“Ticks all the boxes”

Ranked #27 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Ticks all the boxes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We needed to find budget accommodation for a one night stop over in Southampton before getting the ferry to the IOW.
Found this place on the internet. Spotlessly clean room, very nice breakfast and a pleasant host. Thanks John for your hospitality, I would heartily recommend this place to any of my friends.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank anticaravan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cardiff, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed just for one night, before catching a boat. Very comfortable beds, clean rooms (and the single room was quite spacious with a decent bathroom, which you don't always get!) The owner was friendly and helpful, and made contact before our arrival (booked online). We were travelling in a group of four, needing a family room and a single, which is not always easy to find in the same place, and we only ended up here because the more obvious places were all booked up, but I would certainly consider staying here again - it's convenient both for the centre of town and the docks but quiet and we all had a good night's sleep. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

I work away from home and travel by car so when i book a hotel/b&b i always ask if they have parking available and the owner John told me he did. I got there after work on Monday to find there was only 3 parking spaces at the front which are VERY tight. Luckily there was one available but it was so close to the other car they wouldn't have been able to get in. I was really quite annoyed as i was expecting parking like the owner said anyway i knocked on the door and John came out and i asked him where am i suppose to park? He said find a space in the road which was full, this annoyed me further. After waiting in my car for 5 mins thinking that i wish i had never booked here i found a spot down the road.

John said he had parking which is not a lie but VERY MISLEADING when you have 11 rooms and only 3 spaces. I think he should be more HONEST and say he only has 3 TIGHT spaces.
Also you cannot park on the road between 8am and 6pm also the spaces are very limited.

There are several B&B's on the same road all next door to each other all with about 3 spaces at the front apart from Hunters Lodge who have 10.

He also demanded payment up front and said this is our policy. This was NOT mentioned prior to me arriving. I asked if i could pay tomorrow as i needed to go to the cash point but he said no, so i gave him £100 which is all i had at the time.

I stayed in a double it was clean. Just watch you dont burn yourself as the water in the hot tap is VERY hot after about a minute

wifi was a 4 out of 10

Breakfast was about a 6 out of 10

I would stay again if i had no other choice. I didn't like the fact that he mislead me just to get my business and demanded payment up front.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kingsbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

Pros:

1) the room was clean and in good condition
2) the bed was comfortable
3) the breakfast was tasty: two rashers of bacon, one sausage, mushrooms, tomato, eggs, toast, tea, cereal
4) the host was friendly and welcoming
5) the price was reasonable

Cons:

None that I can think of. The radio didn't work properly, but it didn't matter because I could get radio on the TV.

Room Tip: I was in room 5, which had a nice big bathroom, and it was at the back of the house, so was pretty q...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reading
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

I am just back home and I can't help but write about my stay in this lovely B&B. I was staying in this charming b&b for two weeks (no weekends) for the purposes of my studies and exams and I was totally happy with it. The owner/manager, John, was very friendly and helpful with the booking, accommodation,any requests that I had and really makes the guest feel welcome.
The room I stayed at was a twin room, spacious with large windows, en suite, very cosy and very clean. The room was made up every day as well. Bathroom was very clean, small, but yet functional and comfortable. Towels were crispy white and smelled nice.
There were coffee and tea facilities refreshed every day, flat screen tv and free wi-fi!
Breakfast is served in a nice dining room, typical English breakfast, which I personally am not very fond of. However, there is a plenty of cereals, juices, toasts, just as per the menu on their website.
Location - on a quite street with quite a few other b&b-s,very convenient for the station, 5 min
walking to the station. There is a parking, 3 spaces in front of the house and across the street you can park over the night.
All in all, the place is a perfect place, clean, comfortable, quiet and definitely value for money!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here one night while watching a comedy show.
The owner was lovely and very welcoming. The room had everything we needed and was very clean. Bed was comfortable. The breakfast the next morning was lovely. Very good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

We stayed as a family group at Landguard Lodge: older grandparents in a twin room and mum/aunt and two children in a family room. We were made extremely welcome, and had lots of contact with the owner in the week beforehand to make sure we were clear about and happy with arrangments for our stay. The whole place was spotlessly clean, with warm, comfortable and well-equipped rooms in which everything worked. Breakfast was a real treat! Our trip to Southampton was a 1-off trip down memory lane, but we will be back to stay at Landguard Lodge and see a show at the Mayflower just down the road.

The price we paid was a real bargain for such a great stay.

Room Tip: Family room on the top floor (no 12) was spacious and very well-organised.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family