“Good Location for Cruise Ships”

Holiday Inn Southampton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
England
“Good Location for Cruise Ships”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Stayed here a few weeks ago the night before we boarded the Queen Mary 2. Hotel Location is great. The pool although it is indoors is in another building at the front of the hotel and you have to go outside to get to it. Not great this time of year as it was cold passing from one building to another.
The Hotel reception area looked clean and tidy and you could see it had been refurbished. The bedrooms however looked very old and tired with very old bathrooms. These definately need work doing to them.
We were unable to have dinner as the restuarant was full of coach parties having dinner. Room Service was delivered quickly and food was good but only luke warm.
Overall this is a great property if your boarding a ship the next day.

1 Thank poppiesbrother
ALGMSouthampton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us before your cruise. As you quite rightly say, our location for pre cruise stays is very good, only a couple of minutes from all the city cruise terminals. The lounge & public areas have been refurbished & I have noted your comments about the bedrooms & bathrooms. I am sorry that you were unable to dine with us due to the numbers in the Resaturant, this should not have been that case. I will investigate & check out why this happened.
I hope we can lok after you again prior to your next cruise
Regards
Alastair

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Polish first
Tavistock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Room tired and not clean, dust on ledges adjacent to bed, and bathroom light switch not working. Not impressed with breakfast area, floor grubby, food stains on lower parts of tables and chairs, croissants not cooked, when I mentioned this there was no apology. Very poor value and will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank phil01822
ALGMSouthampton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry that your experience was not good. I have taken up your comments with the team at the hotel & everything will be addressed. I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Thank you again for your comments

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

Weekend stay, the best thing about the room we had was the new flat screen tv and the complimentary biscuits!
The furniture was worn out and as is the furniture in the bar area, the bathroom was dated and in need of a refurb
We used the swiming pool but only once as the whole area was worn out and dirty.

2 Thank EssexMark1960
ALGMSouthampton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
The General Manager has responded directly to the guest & hope that we can welcome them back to the hotel in the future. Alastair
GLOUCESTERSHIRE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We booked a weekend stay at this hotel with superbreak, bed and breakfast for 2 nights with dinner included on 1st night cost £180.00. The hotel was very clean and room also and good views from our room on the 3rd floor. We went in the restaurant for dinner and gave our room number to the person who showed us to our table, and told her we had the dinner and breakfast deal. We didn't order a starter, but a main and dessert each for my wife and i, which we must say was very nice. we finished with a coffee each which we were going to drink in the bar area. As we were walking through we were asked if we wanted to charge the bill to our room, again explaining we had the dinner and breakfast meal deal the waitress got somebody else to sort it for us, which he did but said we would have to pay for the 2 coffees, i said we were going to have a drink in the bar so he transferred the bill to the bar for the coffees. In the bar i ordered a brandy and dash of lemonade and a pint of boddingtons beer together with the 2 coffees and service charge the bill amounted to £16.02 which i think rather excessive. We enjoyed our stay until we checked out then told we had to pay £14.00 for 2 nights parking, which we reluctantly paid. We said we weren't aware there was a charge for parking having not seen any signs in the car park or building anywhere. We have stayed at travel inn in southampton new dials in the past and never been charged for parking. We told the receptionist we would not be staying at holiday inn in the future and left with a sour taste in our mouths.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a report on your stay with us at the |Holiday Inn Southampton. I was pleased to read that you found the room to be clean & comfortable & the views from our bedrooms are stunning. Your kind comments on the food are appreciated & sorry about the confusion over the dinner charge, I am glad that it was sorted out. I have taken on board your comments regarding the parking charge. Regards
Alastair
Northumberland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here on a Saturday night. When we checked in we were given a room on the 7th floor as I had asked for a quiet room. We got up to the room only to find out the card key didn’t work. I went back down and found out that the room was under maintenance so they changed us to the 5th floor. The room they gave us was tidy and a good size. The large TV was a nice surprise.

We went down and had a meal in the restaurant and I have to say that was one of the best meals I’ve had and the prices were reasonable. My husband had the Brit Burger Bacon Melt and I had the Sizzling Beef Fajita. Both were served quickly and were hot and tasted great. We finished off with Rocky Road sundae to share. With drinks our total was £46.31.
The room was quiet as requested. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were a bit flat. I ordered a Harry Potter video (£7.50 – a tad pricey) but the digital signal kept cutting out and the movie would lag in places. It only did that here and there so I didn’t complain. I liked that I could view the bill on the TV. The view out of our window overlooked the harbour which was nice since we got to see the ships come in. The breakfast was really good.

If there is one drawback to staying at this Holiday Inn it would have to be parking charges which we were not made aware of. I thought £7.00 for parking was outrageous because I am already paying to stay at the hotel and now I have to pay for the privilege of keeping my car there overnight? Not impressed.

Overall, I do recommend the restaurant and the room was as expected but the high parking charges I just don’t agree with. Our total bill came to £199.81 for a one night stay Bed & breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbour so you can watch the ships come in!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the comments on your recent stay with us. I have taken on board the details & will address with the appropriate team members. Your very kind comments regarding the food quality are appreciated & I will also pass this on to the F&B team. Regards Alastair
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

My wife and I stayed her on Thursday 13th October, the night before our brief cruise on the Queen Mary 2, with our mums ! This wouldn't normally be our hotel of choice at Southampton, this is the De Vere Grand Harbour, but our mums thought it a bit expensive, as they do, so we deceided to stay here at The Holiday Inn, which we wern't really looking forward too and the hotel dosen't look much from the outside, however it was a pretty Pleasant Surprise. We found the room to be as we expected, basic, particularly the bathroom, but nevertheless clean and acceptable. However no matter what side of the hotel you are in, the hotel does give an excellent view of the cruise and ferry port from your room and the Mayflower park, just 50 metres away from the hotel entrance and is a pleasant walk. Finally we deceided to eat casually in the hotel and the bar area was very nice, the service and food also being good. So although this would still not be our first choice of hotel at Southampton, wouldn't be such a disaster if we needed too or had to stay other than our first choice. Nice Hotel, probably a bit more than a 3 star, without quite being good enough for a 4 star.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
ALGMSouthampton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to report on your pre-cruise stay at the hotel. Your kind words regarding the room & the food are appreciated, we do take feedback from our guests very seriously & continually strive to make our guest experience positive. The hotel is indeed well positioned for all the City Cruise departure gate & the views are spectacular. I do hope that you will return to the hotel for a weekend break or a future cruise.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel while I was on a business trip. I loved everything about it, great service, good food, very comfortable bed and relaxing room. It was clean and nice and I really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Your very kind comments regarding your stay at the hotel are appreciated, I will take pleasure in sharing this with the hotel team. I hope you will return again soon on business or pleasure