“Shabby but friendly”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel is in need of refurbishment but it was clean and comfortable and the staff were all friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good:tasty, hot and plentiful. We had 2 good nights' sleep though the room was small and the bathroom basic with just 2 very small bars of soap. If you're looking for luxury, or even decent paintwork, then The Star is not for you. However, it is well located for the Quay and the main shopping area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JayneR_11
There are newer reviews for Star Hotel

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

This is a cheap stay so if you just want a bed for the night then it's fine but nothing more. The decor is shabby and old but the bedrooms were very spacious with everything you would need. Breakfast was fine for the money .. wouldn't want to spend more than one night but price was good.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sue777
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed there for a long time, I mean 20 days till I found an stable accommodation. The receptionists, are usually Polish or Russian and very friendly and polite. The owners, old women, are on the quite rude though. The hotel is old, the elevator is old, the rooms are old but well furnished but still tiny. I hotel position is very ok, but far from univ. of south.
Cheers

Room Tip: The room are different but ask for the one in the main building, otherwise you have to move the bags...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Simon P
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I booked a room for staying a night in 25th February 2014, when I arrived to the hotel they said to me my reservation never came to them. I solved the problem my self, be aware they do not respect the reservations, they only gave the room to somebody else offered more money for room. I booked using booking.com, both of them were equally useless to help me.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank OmarDLR
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't go to it if you are looking to spend much time in your room. For me, it was just a crash pad. The staff seemed friendly, the bed was comfortable and I slept well. The decor is really, really old-fashioned and the hallway had an interesting smell. I'd stay again if I needed another cheap, centrally located, hotel. Nice that there was parking available. It did remind me of an old hostel or something, but it did the trick for what I was after: a place to dump my stuff off and return to in the wee hours of the morning for a few hours of sleep.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The staff were always very helpful and friendly and my room was clean and comfortable and warm. The only thing was I only got a bar of soap in my room and as I had not brought toiletries with me I had to use this also to wash my hair as I had not brought shampoo with me. It's in a great location right by the bus stop and taxi service so I got easily everywhere I needed to go which was great as I was travelling by train on this trip away. I would definitely return. I felt safe travelling alone, and was definitely welcomed by the very helpful staff there. For what I paid I thought it was super.

Room Tip: Room 10 was warm and cosy and I was very happy sleeping there, a great night's sleep. Good size...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank vinevisitors2010
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here for 1 night late Christmas Dinner Dance - arrived at 1925hrs, processed in 5mins by friendly/competent receptionist - room was old and tired, needing a renovation (new carpet + paint wouldn't go amiss) - enough room for double bed - wardrobe - dressing table and flat screen TV. View out of window was multi storey carpark. Ensuite was small - shower not powerful enough, had to use as hand shower,,
Upside was bedding was clean and shower room appeared tidy - also bed was memory foam mattress and reasonably comfortable.
Breakfast well worth the money and really enjoyed, many thanks to ladies who cooked.
24hr parking £4,