Holiday Inn Southampton
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$128
Travelocity
US$99
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton Airport Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton City Centre Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$56
Travelodge
1,292 results
All reviewscruise terminalfloor to ceiling windowsseparate buildingpre cruise stayexecutive roommayflower parkreception staffbit datedstayed here for one nightisle of wightfollowing morningbuffet styleself servicetown centregood nights sleepbreakfast was excellentcar parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The Holiday Inn is located right on the waterfront next to the docks. It's an easy 5 minute walk to West Quay shopping Centre with a good choice of restaurants and bars.

This was a 1 night stay checking in on a Saturday Night.

Check In

First impressions were very good, the reception area is warm and welcoming. The lady at check-in was very pleasant and accessed my booking very quickly. I was provided with my room number and keys for room 414. An executive double. In addition, the lady offered a wake up call and asked if I'd like to make reservations for dinner.

Room

First impressions were excellent, the room had a view overlooking the DeVere Hotel, but looking to the right allowed for views of the docks and waterfront. The room was clean and tidy. A large 32" TV, tea and coffee facilities with water and kitkat were provided. The bathroom offered a selection of free products (shampoo etc.) for use in the shower. Large bath tub with shower over. The only negative comment relating to the room was the temperature. It was possible to open the window but this allowed little relief from the heat, it was an uncomfortable night as a result. The a/c and heating system allowed the temperature to be lowered to 16 degrees but as the settings were on heat, it didn't cool (it was january!).

Facilities

A fitness centre is located across the road, swimming pool and gym are included for free. I felt the opening hours were very reasonable, 7am to 10pm I believe, even on the weekends! Pool is of reasonable size and gym offered a variety of equipment. The hotel bar offered a selection of drinks. We didn't eat at the hotel so cannot comment. Ample parking is provided for £7 per 24 hour period.

Staff

Probably the highlight of the hotel. Every member of staff we came in contact with, reception, maid service, bar staff and pool attendant were all fantastic. Everyone is clearly making an effort to provide an excellent service, highly impressed by this as Customer Service is a major factor when deciding to revisit a hotel.

Overall

A good hotel offering in a good location. A very enjoyable stay and highly recommended!

Positives:

- Location, next to the waterfront and close to the city centre!
- Staff - going above and beyond for the customer, very positive in my opinion.
- Value for money, reasonably priced offering.

Negatives:

- Wifi - £16 per day is extortionate. A better solution must be provided in 2012. This is a massive turn off and if McDonalds can offer free wifi on the basis or purchasing a £5 burger, Holiday Inn should offer to their guests.

- Parking - £7 a little steep for paying hotel guests.

- Room temperature. It would be great if truly functional climate control was available year round.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LukeRichM5
ALGMSouthampton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. Your comments are very informative & will be of great value to future Trip Advisor readers.
I am particularly pleased with the positive attitude of the team who have gone above & beyond the call of duty to make you comfortable, I will pass this on to them
I have noted the WiFi & parking comments which I wil address & the heat in your room is difficult at this time of year when the temperature swings up & down all the time.
I sincerely hope that we will welcome you back again soon
Regards, Alastair

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Anyone doing their homework regarding this well placed hotel would realise that it's location to the docks is one of it's main selling points. Although we were not sailing anywhere we could see how it would fit in with a cruise journey. We received an extremely warm and friendly greeting at reception, check-in was swift and efficient and all extra questions regarding the area were answered efficiently. The room, on the 8th floor overlooking the water had a lovely large picture window, a wonderfully comfortable bed. Nice large tv and was extremely clean and comfortable. I will agree with some reviews and say that it may have needed a small touch of updating in the bathroom but that would be being extremely picky. Both evening and early morning we saw the tugs pulling container ships past the window, great for us because we really wanted to be close to the water.Another cheery welcome when we made our way to reception to check out, lovely staff. I would personally suggest that this is an ideal short stay, convenient hotel with all the amenities you would expect from a city centre hotel. I do have to add that we had an exceptional deal on this stay being Boxing Day and a notoriously quiet time for the hotel industry.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
ALGMSouthampton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to put your very kind comments on Trip Advisor. I must agree, the location of thehotel with the dock activity is fascinating & always things happening.
I have passed your comments about the warm & friendly greeting, cleanliness & cheery staff on to everyone.
I hope we can welcome you back again soon
Alastair - General Manager

Reviewed 1 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel before joining the Cunard Victoria for a cruise. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was substantial and served with a smile, even though they were very busy. The overnight price included parking and a taxi to the ship, so a very good way of parking and avoiding the cost of valet parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbour
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for returning to the hotel before your cruise on Queen Victoria.
The hotel is very popular for pre-cruse stays & as you say, the package you stayed on included your parking & taxi to the ship which is both cost effective & relatively stress free being so close to the departure areas.
I have passed on your kind comments about the cleanliness, breakfast & the team to all concerned, it is appreciated.
Hope to welcome you back again in the future

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I feel awful writing this.... however the service at this hotel is shockingly bad! I paid for my parents to stay with me for a very special event we had in the area, I've stayed in a few Holiday Inns and I know what to expect. However at this hotel it is something else! The food took ages to arrive, at least a 40 min wait for the mains and we was the only people dining in the restaurant that night. The wait was NOT worth it! My dad actually said it was the worst steak he has had in his life. There was at least 4 young staff members’ just standing meters from our table having a convocation. I was extremely embarrassed at sending my parents there.

The rooms look dated however the beds as in most Holiday Inns are very comfy. Hotel was spotlessly clean and reception staff was very friendly. Great location too.

I’d recommend the Hilton Southampton! Previous year I stayed here with my parents and had a fantastic meal with professional service in a nice surrounding (the restaurant at the Holiday Inn looks like a café with nice napkins on the table) Hilton is much better and is not over priced at all (apart from the drinks…. But that’s the same in most hotels).

Room Tip: Go to the Hilton...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Stacey T

I am very sorry to learn that your parents stay wth us was not up to our usual high standard. I can assure you that we do take all comments very seriously & I have addressed the situation with the senior restaurant team & chef to make sure that this does not happen again.
Your kind comments regarding the hotel cleanliness & the friendliness of the reception team are appreciated & I have shared your comments with the team.
We would like the opportunity to look after you again in the future, if you would make contact directly with me, I will make sure you are looked after.

Reviewed 19 December 2011

Next to the docks and not very close to the town. Plenty of other hotels around. the room was clean and as expected. I was put into room 11 on the 6th floor which was next to the lift. When i asked to be moved they could only offer me room 10 on the same floor, which was the other side of the lift. they said that the hotel was full but at breakfast it didn't look like it. To get internet access they charged either £10 for 5 hours or £16 for 24 hours. I pay less than this for a months access at home and the speed was not exactly fast. Breakfast was OK with nothing out of the ordinary. The Grand Habour Hotel across the road offered room (B&B) for the same price and looked better.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 10 and 11 on each floor as they are next to the lift.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Nik2212

Thank you for taking the time to put a report regarding your stay on Trip Advisor. I am really sorry to read that you were disturbed by the noise. On the night in question, we were very busy & unable to move you to a quieter room. I sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again & would request that you make contact with me personally & I will make sure you are looked after.
Kind regards