“Traditional, with good sized accommdation”

Elizabeth House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 1 September 2011

A well situated hotel for looking around Southampton and well placed for the University which we were visiting.
Good clean comfortable room, well furnished and decorated and quiet.
Traditional hotel with breakfast being served rather than a buffet. Good service, would recommend. No horror stories here!!

Room Tip: The back rooms will be quieter as it is near a main road.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank clipclop62

Reviewed 28 August 2011

We needed a hotel for one night as we were visiting a friend in Portswood. Once again, we returned to this hotel after an absence of two years. It was even better than before. We were given a spacious room with all mod cons - spotlessly clean, courtesy tray, immaculate bathroom, excellent comfortable beds and chairs, and flat screen television.
Breakfast was a feast with cereals , grapefruit halves, fruit juices, yogurts, ham, cheese and a large choice and variation of full Engllish, and two fish dishes. We shall definitely return, hopefully not having left it for so long.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lacey27
Reviewed 24 August 2011

For some strange reason the tray with the tea/coffee making equipment was hidden away in one of the cupboards - whilst the kettle was in the wardrobe?
A ploy perhaps so that the majority don't find? (One would only search around if one was aware that Tea making facilities were advertised)
Could not be accidental, as we booked two rooms and the stuff was hidden away in both.
Apart from that, our stay was satisfactory, and the 'full English' breakfast very good.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AlmaLondon
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Stayed one night at the Elizabeth House prior to our weeks cruise. Room was basically furnished but very clean with a very comfortable bed, and a huge en-suite. Room was very quiet considering the hotel is on the main road. Parked the car here for a week, taxi ride to the P&O terminal is around £7- £8. Staff very friendly, good value meal and wine in the bistro downstairs.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank john h
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This is a 2*-rated hotel and the service provided is perfectly consistent with that. Reasonable value for money as the hotel is fairly central and offers adequate parking. Breakfasts were very good. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank petite100
Reviewed 30 May 2011

A friendly women greated us at the reception, gave us the keys. She the then took us to an outside building and said your rooms are just there, she quickly went back outside. After walking looking around we realised our rooms must be upstairs. Good job mum at 79 is in good shape for her age so we took our cases upstairs.

We were soon ready for the advertised Restauant and Bar after reading the Menus that had been left in our rooms. The Laterooms and Trip Advisor advertise these. So we were a bit shocked that when we walked back to the main building to find Lizzie's Bar and Bistro in complete darkness. A man at reception then explained its only open during the week and recommended a Bar 300 yards down the road.

The Room was bit chilly, the high of the day was around 13c and there was no heating in the room, we tried turning the radiators back on but no luck. There was a party or bar opposite playing pop music that kept me awake until I used ear plugs. Single glazed windows etc. The wall paper in the bath room was mouldy around the clean towels but there was plenty of hot water and the bath and toilet were clean. The room had a new TV.

The wifi had a good signal, we did have to enter an email address, name along with the pass key, I guess so they can spam us. For some reason the google home page was always redirected to the hotels front page which didn't offer a search.

We got down to breakfast at 8:30 (served from 8 to 10). Unlike my brother I didn't want the full English so I asked for egg on toast and was happy when two were offered. When they arrived it was just a plate of two slightly under cooked (for my taste) fried eggs without any toaste. With some effort I managed to get the lightly cooked eggs under some toaste that was already on the table. My brother enjoyed his full English and there was a good choice of serials. All the above take some time to be eaten and served so I was slightly shocked that we were asked to leave our table just before I had a chance to finish off my last corner or toaste and finish my last mouthfull of tea. They wanted the table for other guests. Maybe 55 mins is too long for a relaxed breakfast?

We booked 2 rooms, these can take 6 people (3 each) and paid the full price of £80. We did this for the advertised facilities. So feel a bit let down that the Bar and Bristro wasn't open, the slightly mouldy wallpaper and cold room. We knew it was on main road, mum said the disco on the opposite side of the road did stop I guess sometime around 10:30 - midnight.

I think I would be writing a more positive review if we were charged £20 less per room. Slightly like Fawlty Towers but without the Bar. At least on Fawlty Towers they were shown to there rooms.

The beds & towels were clean and plenty of hot water!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Michael_Nothampton
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Stayed for 2 nights at this hotel in May whilst visiting friends.

Had a very comfortable room and though a single was booked, had a double bedded room. My room was in a separate building to the main hotel which was fine for me and no doubt quieter which is what I had requested.

Lovely bathroom with quality fixtures and fittings. Minor concern was slipping on a step leading from bedroom to bathroom when floor was wet after shower. Room nicely fitted out, modern TV, plenty of towels, storage for clothes etc.

Breakfast was excellent. Plenty of choice and piping hot. Liked the fact that they prepare the toast in the room where you eat so its nice and hot when it get to your table rather than luke warm in some hotels.

Staff were all very pleasant and attentive.

Lovely garden area at the back of the hotel where you can sit and relax or read.

Would stay here again.