“excellent food”
Review of Jewels

Jewels
Ranked #47 of 852 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Asian
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Southampton, United Kingdom
“excellent food”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

came across the restaurant completely by accident and what a lovely suprise,Friendly staff and delicious food and vary resonable price,

• Visited March 2012
4 Thank natalie c

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointed after all the 5* reviews”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We went to Jewels with high expectations - all those positive comments making it rated the no.1 restaurant in Southampton.

Although pretty good, for it to be rated Southampton's no.1 restaurant is, quite frankly, completely wrong. It's very average.

4 of us in our group on a quiet Wednesday evening. All of us went for the buffet option which, subsequently, we regretted. When they say "buffet", do not expect to walk along a selection of dishes which you can see and smell - you can't. Their interpretation of "buffet", is to select, unseen, dishes from a menu that are then cooked to order. The advantage of a normal "buffet" is that you can take a small amount of a variety of different dishes. Not so Jewels. The menu reminds you that you can choose more than one dish but, if you over order, you all not be provided with a doggy-bag AND they reserve the right to charge a la carte prices for un-eaten food.

The second problem with their buffet is you can only select your starters when you first order, not your main dishes. Although cooked fresh, the starters take at least 20 minutes to arrive. Then allow another 20 minutes to eat and for the waiter to return to take your main course order. It took a total of 100 minutes from entering the restaurant to having our main course, I dread to think how long it would be on a busy night Which defeats another key reason for a traditional buffet, and that is the convenience of speed.

The chicken tikka's on the starter were the worst I have eaten in over 20 years of eating at Indian restaurants. They were tiny pieces of chicken and I suspect have never seen a tandoor oven - they were just like wet boiled chicken bites - very odd. Not like traditional chicken tikka at all.

Yes, the food was generally OK, but, the best in Southampton? I think not not by a long way. I suggest the reviewers have obviously never eaten at Kuti's in Wickham or Ennio's.

We were so looking forward to our meal at Jewel's that the disappointment was made even worse given its alleged no.1 status. Yes the decor is spotless and clean, yes there is a nice ambience, yes the staff were very polite and attentive, but the lighting was quite dark which meant reading the menu was a bit difficult and the music was just a few decibels too loud to have a decent relaxed conversation. 4 x buffet and a few drinks (mainly non-alcoholic) cost £90 which is not really good VFM, especially given it's location - their overheads must be half those in a city centre location.

If we ever go back, I will definitely try the a la carte menu, and steer well clear of the buffet.

• Visited April 2012
4 Thank Portmeirionman
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Ok, nothing special - poor service”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We went for a family birthday.

Don't get me wrong - it was fine - a typical Indian restuarant with a few odd extras on the menu which really didn't take my fancy - an Indian Beef Bourginion?

Considering it really wasn't busy for a Sat night, the service really wasn't timely and when I asked a waitress to take the mounting empty glasses and bottles from the table, I got a huff and an eye roll. The fact that they should have been picked up anyway was obviously beside the point. I'm not a moany sort of person and don't expect perfection, but I expect basic service and certainly not to be treated badly. I'm really not the sort of person to make a fuss over service, so please believe me when I say it really put me off going again. You have to have respect for the people paying your wages, and I really got the opposite at this place.

Food was fine, not great.

Really can't understand why it has the reputation it has.

Visited January 2012
3 Thank rachysetty
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“An anniversary treat.”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

A lovely relaxing meal, delicious food, fantastic attentive service. Out of all the places we could've chosen for an anniversary meal, it had to be Jewels.Always a very friendly welcome. No matter how busy they are you never feel rushed. I have never left there disappointed. Takeaways are just as good too.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Michelle V
“Another lovely meal”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

After the last time's meal I thought I should go back to jewels for a take away. To be honest after eating in last time I wanted to try the quality of the take away and I m really pleased this time again it's really the best restaurant in Hampshire I will come back again