“Very Central and Cheap”

Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
London, United Kingdom
“Very Central and Cheap”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed at this hostel around 10 days. It's really central, on the High Street, you can find shopping centres, local stores like Tesco, banks etc, just takes a few minutes by walking.

Another positive feature is that Star Hotel is one of the cheapest hotels in the town. It's still expensive when you compare it with the hotels in other countries, but it's England, you know :)

I want to underline that standarts are very different even in the same rated rooms. We stayed in this hotel two different times in a month and our experience was'nt that good for the first time, but it was very nice for our second trip. It's about luck :)

Finally, Southampton is a very nice town, enjoy your time here :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Berctash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Reviewed 7 November 2012

The bedroom had a single bed that creaked and was very unsteady. There was enough room to walk down one side of the bed but not the other. The decor was out of the 60s and looked like it needed a good decorating the water was that slow running it was unbelievable. It stated wifi but it only worked in certain areas and not in the bedroom. There was an old patch of where something had been thrown down the wall. The walls were so thin you could hear the conversations in both next door rooms. Don't know where the photos on the website came from, but it wasn't this hotel.
It's a never again from me!

• Stayed November 2012

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Having read a lot of negative reviews about this hotel I was prepared for the worst however when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised. This hotel has very friendly staff and is full of charm. Yes the decor is somewhat dated but our double room (with en-suite bathroom) was extremely clean and the bed was comfortable with sparkling white sheets. We stayed on a Friday night and the noise levels were low. The hotel is in an excellent central location and is good value for money. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We booked here to be near the city centre, not knowing Southampton at all. One week - ONE WEEK before we were due to stay there we had to cancel as my husband was severely injured in an accident in Paris. They DO NOT refund the cost - and charge VAT as well.This is the usual scalping attitude we associate with Britain now. I would not recommend that you book at this hotel. In extremis you could turn up but on no account give them a credit card number but pay on leaving.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Not a place I would ever come to again to stay in Southampton as there are better hotels and Inns to stay at, rooms are horrible, too warm and also you cant open the windows as they are sealed up which is a bad sign if there is a fire there's no escape route out of the room in case of a fire, bathroom basic a portable fan in room to cool you down which is noisy, furniture is dated and rooms need a good overhaul so don,t expect the Ritz or anything like that. Also there is insufficient parking.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Mumbles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Great to be back staying at the Star, its a delightful hotel brim full of character and charm.

I stayed on my own this time and had a single room towards the back of the building (through the dining room) which was a new experience for me and was delighted with my large room for one person and the lovely old bathroom.

Couldn't find the remote control, but that probably wasn't a bad thing as it may be go and have a drink the bar for a drink and mix with people, rather than sitting in my room on my own.

I have stayed at the Star many times and even though I was on my own this time, I still thoroughly enjoyed it, as the staff are some friendly and welcoming. Great breakfast as well in the charming dining room.

Room Tip: I often stay with my partner in room 25, its an end room, quite large and querky, although it is fac...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Denmead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Good Points: For the price you pay, this hotel provides great value for money and a refreshing change to all the other big chain hotels in the area that I just find really bland and boring. We found that it has all you would expect from a budget hotel (we paid £45 for a double room). The room was clean and well furnished. The staff were also very nice and helpful and checked with us whern we left if we had been happy with our stay.

You have to bear in mind that this is not a brand new chain hotel but a historic coaching inn, so does have features fitting for that period.

It also has free wi-fi too which was a big plus point!

Bad Points: Its not really too much of a bad point but the hotel does not serve meals in the evenings or lunches (they just serve breakfast). Having said that though, there are so many other places to eat locally, it didn't bother us too much anyway.

All in all, a great value room in relation for the price we paid.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple