“NOT at all like others say!!”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 9 February 2011

The star hotel was absolutly perefect for our weekend away to visit our son! 2 minutes walk from town centre, no worries about where to park as parking is at the hotel, 8 minutes walk to our son's halls of residence (hudson).
Beautiful breakfast which is served at sensible times 8am - 10am on saturday and joy of joys 8am - 11am on a sunday! other hotels we have staed at insiste on breakfast at unearthly hours of 7 9am -honestly, who wants to get up THAT early when you are away for the weekend??
Very quaint and yes, could do with a lick of paint, BUT, very comfortable beds (I have had several back ops so have to be careful where I sllep) clean, Spotless bathrooms, no veiw fron our room but we didn't go there for a view!! and paking is £3 a day!!
Will certainly use this always now for visiting our son at uni! great find, thank you Star hotel for making us so welcome.
DON' T TAKE NOTICE OF THE OTHER REVIEWS IF YOU JUST WANT SOMEWHERE TO USE AS A BASE!! thank you xx

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denkie

Reviewed 23 January 2011

I booked a 2 night stay at the star hotel, southampton for me and my girlfirend just to get away for a couple of days. I chose the star because it was right in the middle of the city centre so we could leave the car in the hotel car park (at £3 per night) and walk into the shopping centres and the famous docks.
i had previously read some shocking reviews of the place but undetered i wanted to give it a try, upon arrival i went into the small hotel reception and asked about the parking, the lady behind the desk was very friendly and welcoming and gave me a ticket to place in the car and said that i could check in when i came back.
we were place on the 2nd floor in room 27, the room was clean and of medium size, the view overlooks the car park but who honestly spends their time away looking out the window? the shower was lovely and although the bathroom was small it was clean.
we didn't see anything in the way of an evening menu so we ventured out, next door was a weatherspoons though and that did us fine.
we went down to breakfast in the morning and were greeted by very friendly staff that were only too happy to help, we were offered tea/coffee and toast straight away and were told to help ourselves to the buffet breakfast, there was a traditional english cooked breakfast as well as a selection of cereals and juices, i ordered toast and coffee both days and by the time i have returned to the table with my breakfast the tea and toast was there! the breakfast itself was delicious and really set me up for the day, i was very glad that i paid the additional money for it, it was well worth it.
the rooms were equipped with freeview and all channels worked fantasically.
I could find no fault with the star hotel and would definatly return, please don't be put off by the negative reviews, if you are looking for a great stay very close to the centre of southampton that doesn't break the bank this is the place for you, my girlfreind and i were both very impressed and will be recommending to our friends

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this lovely old hotel. We are both from Southampton but now living in Wales and have wanted to stay at the Star Hotel for many years, after hearing such good reports from our friends (only ever had a drink in the bar before). We booked the last room available which happened to be a four poster bed, which was a genuine antique and very creaky, but it much more authentic and fun. The floor to our room sloped away to the left, which we also thought was hilarious, especially when the wardrobe door kept shutting (at least I think it was due to the floor and not a ghost!!!). Yes, the hotel is old and a little tired, but to be honest we loved it like that. We found the hotel to be extremely clean and tidy. The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful.

We visited some friends who were staying up the road at the Jurys in and we came away thinking how lucky we were staying at the star. The Jurys in was large, full of people, very unpersonal and extremely noisy (cars and visitors) (our friends were on the nineth floor, so there were hundreds of rooms).

The charm and character of the hotel is wonderful and highly recommended (especially to our forgeign visitors who will love it). The central location is perfect for visitors and there are some lovely rooms to the rear of hotel if guests want quieter rooms.

I agree with the previous reviewer, some of the other reviews here are very harsh and I do wonder what people want sometimes from a hotel. If you are thinking of staying here, please give the Star a try as I am sure you won't regret it

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2010

On the arrival we found that room wasn't prepared.
Due to the warm day I wanted to open the single sash window but it wasn't
possible because the rope in the mechanism of the window was snapped.
The electric kettle was out of order because the switch didn't work.
The room wasn't clean for non-smokers because there was cigarette ash next
to a telephone. (we booked non-smokers)

I reported the faults to reception and it was recorded but the receptionist
couldn't place us in an alternative room because the hotel was fully booked.

I am asked via email the General manager Ms Debbie Owens for refund again
because my statutory , consumer rights were undermined by the Star Hotel
management and failure to provide the prepared
room when no alternatives were offered.
Yet, the full price of £45 was charged and till today my complaint was
ignored.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2010

This place is not a dump neither it filthy etc, but for some reason almost everything there remained to desire more. For example, the room itself, bath and bed linen were very clean, but small serving table was covered with a dirty tablecloth and had a dusty phone on top.

We liked the price, location, service and breakfast. We hated the noizy side, uncomfortable bed, absense of shampoo, dusty phone, dirty tablecloth, old fashioned tv with 3 channels.

Overall worth the price we paid and OK for a stopover.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Booked as it was close to car park but regret doing so! room was dirty and very noisy. had to request toiletries as there wasn't even a bar of soap in the bathroom. Opened windows as the room was very stuffy and smelt of other people . Bed linen was clean though the valance was too big for the lower half of the bed and we kept getting our feet caught in it. Tiny wardroom but plent of drawer space. No instruction regarding the phone or breakfast times etc. tv was very old huge thing but small screen and so low down you couldn't see it when you were in bed. Basically this needs to be refurbished it is very tired and the housekeeper either doesn't have enough staff to do a thorough room clean or isn't that bothered. The staff were very pleasant however we discovered that breakfast was £7 each so we went next door to the Wetherspoons and had a really good breakfast for £2.95!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We booked this very last minute as we realised we could get a "four poster" room for the same cost as a room in a travelodge. Really wasn't worth the money! The bed was very creaky and kept me awake all night. The room was very basic - literally just the bed and a tiny table which just about fitted the kettle. The one mirror was in the darkest corner with no plug points nearby and the cupboard looked like it was going to fall apart at any minute.
The bathroom was dark, and the extractor made so much noise it was impossible to have a conversation!
I looked under the bed when I woke up and realised that it was held together by a piece of 4x2 timber and the props that should be in place had fallen over and one was hidden behind the radiator!
On the positive side breakfast was nice and plentiful and the staff were fairly helpful, the location was good as it was right in centre of town.
I will not be booking in here again

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple