“Favorite Chinese place”

Royal Wok
Ranked #641 of 870 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A new Chinese restaurant where the City Bejing restaurant used to be.
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I love Chinese food and a classmate of mine recommended this place. I was so impressed because the owner was treating us like we were the only people in the restaurant! The food was great, the service perfect! I`ve been going there at least once a month for a year now!

There are newer reviews for Royal Wok

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My partner and I were staying at the Mercure Dolphin hotel across the road when we saw this place. As we both fancied a Chinese meal we asked at the hotel reception and were told they had heard it was nice. So in we went at 6.30 and ordered the set meal b. the starter selection was delicious and to be honest it almost filled us up before the second course of shredded duck arrived of which there was plenty. When the main arrived we looked at each other and both said we were stuffed but dug in. We do like are food so this was a mean feat. The food was wonderful and the service was good. The restaurant was getting busy by the time we left and quite a few Chinese people had arrived in different groups which to me says it all. We are regular Chinese eaters and this is the best meal we have had in many years, shame we live in Berks! If we lived closer I would have taken the main course home. The waiter/manager was a nice guy very friendly and quite funny I don't understand the comments having been made by previous feed backs. Go, it's great food! The bill was £40 and a few pence which included a coke and a lime and soda.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has now changed its name to Hai Shui and the new owner has been on place for about 7 months, so he told us.
We ate here some 18m ago under the old ownership and in spite of the negative comments on Tripadvisor decided whilst in Southampton to try it once again.
Greeted very warmly by the owner and all of their colleagues. Food was excellent, plentiful and good value. Service was also very attentive and we had no complaints at all.
The very pleasant and friendly owner sat with us for several minutes afterwards and chatted.
Would thoroughly recommend to anyone.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

As a Chinese living in Southampton, I haven't found any good Chinese restaurants in town yet. Someone recommended this one to me a while ago. I did enjoy it the first time I visited but it went downhill afterwards as the dishes were getting more and more oily and spicy and all seemed to taste quite similar. I regretted every time I returned to dine there but unfortunately there weren't many alternatives in town. I visited it recently after the change of name & owner & chef. I only ordered two dishes as I ate on my own. I would say the two dishes I had were the same as before. As for the service, the young girl who served me was very friendly and efficient. I did see the new owner taking order from an European family. He made some mistakes and wasn't talking in a very friendly tone but I didn't think it was intentional - it's more like a lost in translation. Overall, I think it's an average restaurant. I may have to go back again if my friends insist to go or I'm desperate for some Chinese food.

2  Thank E721
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Had a really good dinner here. Food was really tasty and not at all adapted to English tastes but truly original Chinese. A really good meal for four with drinks was only £58. Excellent value. Service was fine and although their computer system was down they coped well. The manager about whom other reviewers are referring was friendly and shook our hands upon leaving. I would certainly return.