling off the hinges, net curtain filthy, large crack in bedroom wall. Now to the bathroom: dingy light, toilet needed excessive 'pumping' to work, wash hand basin cracked (therefore harbouring germs), taps dirty, no bath mat, shower did not work, bath so narrow I had to bathe kneeling down which, with arthritis was very difficult to do and, as we were going to a party, I had to wash my hair which was even more difficult to do kneeling down, black, smelly, gunge around the 'seal' of the bath. Unfortunately very little of this was obvious until we had natural daylight, due to said dingy lighting, otherwise we would not have even stayed the one night. I have never been in a hotel where I cringed to put any part of my uncovered anatomy on to anything in the room. The only good thing was that the bedlinen was clean and did not smell of any of these artificial perfumes that are used in fabric softeners.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague, especially room 8
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julia4J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2011

First impressions - Interesting historical building, full of traditional character. . .with parking! What a bonus for a city centre location!
Good welcome from friendly, efficient staff. Room was large and perfectly adequate, if a little dated, but actually made a nice change from the usual same-old modern chain offering.
A good night's sleep was had after exploring the city nightlife, followed by a quality hearty breakfast.
Overall, a good value traditional hotel in a prime central location with warm friendly staff. What more do you want for £60?

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Stayed there 9-10/4/11, room was about £52 for our night. We were overlooking the carpark at the back and situated right next to a noisy kitchen extracter outlet. The bathroom is certainly somewhere to be avoided at all costs, so much so my GF and I waited until we got home for a shower. There was 2 small complimentary bars of soap but no shampoo or shower gel which seems to be a basic given in rooms these days. Worst of all was the alarming amout of pubic hair that was in the bathroom and on the threadbare carpet, we dont have pubic hair so it wasn't ours that's for sure and points poor cleaning regimes. The layout of the hotel seems to be lots of pointless staircases and landings and is quite baffling at first. Stated free parking online but we were charged £3.
Our advice would be to spend an extra tenner and enjoy your stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Go to the Dolphin nextdoor!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I read varying comment son this hotel before I booked, and I must sya some seemd very unfair. The location is ideal - right in the heart of old Southampton. The price was very reasonable. The room was very comfortable. For this price you should not expect some of the frills anbd fripperies found in more modern chains, and frankly I don't think they add that much more value. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Stayed for one night and I have stayed there before but I had forgotten how old and dated this hotel is. The Star is badly in need of some investment. Main plus points are the car park, the breakfast and its next to Wetherspoons, it ends there. I had a very creaky four poster bed which made various noises every time I moved. The room had an over powering smell thing plugged into a wall socket which after 10 mins I removed. The shower was a trickle in a freezing bathroom. The room furniture was in a word, rubbish. It cast us £55.00 for a one night stay, so if you afford it pay extra somewhere else and enjoy.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We stayed at the Star Hotel for one night (Saturday) and it really wasn't that bad, but it is VERY old fashioned and it definitely smells (and looks) like an old people's home! It reminded me of Fawlty Towers and although we found it funny, I wouldn't really recommend more than a night here. However, having said that, the rooms were generally quite clean, the beds were relatively comfortable and bedding was crisp and clean.
Pros:
- Location (right in the centre of town)
- Car parking (£3 for the night)
- price
- Really friendly staff
Cons:
- Badly in need of a re-furb (peeling paint, stained carpets, smelly upholstery, etc.)
- Poor security (the window in our room was permanently ajar and couldn't be closed)

Traditional is not really the word to describe this hotel - that gives the impression of quaint and well maintained, which this hotel is certainly not. Although we had a good weekend, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone I know.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Isle of Wight
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We went with the expectation that this would be a bad choice after reading some reviews, However I was pleasantly surprised.
The staff are friendly and I was impressed by the size of our room. It had a king size "very comfy" and clean bed at one end and a single at the other. my partner was happy with the massive dresser table that she could do her make up and hair at.
There was a choice of breakfast "full English, cereal, toast, porridge"
We had room 15 and paid £50 for the night and i will be using the Star again.
Its not the Ritz but I am judging this on the room that we had and was very happy with it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple