“Friendly with stunning food”
Review of The Blue Keys

The Blue Keys
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 19 October 2012

The accommodation is clean tidy and well worth the price I was charged, but please change the awful white, ex-MOD lampshade on the ceiling. Staff were all helpful, cheerful and good fun. I have stayed twice (3 nights in total) and have decided this is my favorite hotel in Southampton (interms of customer service Jury's and Mecure are well behind)
The food is excellent, great menu for the evening meal and no course has been disappointing, quite the opposite. If I was just visiting Southampton I would call in for dinner.
Any complaints, no. Although I find the breakfast pricing confusing and strange that I cannot have tea and fruit juice without paying extra.
Well done Blue Keys, long may you prosper and develop.

Room Tip: Do not have room 2 on a Wednesday night, the open mic session is a real pain.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed at Blue Keys for one night before cruise. Very quiet street. Room also quiet, clean comfortable. Hotel about 10 minute taxi ride to ship terminals ( cost 6 pounds). The married couple won own and manage the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Food, both for breakfast and dinner, in on site restaurant of very good quality. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed here last Thursday as I had booked tickets at the Mayflower Theatre. Right from the start of my visit I received excellent service. Every single member of staff I met was incredibly helpful, friendly and had an excellent sense of humor. The room was ideal and just what I wanted. I definitely think that the owners could get away with charging slightly more as what they offer is fantastic value for money. The restaurant was lovely and I love the decor. I had dinner and breakfast which was delicious and again, great value for money. I slept the best I have in absolutely ages. Although this hotel is close to the busier area of Southampon, the road outside is very peaceful at night. The single room is a great size and the bathroom is too. All in all, I genuniely cannot think of anything negative about this hotel (not that I would want to). To all the staff working during my visit (Elliot(?) and the two bar staff): thank you for making a relaxing break away so enjoyable. Don't change a thing! I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank SRD1992
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The Blue Keys provides excellent value for money. Its not a 5 star hotel, but it does the basics really well. There is free wifi, the bedrooms are clean, large enough, and with comfortable beds. The bathrooms are clean, with really excellent powerful showers. The staff are always extremely helpful, genuinely friendly and happy to help in any way they can. The food is also really good, and cooked from scratch. The continental breakfast is especially nice. I honestly can't complain about anything here, and for value for money you can't go far wrong with this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank lardosuk
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Hotel very good, clean and only short walk to the city centre, all the staff are very friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable, could have done with a bath instead of a shower but all kept very clean, would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We have no major complaints about our recent four night stay. It would have been nice to have clean towels, especially when the wet ones were left on the floor but they were just picked up and hung on the heated towel rack. Everyone we dealt with was very accommodating. The price was certainly reasonable and if we ever end up back in Southampton, we would certainly consider staying here again.
The reason for my title is that I had looked at MANY reviews from as far back as 2010, I believe, but Becky & Elliott only purchased this establishment the end of May 2012.

Room Tip: Rooms are on the second and third floors, with no elevator. If you have issues with climbing stairs...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank deenjil
Reviewed 25 August 2012

This place is average but that doesn't have to be a negative. It's a pub with rooms over it. Live entertainment/loud music at night and the pub is packed and can be rowdy. The building itself looks good and is clean. Room was fine, shower a little low, good place to rest your head. We used it before we went on a cruise as the hotels down at the actual port are not too safe for parking your car with a lot of vandals in that particular area.
Good value for money.