“THE WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. THE OWNER IS A COMPLETE MADMAN!”
Review of Royal Wok

Royal Wok
Ranked #639 of 890 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A new Chinese restaurant where the City Bejing restaurant used to be.
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The service we experienced in this place was absolutely disgraceful! We have been to this place before last year and the service was excellent and the food was first class, the owner was very friendly and really went out of his way for you which i thought was great.

So I decided to come here for my birthday, little to my knowledge that the restaurant had new management, We had a table booked for 6 of us. When we arrived the owner approached us, he barely spoke a word of english, rushed us into our seats dumped the menus down and just left us.

20, 30 minutes passed and no one came to see us we hadn't even ordered drinks! We noticed that there were other tables of people sat down looking very annoyed as they were waiting for ages too. In the end we tried to call over a waiter and eventually we got 1 and ordered drinks, he said they will be with us shortly...yeah right! Another 20 minutes passed and yep you guess it no sign of our drinks. The waiter passed us many times and we asked whats going on with our drinks and he replied 'there on their way' another 10 minutes passed and still nothing.

We got our drinks eventually and we still had't ordered food yet! We ordered and the waitress had to list the price of every item we ordered as there computer was not working and they had to write everything down manually.

We ordered becks draught and to say it was a little watered down would be the understatement of the year. Two of us complained and wanted a different drink and the waitress said she had to confirm it with the owner. The big man came to our table and said there was nothing wrong with the beer, and even tried to give us the number of the place they get the beer from. He refused to resolve the problem and get us another round of drinks, insisting that we pay for these drinks, we had only had a sip.

The owner started shouting to the waitress in chinese which was humiliating, she looked very upset and scared! At this point we decided it was best that we got up and left. Whilst doing this the owner became quite aggressive and told us to sit back down, we told him his service was an absolute disgrace and we are going!

Just as we got up to leave another couple left too, and the owner was arguing with them but they'd had enough of the terrible service also. As we were walking down the stairs out of the place the owner was stood at the top shouting at us in chinese very loudly and aggressively we couldn't understand what he was saying but was very unhappy that we left.

The main man wasn't finished there as we got outside walking away, he decided to follow us all the way and was again shouting at us in chinese and pointing at us telling us he wants money from us, and asking if we were english? what does that have to do with anything!

For some reason he was pointing aggressively at my mum like a madman! I told him again that your business won't survive the way you are. He didn't listen to anything you say he was so arrogant and talking over you all the time. Who the hell does he think he is!

In the end it was a funny experience, 1 that i will never forget in a hurry. We never got round to the food as we left but as it says in the title the service it could not have been worse!

AVOID AT ALL COSTS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

9  Thank aaron f

Reviewed 4 October 2013

My family are regulars at this restaurant, previously know as Royal Wok, and were always very happy with the service and the quality of the dishes were exquisite. On the 4th of September, we came to have dinner at the restaurant having booked a table for 3 at 7pm. As we arrived, however, we were informed that apparently we didn't make a reservation. Turns out the reservation had been put down for the next day!! Instead of having a table in the main area we were put in one of the upstairs karaoke rooms to eat. All of this though is forgivable but what isn't is the attitude of the new manager. Our food took nearly an hour to arrive and most of the staff were very polite and apologetic. However, the manager then came and when I made a complaint, fairly politely I might add, about the time it took to get served, he became very irratable. Naturally I wasn't happy about this and made this known to him. He then proceeded to SHOUT at me!!!! I think this is the first time I've actually been shouted at by someone serving me. The distinct lack of respect that this man showed to me, my mother and father was incredible. At one point he even mocked me, putting on a baby voice. I found this genuinely appalling. I know he is new here because I knew the old owner who was great and ran the restaurant very well. But now it is obvious that it is much less organised than before. The waiters don't even know what's going on because of the incompetence of the manager.

To conclude, the lack of organisation of the restaurant is not good but is understandable and forgivable. But the lack of respect the manager showed customers was completely UNACCEPTABLE. I came here to have dinner, not get shouted at.

7  Thank adanant
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Royal Wok used to be excellent with a lovely owner and friendly service, we had our pre wedding dinner here and used to eat here regularly! The new owner is managing the restaurant front of house himself and he is extremely rude and obnoxious. He shouts across the restaurant, tells off his staff in front of guests and he even started an argument with us after being rude to my wife! We walked out together with the neighbouring table on a busy Friday night and we all got shouted at and verbally abused by the owner on our way out of the place, believe it or not! This was genuinely the worst restaurant experience I have ever had! Do not go to this place!

2  Thank Gallopinggourmets
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant several times before and had always liked it as the owner and staff were excellent, as was the quality of the set menu. The previous owner was lovely man who always remembered us, as he probably did with regular customers, as that to me is a sign of a good manager. However, I was in Southampton last week and two of us went to the restaurant on Thursday 19 Sept.2013 only to be very disappointed to find that it had changed hands. A waitress came to show us to a table and as I sat down the new owner proceeded to have an argument with her in Chinese at our table, then tried to explain that it was a Chinese holiday and we were shoved on a tiny table next to a child's high chair in a corner at the back. My friend and I decided to leave and said it was because we weren't happy with the small table and as there were 2 tables available, next to one that was also only occupied by 2 people, why were we being shoved in a corner. We couldn't understand a word of what the new owner was saying, however he eventually let us have the original table we had been offered, still muttering about it being a Chinese holiday ! Anyway, in hind sight, I wish we'd left anyway, the service was poor and slow, I'm convinced the waitress didn't speak English as I asked for the dish of peanuts 3 times and each time got anything but, the new owner ran around like a headless chicken all evening, the main dishes were not a patch on what they were previously, despite being told they had kept the same chef, and on paying the bill, I never did get my change and ended up walking out. Without wishing to sound racist, this is Southampton we were in, and if this chap wants to soley cater to the Chinese then I suggest he opens a restaurant in Shanghai.

6  Thank Jackie H
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We went to the Royal Wok for a Saturday lunch. The food itself was not particularly bad, but the service was the worst we have ever experienced (and believe us, we have traveled quite a bit). First, the waitress who came to take our drinks and food order was not friendly at all. We ordered a menu for two people that included some starters, main course, and desserts. After 10 minutes the starters arrived, everything seemed to go well. But then, we finished the starters and had to wait almost 70 minutes for the main course, 70 minutes! No one apologized for that. By the time the main courses arrived we were not hungry anymore. Also, while we were waiting, a couple and a family of three arrived and, after being seated, they were completely ignored. After 15 minutes being ignored, both the couple and the family left the restaurant. To make things worse, after finishing the main courses we were waiting for our desserts (which were included in the menu that we ordered). After 10 minutes, we asked the waitress and apparently she had forgotten that our menu included desserts. At that point we asked her to bring the check, we paid and left the restaurant without having the dessert. Overall a terrible experience.

4  Thank FrancescJP