“Ok location but very dated”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
London, United Kingdom
“Ok location but very dated”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed at the Star Hotel for one Saturday night in June 2014 as part of a road trip.

The location of the hotel is ok with lots of restaurants on its door step. However, the downside was there are also nightclubs and bars nearby which meant it was very noisy right into the early hours. Not sure if this was only because it was a Saturday night though.

Service ranged from average from the staff that checked us in to very friendly/helpful to from the staff who checked us out.

Rooms were clean but the hotel was like a maze when trying to find your room for the first time.

The exterior is very warn and looks slightly dilapidated. There is a £4 per day charge to park in the hotel car park and spaces are limited.

Paid £80 per room which did not include breakfast.

Room Tip: avoid rooms facing the high street and near the elevator to reduce noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Newcastle, England
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is dated beyond belief, dirty and expensive. The bed was very uncomfortable but generally the room was not a place you would want to be. I stayed here as the location was good but stay somewhere else and get a taxi to where you want to be. So disappointed!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want to sleep well.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahnJ0hn

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

In need of a total refurb. Our room (number 12) was jaded, tired and no more than you would reasonably expect in an average b & b; poor flow of water from shower, missing lampshade above the bed, old t.v. with free view box had distorted sound. Everything about this hotel is shabby, the staff were functional and the maid on the last morning was somewhat abrupt in reminding us we had to check out in 3/4 minutes as it was almost 11am (we were just about to vacate the room so didn't need such a rude reminder!). We paid an average of £58 per night for our 2-night stay and even that was overpriced. The only real positives were the firm but comfy bed and the location in the centre of Southampton. Bit cheeky charging £4 for overnight parking!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My criteria for booking an overnight stay on 21 June was: central to the city, and an acceptable price. In this sense, a 50% hit rate could be seen as a success. We also only needed a hotel for a base to sleep in while we enjoyed a university pals reuinion.

However, my brief experience of The Star is such that a review is almost a moral imperative, lest the uninformed should make the mistake of booking a genuine stay here, with somebody like a wife or a child who will scream in shock at just how bad it is.

I ponder whether this place may even be categorised as a hotel. The last time it saw refurbishment must have been around the time of the Arab Israeli war, or perhaps more generously, when Ted Heath caved in to the miner's strike. Not so much as a vase or painting has been updated in decades. And it is musty, dark, chintzy beyond belief and actually quite scary.

I concluded fairly quickly (and was supported in my theory after getting feedback from friends who reviewed my smartphone pics I sent them) that the building was probably something out of the Stephen King novel 'The Shining'.

It is easy to see why. Outside my room on the first floor (seemingly the only actual bedroom on the wing) was a series of completely weird and out of context things. Like a little cordoned off seance area, complete with a made table and chairs (see my pics). And pointless clutter surrounding random doors and service areas, clearly none of which is ever put to use.

Was I imagining this? The 'Solent Lounge',whatever that is, directly opposite my room, was locked. Was this to keep the waves of blood at bay, or to stop me escaping when the apparitions came for me down the corridor? It was an almost terrifying place, devoid of humanity and with no actual connection to times gone past. I cannot even call it nostalgic or charming. Nostalgic for what, exactly? What period of British maritime history did this portray? Maybe I should wait for King's next nove and find out.

The rooms we booked (a twin and a single) were without doubt the most disgraceful rooms we had ever encountered on British soil. I've stayed in some horrendous hostels across the world in my time and nothing beats these for sheer depression in a bottle, released slowly into the atmosphere and hermetically sealed off into a pod of stultifying heat and misery.

My room came complete with some lovely suicide windows, decked out in lovely dusty nets and curtains that were tricky to reach. I appreciated the non view over an obscured hotel carpark which I had to pay for to let my car get haunted for a night.

The headboards were covered in inexplicable, dried substances, and the threshold to the bathroom had a revolting white stain on the carpet that made me heave with nausea. Sitting on the actual bed was interesting, as either side pops up as though the limbs of a willing barwench, enveloping you with their fusty, dockside charm.

Forget aircon; they gave us two turbo standing fans which pushed around hot air and failed to make the sweat stop running from my forehead.

My mate's room had the stuffing knocked out of the plasterboard, leaving several gaping wounds, because when they installed the room they forgot to put a doorstopper behind the door by the lower wall, so the handle created some damage. Doorstopper was put in at a later point by the looks of it, which is perhaps too little too late.

And she had a toilet in the actual shower, which is, I am sorry to say, just rank.

Given the hotel owner's reluctance to spend so much as a penny on this place, it was curious to see that where money had been spent, it was on very complex and up to date surveillance systems. Behind reception is a series of large flatscreen monitors rigged up to a computer, and behind these monitors may be found one, sometimes more, staff, pouring religiously over the images. As though waiting to catch someone doing something naughty somewhere in the hotel. The areas covered appeared to be communal in nature. Were they looking for thieves, mischievous guests? Nice to know us paying guests were safe and trusted.

Besides a fairly polite eastern european receptionist, I did not make much of the staff. An older guy who may or may not have been the owner returned a dodgy glare to my smile and ignored me on check in.

But with the Star being what it is, there probably was no such man at all. He was but a mere figment of the imagination, minus the axe.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
16 Thank Peter H
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This hotel whilst quite dated (and in need of a lick or two of paint) offers large clean rooms at a reasonable price.
The location is first class for anyone visiting the city centre for shopping, business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The awfully uncomfortable bed (very hard) and the very poor flow of water from the shower.
Had booked for two nights, brought husband along for a businesstrip and we were going to stay in the area for another 3 days. The hotel looks really shabby from the outside, it improved somewhat when getting in. Really friendly staff though.
The location is superb! We decided to continue our stay at Star hotel and do our excursion from this base.
However, after first night sleep i woke up with an aching back, washed hair but not possible to get all schampo out due to a very poor flow in shower (energy saving?) not even the fine english breakfast could make up for it.
We decided not to prolong our stay.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms at floor 3, some of them have windows facing another wall 1m away. Besides it...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Set on the high street this has a fantastic location for all the benefits of Southampton's centre and port. There's a great cafe opposite and a Weatherspoons two doors away. As a guest you stand a good chance of being able to park at the hotel too, for a modest additional fee.

A decent breakfast was offered (and accepted) in lieu of the TV in our room not working.

The rooms were clean with comfortable beds. Our rooms, as with most, were set back from the high street so noise levels were tolerable despite the old windows.

The hotel is friendly with helpful staff. It has charm and character, that would have at one time made it a premium hotel. Those days are gone however and the place is but a shodow of what it once was or could be. We were told that the front of the hotel is going to be freshened up imminently. This is important as it is in desperate need of such; my heart sank when I saw it and made me feel like I didn't want anyone else to know where I was staying.

Not to put too fine a point on it, the place needs considerable investment to bring it up to scratch. That said, they have the basics right and the price reflects it being a bit tired.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family