“Tasty Food, Excellent service and Good Value!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jewels

Jewels
Ranked #48 of 840 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Tasty Food, Excellent service and Good Value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Jewels is our favourite Indian restaurant. The quality and choice of dishes is outstanding. Everything is freshly cooked to order and the waiters are more than happy to recommend and advise if you're not sure what to order. There is a set buffet menu or a full menu for you to make your selection from. Service is excellent and courses are never rushed. The restaurant is clean and has a really nice ambiance.
Best Indian in Town ;)

• Visited July 2014
Jewel J, Owner at Jewels, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your effort in leaving a review for our restaurant again. It is pleasing to see that you are still satisfied with our food, service and cleanliness. We really appreciate it and hope to see you again soon!

Southampton - UK
“There are better out there”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

The buffer is good value for money, the starter platter in particular is excellent. The main dishes whilst varied all look the same. This has been a complain of mine about Jewels for years all the food is none descriptor which is great shame as everything else about the place is very good indeed

Visited August 2014
1 Thank MaggerZ
Jewel J, Owner at Jewels, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Hello there - Thank you for your recent review of our restaurant which I'd describe as generally positive. We appreciate you taking the time and effort to do this. I am glad that you mentioned that the dishes were varied (in taste) however feel I have to address your comment that they all look the same.
There is a reason that several dishes appear similar in colour (by no means everything!) - This is because some 8-10 years ago the Government (Food Standards Agency) banned the use of ALL artificial colourings in Asian cuisine due to potential health concerns - hence no more bright red chicken tikka masala etc.
Whilst we complied with this legislation from the very start unfortunately many other restaurants did not or indeed do even now - Until this law is enforced properly I fear they will continue to do so. I could quite easily make the colours more varied of some dishes however I would be breaking the law and potentially putting my customers health at risk - Other establishments may be prepared to do that - I on the other hand am not and hope you now understand the situation a little better.
Kind regards.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I visited Jewels with my family for a birthday celebration and I was very impressed. We went for the buffet menu which provided good choice and variety of food. The staff were very helpful and attentive. Price wise it was very reasonable for what you got.

We visited Sunday early afternoon and there weren't many other diners which is nice but there was a lack of atmosphere. I know week-nights are much busier so probably more of an atmosphere if that is what you want.

Food wise I must say for me personally it wasn't as spicy as I would have liked but a few in the party were not used to very spicy food and it kept them very happy. I don't know if you can ask for extra spice but I might next time I visit. The food was also not greasy like you sometimes find. The meat was tender and the vegetables were fresh.

I would recommend Jewels to anybody looking for a tasty curry experience at a very reasonable cost.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ian T
Jewel J, Owner at Jewels, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Hello and thank you for leaving a review of your recent visit. We use all information submitted in reviews (both good and bad) to communicate customers comments to our staff with a view to further improvement wherever justified and possible. We are glad that you had a positive visit and look forward to seeing you again soon - Thank you .
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Rushed, watery food and noisy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We visited here on a Saturday night and expected it to be busy. Phone call to reserve table was pleasant. When we arrived it went gradually downhill from there on. It was so noisy we couldn't hear each other across the table. The restaurant is very clinical in its appearance, trying to be trendy but it doesn't feel comfortable, it reminded us of an airport waiting area. We were put on a table by the entrance to the main restaurant and suffered with people rushing past for the entire time we were there, not a relaxing experience. I realise they were busy and we asked to move tables but they couldn't/wouldn't move us. We'd only just sat down when they asked for our drinks order and delivered poppadoms. After that we waited over an hour for our mains. When the food arrived it was mushy, watery and uninspiring which was a shame as we had high expectations for this restaurant being great curry fans! I had mango chicken which I can only describe as half a dozen strips of chicken in what appeared to be sweet tomato type soup with the same consistency. Nothing else in it. All our meals were the same type of consistency even though we ordered several different things. The air con was up so high that we sat with our coats on for the entire time. We felt like an after thought by the staff who were far too busy. The whole experience was hindered by one table who were so noisy and so loud I am sure they could have been heard in Glasgow! I realise this isn't the restaurants fault but they could have asked them to tone it down a bit. The bar area was busy and a lot of people waiting around for orders just stood staring at our table. We took our daughter here as a treat. Never again. If you want to go to a place for over priced mush with a load of pikeys then this is the place. If you want decent traditional Indian cuisine then there are some much nicer places with better service and food! Such a shame. Maybe we got a bad night but would rather save my hard earned cash for better service, food and atmosphere,

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Jewel J, Owner at Jewels, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
After reading your review I nearly decided it didn't warrant a reply - however you raise some concerns that I feel are worthy of a response (most of them are not). Firstly if you found the restaurant too cold the air conditioning could have been adjusted - All you needed to do was use your mouth to communicate this - we cannot resolve things if people don't communicate!
Secondly the menu description for the dish that you ordered is: ' Chicken or lamb cooked with mango purée in a very slightly spicy sauce. Medium.' I really don't know what else you expected in it? We have many other dishes with various vegetables and accompanying ingredients in them - This isn't one of them - AS STATED IN THE MENU YOU ORDERED FROM!
Lastly I think your comment referring to our other customers as 'pikeys' needs no further comment and anyone reading your 'review' with even limited intelligence will be be able to tell exactly what kind of person you are!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Indian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Atmosphere is good, place is always clean tidy very welcoming. Staff always friendly never rush you. food is always lovely freshly cooked.

Visited August 2014
Jewel J, Owner at Jewels, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review regarding our restaurant. We appreciate the time and effort customers take to do this, and are pleased that you were happy with your visit to our establishment.