Elizabeth House Hotel
US$84
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$128
Hotwire.com
US$99
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton Airport Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton City Centre Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfamily run hotelmain roadexcellent full english breakfastchain hotelscity centrethe main hotellarge bathroomfamily roomnice place to stayfree wifisouthampton universityno elevatorleave your carlady on receptionwould definitely stay here againplenty of parkinggood size
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 August 2009

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel at least eight times in as many years, always for one night. and mostly after a direct drive down from Ayrshire. The hotel, which has an adjacent annexe , also an Edwardian building is situated on a main road which leads from the end of the motorway to the centre of Southampton. Not least of its attractions is that if as with many of its customers, one is joining a cruise ship the day after arrival, the car can be left in the car park at the rear of the hotel at the current charge of £3.00 per day. (Try finding any other hotel in or around Southampton to equal this charge nowadays!). We can't vouch for all the bedrooms, obviously, but those that we have been allocated, have been of the size to be expected of a building of this era, with large bathrooms to match. (Those at the front can be a bit noisy, from the occasional ambulance/police car travelling up The Avenue, and the build-up of traffic from about 0700, but this is nothing out of the ordinary in our experience). Initially, after our long drive ,with our arrival about 1900, once settled in our room we walked the 400 odd meters to the "Cowherds Inn", a very popular eating place. varied menu, reasonable prices and speedy service. However, on two recent calls we opted to have our evening meal in the hotel's "Lizzie's Bar", a quiet little snug in the basement. The service here can be a bit protracted if other tables are occupied, but the food is of a very acceptable standard and price. (On this last (business) visit, we chose to have a snack lunch before leaving for the airport, in the little, but pleasant garden adjacent to Lizzie's . The servings were gargantuan and very modestly priced). Breakfasts are also very good and range through fresh (not tinned) grapefruit, cranberry juice, to a very full fry -up , or kippers if you so wish......no porridge though!) . Almost all the bedrooms are on the first floor and there is no lift, but this is no problem even if you have the amount of baggage that we seem to always take! I cannot remember an occasion when either the proprietor (Mr Hockin) [or to my embarrassment] his wife, have jumped in and howked the heaviest of our cases upstairs . For visitors joining a cruise ship with the usual embarkation not starting till about or after 1300, on vacating your room (by unusually in our experience) 1100, baggage can be left in the care of the proprietor. A regular and frequent bus service to the shopping area (West Quay) is close by and this takes no longer than ten minutes though I would say it was at least twenty minutes walk to the Bargate. [It is our pattern to spend the forenoon in the shopping precinct then take a taxi back to the EH hotel, pick up our baggage and use the same taxi to take us down to the ship, now that P&O are serving a buffet lunch onboard from the start of embarkation]

I wouid say that the clientele of th EH hotel is about a 50/50 split between cruising people and commercial/business people with the latter sometimes in parties having seminars in the hotel. "Cowes Week" in August, and particularly , the "Boat Show" week in September are very busy times for accommodation , and one occasion we couldn't book at the EH for a night in September , in the preceding November, which I think, speaks for itself!

Permit me to make the following comments on some fo the preceding views.

1. We have never found the cleanliness in bedrooms/bathrooms and public rooms at fault. If we had, we would not have returned!
2. We regularly have seen the breakfast dining room full about 0830-0900. Service has been entirely satisfactory, with usually one waitress, but augmented by Mrs Hockin or her major domo as necessary
3. Meals/Snacks are not available after 2100. This is not unusual fin our experience for a family-run hotel and to us is perfectly reasonable
If one times one's (5 hour) journey to arrive about this deadline, then there are plenty of
opportunities to obtain a meal en route from the NE , between Banbury and Soton without much of deviation

4. NEVER, have we exp[erienced any smell (reek) of cooking in the parts of the hotel in which we have been (There was one occasion when there was a slight smell of paint in the corridors when decorators were working in some bedrooms)

This a two-star hotel, which in our opinion provides 3-star quality (and is perhaps only 2-star because of the lack of a lift?)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2009

The Elizabeth House is a well run non-chain hotel with efficient, friendly service. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well equiped including flat-screen freeview TVs and wifi. Good value evening meals are served in the small bar/restaurant and the hotel serves a traditional English breakfast. menu (not buffet-style).
The hotel is within walking distance of Southampton town centre and a short drive away from the port and ferry terminals, the hotel also provides adequate free parking.
It is strongly recommended as a good value, good quality medium size hotel for those who don't want to pay the higher prices of chain hotels or don't need their facilities.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I would describe this hotel as 'Ok if you are not too fussy' but I would prefer to spend a little more and have something better. It is a little shabby in appearance, my room had not been thoroughly cleaned and the staff were not terribly firnedly or helpful. I arrived late at night having travelled for 5 hours by train and was too late for supper by 10 minutes, no exception was made and I was advised to go to the pub down the road. I would have thought that in the circumstances, as there were few guests, it would not have been too much trouble to make a sandwich. I made do with a glass of wine and the biscuits in my room as I could not face going off somewhere else.

My room was very hot and the window would not stay open as the mechanism was broken.

The breakfast was very welcome in the morning though and thankfully plentiful and of good quality.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2009

We spent 3 nights at this little hotel. We choose it on the basis of the good reviews here but having stayed there, I have mixed feelings. Both the room and the bathroom were spacious, the water pressure OK, there was enough hot water at any time of the day, still it was not cosy. And it was not the cleanest. And then there was the smell... The whole hotel wrenched of oil baked fish and chips. Luckily, the smell came into the room only in the morning when the staff was preparing the breakfast, but the entrance hall, the breakfast room and the corridoors reeked. There were armchairs in the room but very uncomfortable ones. The beds were average hotel beds, not the most comfortable but OK. And we did miss a fridge.
The breakfast was plentiful but bland. The staff ... we hardly saw them.
The hotel is far from the city center on foot but it has plenty of parking places.
All in all, I would return only if I hadn't found a better option in Southampton.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2009

Both myself and partner enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The room we stayed in was first floor, well decorated, (though lacking in views) and with a very comfortable bed.
The reception staff were plesent, and the waiting staff at breakfast we also very polite.
The food was also to standard, and the puddings were very good!
Overall a good place to stay whilst in Southampton.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple