All reviews new forest rock pegs hard standing large site shop on site camping trip well stocked shop quiet pitch flight path lovely site may bank holiday clean site toilet shower wild ponies push button site staff plenty of hot water
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We have just returned from a week's stay at the Holmsley Campsite, we have stayed numerous times in the New Forest camping and felt like a change of site, campsites with electric hook ups are in short supply so came across Holmsley.
Check in was absolutley diabolical, met with Stuart who had absolutely no customer service skills whatsoever! We queued for 10 mins to be seen, we were told by Stuart that he did not have a clue where the electric hook up pitches were so just had to drive around and look for one, was that ok????? we were asked? I replied have you not been here long then and he said it was not that but he just did not know where they were and that was it, we were just expected to drive around and find a spot with electric without a clue at all. I said customer service is not high on the agenda here then? and the reply I got was Go on Trip Advisor why don't you? very nice!!!
Not a good start.
However, we found a pitch finally one left with hook up - pitched.. Showers very clean and very powerful and I have very thick naturally curly hair so I am very fussy about showers. Yes you have to press a button to activate and keep pressing but that is no problem at all. very warm, clean and never queued and the site was full so no problem there at all.
The only thing I would say they are very slack on the rule of 3m between tents and caravans etc as when it came to Friday it was so packed like sardines it was not funny.
Glad we came home yesterday to be honest.!
Shop well stocked and had baked french sticks on demand! So plus and minus to be honest do not think I would go back!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank j0f69
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We decided on a spontaneous camping trip to enjoy the last of the summer!! We originally were planning on going to Avon Tyrrell but drove in there, drove round and drove back to Holmsley.
On arrival we were greeted by friendly (but clearly tired) people and were given a map so we could choose where to pitch for the night...
We drove around and found a suitable place to put the tent up, the site seemed very busy and full of a mixture of caravans and tents. We were fairly near to a shower block which had it's advantages with a 3 year old and disadvantages, when you could hear people in the middle of the night trudging to the loo!!!
The shop was fairly well stocked and reasonably priced. The takeaway on site was open but we decided to go out for dinner.. Lots of people did seem to want to use those facilities.
Shower blocks were cleaned daily so they were closed for 2hrs (!!!!) everyday... Showers were hot but intermittently boiling so had to be careful when showering my son. You are asked to mop out the shower after use but whilst in there I did not see anyone do this... Which is probably why it was fairly wet and muddy the next morning. One of the shower blocks boilers were broken so all of the showers in there were closed.
Although the site was quiet after about 10pm you could clearly hear the noise from the main road which sounds like it surrounds the site as you feel like the cars are driving round you in circles!!!
Holmsley is in the middle of the forest and is just what we wanted from a camping trip in the new forest, so to say it is isolated really doesn't matter!!! We drove 10 mins to Christchurch where we had a lovely afternoon on the beach and good meal. Lyndhurst in the other direction is a little further but so is everything in this part of the country...!!!
Play park was adequate for our son and he enjoyed playing in there on more than one occasion.
All in all a good weekend was had... Site was ok!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Stayed 3 nights this years late August bank holiday. Predictably it was rammed and tents were pitched too close together with no sign of this being policed but that was to be expected I suppose. Facilities however were pretty good for a campsite and the shop was reasonably priced for most items unless you wanted beans and cereal. Bags of ice a very reasonable £1.50 kept my beer cold so that's pretty much all I cared about.

Lessons learned were that pretty much any campsite on that weekend will be like a festival, so avoid if you want to relax. Initially I was unimpressed but after a stay (sort of) at Roundhill near Brockenhurst this weekend it was heaven on earth :-)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Before the c&c club got involved with this site you could camp here for £ 8 a night it was packed on bank holidays u were lucky to find a space to pitch
I stayed here aug bank holiday 2012 after using a different site for 3 years booked a pitch for my tent
To see if it had changed
Can't see the point why u book a pitch and told u can put tent up where ever what's the point in that ? Very noisy site till well past 2300
There was lots of room to pitch tents the c&c club have come in with rules over charge campers for pitches that are not marked out and said camp site full
There shop is very small now was the size of the shop and reception
Now very over priced
I've been camping in this area for over 16 years 13 at holmsley before it had new owners plenty of eating places and shops in christchurch and new milton lymington there are other campsites that have swimming pools and entertainment for the same price near Barton on sea
If they marked the pitches out cleaned the toilets out more often and went back to a bigger shop and didn't rip campers off it would be a good site
£15 for an extra car no wonder people leave cars outside the gate
Come on c&c Club u have been doing it long enough give campers and cavavaners a fair price

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We arrived on thursday evening, the site was pretty empty at this point, we pitched up in a nice big area with only a couple of other tents around. We went out on Friday and came back in the afternoon to 3 huge tents surrounding us, they say you are supposed to leave 3m between tents but these were touching our guy ropes. Nobody around to actually check that people aren't pitching to close. Complete free for all, was completly packed and more people were still arriving trying to find somewhere to pitch up. My car almost got blocked in by someone trying to pitch in front of it.
We had a group of 2/3 famililies next to us screaming and shouting til 2am and using behind our tent as a toilet. Ridicolous. We ended up leaving early as we couldn't handle another night of no sleep, and no way of catching up on sleep during the day with all the children running around.

Overall the facitlites are pretty good, but with no actual set out pitches and the sheer amount of people they allow in don't go expecting a nice relaxing holiday because it unlikely that is what you will get!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple