Star Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
Grand Harbour Hotel(Southampton)
View Hotel
All reviewsold coaching innlocation is idealbit datedcomfy bedquay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We stayed at the Star Hotel for one night (Saturday) and it really wasn't that bad, but it is VERY old fashioned and it definitely smells (and looks) like an old people's home! It reminded me of Fawlty Towers and although we found it funny, I wouldn't really recommend more than a night here. However, having said that, the rooms were generally quite clean, the beds were relatively comfortable and bedding was crisp and clean.
Pros:
- Location (right in the centre of town)
- Car parking (£3 for the night)
- price
- Really friendly staff
Cons:
- Badly in need of a re-furb (peeling paint, stained carpets, smelly upholstery, etc.)
- Poor security (the window in our room was permanently ajar and couldn't be closed)

Traditional is not really the word to describe this hotel - that gives the impression of quaint and well maintained, which this hotel is certainly not. Although we had a good weekend, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone I know.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We went with the expectation that this would be a bad choice after reading some reviews, However I was pleasantly surprised.
The staff are friendly and I was impressed by the size of our room. It had a king size "very comfy" and clean bed at one end and a single at the other. my partner was happy with the massive dresser table that she could do her make up and hair at.
There was a choice of breakfast "full English, cereal, toast, porridge"
We had room 15 and paid £50 for the night and i will be using the Star again.
Its not the Ritz but I am judging this on the room that we had and was very happy with it.

Reviewed 12 February 2011

Room 5: I do not expect luxury but a good bed to sleep is not so much to ask? It was outdated, worn out, there was not even a chair or something to hold my bag. I tried putting the sloppy matrass on the ground, but no improvement. Desperately trying to cling on to the bed I put on my clothes and used the spread to support not falling off. I was glad it was time to get up and get out. The shower was hot - though the cabine including toilet very small. Carpet worn out, ropes to turn on/off light tacky.
2nd night I asked for another room and I got room 14 - a small double bed, a little less terrible and a few more pillows to support. Walls are like paper - you hear everything in the room next to you. Staff were friendly but still... NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2011

The star hotel was absolutly perefect for our weekend away to visit our son! 2 minutes walk from town centre, no worries about where to park as parking is at the hotel, 8 minutes walk to our son's halls of residence (hudson).
Beautiful breakfast which is served at sensible times 8am - 10am on saturday and joy of joys 8am - 11am on a sunday! other hotels we have staed at insiste on breakfast at unearthly hours of 7 9am -honestly, who wants to get up THAT early when you are away for the weekend??
Very quaint and yes, could do with a lick of paint, BUT, very comfortable beds (I have had several back ops so have to be careful where I sllep) clean, Spotless bathrooms, no veiw fron our room but we didn't go there for a view!! and paking is £3 a day!!
Will certainly use this always now for visiting our son at uni! great find, thank you Star hotel for making us so welcome.
DON' T TAKE NOTICE OF THE OTHER REVIEWS IF YOU JUST WANT SOMEWHERE TO USE AS A BASE!! thank you xx

1  Thank Denkie
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I booked a 2 night stay at the star hotel, southampton for me and my girlfirend just to get away for a couple of days. I chose the star because it was right in the middle of the city centre so we could leave the car in the hotel car park (at £3 per night) and walk into the shopping centres and the famous docks.
i had previously read some shocking reviews of the place but undetered i wanted to give it a try, upon arrival i went into the small hotel reception and asked about the parking, the lady behind the desk was very friendly and welcoming and gave me a ticket to place in the car and said that i could check in when i came back.
we were place on the 2nd floor in room 27, the room was clean and of medium size, the view overlooks the car park but who honestly spends their time away looking out the window? the shower was lovely and although the bathroom was small it was clean.
we didn't see anything in the way of an evening menu so we ventured out, next door was a weatherspoons though and that did us fine.
we went down to breakfast in the morning and were greeted by very friendly staff that were only too happy to help, we were offered tea/coffee and toast straight away and were told to help ourselves to the buffet breakfast, there was a traditional english cooked breakfast as well as a selection of cereals and juices, i ordered toast and coffee both days and by the time i have returned to the table with my breakfast the tea and toast was there! the breakfast itself was delicious and really set me up for the day, i was very glad that i paid the additional money for it, it was well worth it.
the rooms were equipped with freeview and all channels worked fantasically.
I could find no fault with the star hotel and would definatly return, please don't be put off by the negative reviews, if you are looking for a great stay very close to the centre of southampton that doesn't break the bank this is the place for you, my girlfreind and i were both very impressed and will be recommending to our friends

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple