“never ever ever ever again , bulldoze it down !!!!!!”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Tipton Ford, Missouri, United States
“never ever ever ever again , bulldoze it down !!!!!!”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

will keep it simple because there is so much to list . made me pay in advance but the website never mentioned it , made me pay for parking in their car park again not mentioned on website but i only got a space twice, old fashioned and dated tired decor , in room we found mucus ( bogies ) wiped on tiles in front of the toilet seating position , a mucus/blood combination on the toilet roll , body hairs ( pubes ) on the toilet bowl , a black scum/mould around the boath plughole and taps , a used plaster on the floor at the side of the bed , tv and freeview not working i had to mess about with it to get it going and tune it in and use a couple of my own batteries , net curtains and windows filthy , next door and in fact the rest of the corridor was made up of builders/workmen who were loud , swearing , drunk , smoking drugs ,fighting , coming back all hours and having get togethers till around 6 am EVERY DAY , the outside toilet spoil/drain pipe leaked everytime somone used the toilet next door and it leaked onto the car park floor and on one occasion i actually parked in the carpark before all the builders vans came back before they blocked it up and the urine and toilet water combination leaked onto the carpark and splashed up onto my car! ,went down at 4am on two occasions to complain to the night watchman/porter and to be fair he told them on two occasions to keep the noise down but it made no difference , got transferred to the penthouse suit ( what a joke ) on the third night but could not believe the radiator was on full blast ( it was a hot sultry day ) and could not be turned off , tried to phone reception but the phone wasnt working so i opened the windows to find a kareoke bar on the high street below blaring out music till 2 am !!!!!!!!!!! may god strike me down if this is not true ,honestly , also two big black body hairs on the floor and two big black body hairs in the bath , air conditioning unit outside at the back making an absolute din all night , the old guy at breakfast could not have been less helpful and rude if he had tried , and there was a woman who seemed to know everybody and i also saw her go behind the breakfast counter once so i think she was a resident ,who on two breakfasts continued to blow her nose , open the tissue to see what had been produced , then leave the tissue on the table . on the second occasion i thought i would not try to make conversation with the old miserable git on breakfast duty and count how many times she blew her nose ..... 27 times in sucsession!!!! a member of staff from reception was summonsed a couple of times but he was about as much use as frank spencer and just kept his hands in his pockets and shrugged his shoulders....all this happened in full view of my 16 year old son on wich was supposed to be a dads/sons poss last hols before he goes of to ibiza or where ever it is the young ones go now . i dont think i need to say anymore but if you are thinking of stopping here you are an idiot i'm afraid ! the place should be bulldozed down !

Room Tip: yeah no probs , any room in any other hotel anywhere
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Steven Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
west midlands
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Star Hotel on the 13th of October before boarding the QM2 the day after.We chose this hotel because it was an excellent price and appeared to be in a good location

Staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful .We were put in the " honeymoon " suite in room 31 at the front of the hotel.The room was very spacious and had 2 double beds both of which were comfortable.Room and bathroom both spotless and could not be faulted . WiFi was a bonus and breakfast was plentiful and of good quality .

The location of the hotel is ideal for those crusing as it is walking distant from the docks and in the middle of the high street with loads of gppd restuarants on its doorstep.I would highly recommend a steakhouse just a 2 minute walk away .

Our only criticism of the hotel was the very high noise levels when staying in rooms at the front of the hotel .This noise stems from the neighbouring nightclubs and bars and prevented us from having a good nights sleep. This lack of sleep affected me the day after on our cruise as I fell asleep at 9 pm instead of staying up and enjoying all the cruise had to offer

I would stay at the Star Hotel again due to its value and closeness to the port but I would insist on a back room away from the high street

Room Tip: Room at back of hotel as noise levels at front of hotel is horrendous
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sylvia42
UK
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Stayed here with a friend, booked the hotel at the last minute for only £50 which included breakfast. Great location and the breakfast was better than expected given the price we paid.

Although the room has seen better days (was a little bit small and could do with an allover clean, bathroom looks dated) the beds were comfortable. The staff were all friendly and there is a bar (which we did not go to).

Only real bad point was the tea in the room - two unwrapped teabags were on the tray but they tasted like they had been there for weeks - one of the worst cups I've ever had!

But for £50 it is good value and I would come back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank hajimaru
Plymouth, Devon
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband and I stayed in a standard double last night which cost the princely sum of £115 room only. The parking was £3 and the breakfast £6 each on top of this.

