“Good Base”
Review of The Blue Keys

The Blue Keys
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Very welcoming owners, I was concerned that when I arrived that with the Bar downstairs it would have been noisy later on but I didn’t hear a thing. My room was bright, spacious and very clean, the Bathroom was neat and my bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank tracey B

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I have only just arrived and have never written a review before, but felt compelled to as this place is great. I rang last minute and managed to get the last available room at an excellent rate. The guy is lovely and friendly, and the atmosphere is very welcoming, which is especially nice being a single female traveller. The room is spotless and spacious. I am looking forward to trying the pub grub!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Baldgirly
Reviewed 30 June 2012

The Restaurant that had been recommended to us told us they could not accommodate us (2) because of the International Football. However they did say there was another Hotel about 15 minutes walk from them - that was it. We found the Blue Keys Hotel after quite a walk. My husband is 80 years old and I am 76 years old. The Girl in the Bar was so friendly and helpful giving us a very nice table in a quiet part of the restaurant area. (football still in the area). We had a welcome drink and were offered a small but different menu. My husband was delighted with his Sea Bass whilst I enjoyed the Chicken. The Owner/Manager came to ask us how we liked the meal and as my husband has been a Chef they debated the matter somewhat. The Owner then told us he was renovating this rather old hotel and in a few months time it would be completely different. We wish him well, he deserves success. His staff was outstanding and the speed of the service was excellent. A good evening was achieved.

Room Tip: We did not stay at this hotel, but it will be on our list if ever we need a nice welcome, I am sure...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dOminO1_11
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stayed one night when in emotional difficulty. Landlady very kind. She carried my bag upstairs. I got a good discount as they had no single room but I had a family room. The room and bathroom were spotless and very comfortable. The service was excellent. I would heartily recommend it to any woman traveling alone.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Bonsailady
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We have just orgainised a family party at Blue Keys Hotel and new owners Becky and Elliot were extreamly helpful and accomodating to all our requests.Newly refurbished and gorgeous chandeliers!!
Bedrooms clean and comfy,Breakfast tasty.
Thanks.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank vickchick
Reviewed 25 June 2012

A nice pub/ hotel. Everything you want in one place. A nice bar, good food and decent accommodations. The owners are a lovely couple and make every effort to make your stay enjoyable. I would happily stay again. The hotel is walking distance from the center of town, but it will take you about 20 mins.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2012

This is a pub with accommodation rather than a hotel. It is easy to find from the motorway and in a quiet area. It is an easy area to walk around and I felt happy walking back here at night. The room was light and airy and the heating and heated towel rail were good. The bed was comfortable with fresh linens and towel. Only one towel per person was provided and no bathmat so I was glad I had picked the double for single occupancy. It would have been good to provide hand soap (pump action one would do), as the only provision was a tube of shampoo. There weren't any biscuits on the tea tray either.

Breakfast was nice (note it is not included - £5 full English), but I wasn't sure why all the blinds were closed with lights on to maintain "pub atmosphere" in the dining room in the morning - hard to read in subdued lighting - but maybe they assume everyone is nursing a hangover?

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo