“Delicious food!”

Royal Wok
Ranked #638 of 890 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A new Chinese restaurant where the City Bejing restaurant used to be.
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My partner and I were staying at the Mercure Dolphin hotel across the road when we saw this place. As we both fancied a Chinese meal we asked at the hotel reception and were told they had heard it was nice. So in we went at 6.30 and ordered the set meal b. the starter selection was delicious and to be honest it almost filled us up before the second course of shredded duck arrived of which there was plenty. When the main arrived we looked at each other and both said we were stuffed but dug in. We do like are food so this was a mean feat. The food was wonderful and the service was good. The restaurant was getting busy by the time we left and quite a few Chinese people had arrived in different groups which to me says it all. We are regular Chinese eaters and this is the best meal we have had in many years, shame we live in Berks! If we lived closer I would have taken the main course home. The waiter/manager was a nice guy very friendly and quite funny I don't understand the comments having been made by previous feed backs. Go, it's great food! The bill was £40 and a few pence which included a coke and a lime and soda.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has now changed its name to Hai Shui and the new owner has been on place for about 7 months, so he told us.
We ate here some 18m ago under the old ownership and in spite of the negative comments on Tripadvisor decided whilst in Southampton to try it once again.
Greeted very warmly by the owner and all of their colleagues. Food was excellent, plentiful and good value. Service was also very attentive and we had no complaints at all.
The very pleasant and friendly owner sat with us for several minutes afterwards and chatted.
Would thoroughly recommend to anyone.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

As a Chinese living in Southampton, I haven't found any good Chinese restaurants in town yet. Someone recommended this one to me a while ago. I did enjoy it the first time I visited but it went downhill afterwards as the dishes were getting more and more oily and spicy and all seemed to taste quite similar. I regretted every time I returned to dine there but unfortunately there weren't many alternatives in town. I visited it recently after the change of name & owner & chef. I only ordered two dishes as I ate on my own. I would say the two dishes I had were the same as before. As for the service, the young girl who served me was very friendly and efficient. I did see the new owner taking order from an European family. He made some mistakes and wasn't talking in a very friendly tone but I didn't think it was intentional - it's more like a lost in translation. Overall, I think it's an average restaurant. I may have to go back again if my friends insist to go or I'm desperate for some Chinese food.

2  Thank E721
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Had a really good dinner here. Food was really tasty and not at all adapted to English tastes but truly original Chinese. A really good meal for four with drinks was only £58. Excellent value. Service was fine and although their computer system was down they coped well. The manager about whom other reviewers are referring was friendly and shook our hands upon leaving. I would certainly return.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

The service we experienced in this place was absolutely disgraceful! We have been to this place before last year and the service was excellent and the food was first class, the owner was very friendly and really went out of his way for you which i thought was great.

So I decided to come here for my birthday, little to my knowledge that the restaurant had new management, We had a table booked for 6 of us. When we arrived the owner approached us, he barely spoke a word of english, rushed us into our seats dumped the menus down and just left us.

20, 30 minutes passed and no one came to see us we hadn't even ordered drinks! We noticed that there were other tables of people sat down looking very annoyed as they were waiting for ages too. In the end we tried to call over a waiter and eventually we got 1 and ordered drinks, he said they will be with us shortly...yeah right! Another 20 minutes passed and yep you guess it no sign of our drinks. The waiter passed us many times and we asked whats going on with our drinks and he replied 'there on their way' another 10 minutes passed and still nothing.

We got our drinks eventually and we still had't ordered food yet! We ordered and the waitress had to list the price of every item we ordered as there computer was not working and they had to write everything down manually.

We ordered becks draught and to say it was a little watered down would be the understatement of the year. Two of us complained and wanted a different drink and the waitress said she had to confirm it with the owner. The big man came to our table and said there was nothing wrong with the beer, and even tried to give us the number of the place they get the beer from. He refused to resolve the problem and get us another round of drinks, insisting that we pay for these drinks, we had only had a sip.

The owner started shouting to the waitress in chinese which was humiliating, she looked very upset and scared! At this point we decided it was best that we got up and left. Whilst doing this the owner became quite aggressive and told us to sit back down, we told him his service was an absolute disgrace and we are going!

Just as we got up to leave another couple left too, and the owner was arguing with them but they'd had enough of the terrible service also. As we were walking down the stairs out of the place the owner was stood at the top shouting at us in chinese very loudly and aggressively we couldn't understand what he was saying but was very unhappy that we left.

The main man wasn't finished there as we got outside walking away, he decided to follow us all the way and was again shouting at us in chinese and pointing at us telling us he wants money from us, and asking if we were english? what does that have to do with anything!

For some reason he was pointing aggressively at my mum like a madman! I told him again that your business won't survive the way you are. He didn't listen to anything you say he was so arrogant and talking over you all the time. Who the hell does he think he is!

In the end it was a funny experience, 1 that i will never forget in a hurry. We never got round to the food as we left but as it says in the title the service it could not have been worse!

AVOID AT ALL COSTS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

9  Thank aaron f