The hotel is shabby and so old fashioned that I cannot believe they are able to get away with it. The bathroom circa 1950 with patched up lino, the shower was a dribble and I had to kneel in the bath(the emamel was chipped) and put my head under the hot tap to try to wash my hair, oh and no hair dryer either! The floor creaked and tilted too. On the plus side there were toiletries and shower caps(hilarious seeing as the shower didn't work). Clean towels but no bath mat was a big minus.

The bed was not a divan type just a mattress on top of the frame, but the bedding was all nice and fresh and clean. There was a bedside table on one side and a carpet shelf on the other which I Iater realised covered the water pipes from the bathroom!!!! There was a small flat screen TV with only four channels and a tea/coffee tray, however, the tea bags were not wrapped and I didn't think this was very nice. They left two packets of biscuits though. The wardrobe and chest affair were so very old that they creaked liked everything in the room and I was wondering if there was a ghost there to complete the package.

With trepidation we decided to pay for the breakfast and did find we were pleasantly surprised as it was a very nice hot and cold buffet and better than we have had in other places.

The plus points were that the staff were very nice and helful and that it was a clean place, but oh dear it is delapidated and the car park was tight and small- we got the last space and just left the car where it was and walked everywhere. It was in a convenient position right in the town and as as the purpose of our trip was to drop our daughter off for university it was ideal, but there is no way we will ever stay there again. The worst part for me was not getting a proper shower and hair wash as we had left home early and been humping posessions around all day and dashing about like mad things at the shops!

Sorry folks I don't recommend it, you can do better elsewhere in Southampton.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SueSage

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Just returned after a 3 nights at the Star Hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay - our room was clean with plenty of storage and our towels were changed everyday.
The staff on reception were extremely friendly and welcoming. The hotel is perfectly situated with a Wetherspoons pub a few doors away and plenty of restaurants within a few minutes walk. We used it as a base to visit Bournemouth, Poole and Sandback. We would definitely stay here again !!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Stayed earlier in the year, but only just made a tripadvisor account to review a hotel in weston-super-mare, and thought this place deserved a mention!!

I went with my husband earlier this year (leaving the little one at home! Very crafty!) and i must say i was delighted with the quality of the stay we had. The room was a comfortable size for the two of us, and whilst the corridors looked a little dated, the room itself was of an excellent quality and looked relatively up-to-date. "Post-modern" accomodation this is not, but the robust furnishings and comfortable bed made it feel like a home away for home for us!

We were back a little late (to our shame!) but were welcomed back by a friendly night porter, and quietly made our way back to our room. Next morning's breakfast was a real treat, and to be served hot drinks (as opposed to the usual urn-on-a-trolley feel of usual city hotels) was a real bonus!

In short, loved this hotel, and would thouroughly reccomend booking again! Make sure you book direct for the best rooms, bookings.com and the like tend to only send the rooms through last-minute and you might get caught out! Worth the extra few quid to speak to the proper receptionist I say!

PS - free high-speed wifi throughout the whole hotel was a great plus!!

Room Tip: Speak directly to them!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed 8 August 2011

You will love this hotel! I stayed here for one night with my Husband and young son prior to visiting Peppa Pig world. I booked online as it was cheap...and there were many reasons for that! When we arrived we were booked in quickly but the receptionist was very keen to tell us she only had 2 shifts to go before she left and she couldn't wait (something to tell us, maybe??)

We were on the 2nd floor so took the lift, which is like an elevator version of Arkwright's till. Just mind your fingers when you close the door! We got to our room, which was clean but very cramped. We had asked for a cotbed and this was placed in the only passing point between the bed and the rest of the furniture. The room was ever so hot, which we thought was due to the weather, but I had to close the window - a 2 year old plus big sash window on 2nd floor = possible disaster!. The shower room was tiny and the shower just about worked, if the head stayed in it's holder. The towels and bedding were lovely and clean and the pillows were comfy. However the mattress was not so and this coupled with a very hot room - not due to the weather - and noisy guests at 2am meant a bad nights sleep for me.

We arrived with friends and one of them told me she had booked this hotel for her sister's hen do...and there were a couple of noisy groups returning at 2am. Our room also looked over the car park which seemed to double up as a thoroughfare for pedestrians after a hefty night out.

The hotel only redeemed itself in the morning when we came down for breakfast. The food was well cooked and the waitress was more than helpful, which made our breakfast a nice experience and set us up well for the day. The parking was a bargain at £3 for our whole stay but the car park did get busy so you would have to arrive early to get a space.

In summary, so much could be done with this hotel as it is in a perfect location for shopping and visiting the city. It needs to be closed for 6 months and completely modernised. Obviously the prices would be reflected but I would be prepared to pay more for a better class of hotel. In it's current state I would pay more for another hotel or even stay slightly further out.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family