“Happy holiday at Holiday Inn!”

Holiday Inn Southampton
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Isle of Wight, UK
“Happy holiday at Holiday Inn!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012 via mobile

My partner and I have just spent two nights at this Holiday Inn. We stayed in an Executive Room on the 8th floor with a fabulous view over the water. Floor to ceiling windows made the most of the view, in fact we didn't even close the curtains to enjoy every moment!

Check in was super quick considering the hotel was very busy with cruise ship passengers arriving and departing! There was no issue with us storing our bags when we early for check in.

The room was very comfortable and well equipped. The bathroom was dated but with a fabulous power shower. It was all very clean and it was brilliant having proper sized towels.

The bar area is pleasant, drinks were not too overpriced. We didn't eat at the hotel because there are so many fabulous restaurants in Southampton.

Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed June 2012
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your review following your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the views from your room. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip!
Joost van Spengler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Polish first
Attard, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed there for only one night but its in a great location. Ate dinner there, food was good, breakfeast good too. Overall enjoyed the stay. Would recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Solihull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location, situated right on West Quay opposite the Grand Harbour hotel, the headquaters of Carnival Cruise lines and the large city centre shopping mall. The rooms are very tired, the lifts are extremly noisey and overall its just an old hotel that needs knocking down and re building!! The staff are all very pleasant and helpful, but they must get fed up of having to make excuses for the state of the hotel and its rooms! My best tip,if your budget can afford it stay at the five star Grand Harbour hotel opposite.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the lifts as possible!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kebuts
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Dear PAButo,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Ashford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Booked online for a 2 nights for 1 deal. They should have debited my card £175 but I discovered a few days later they had taken £200. I rang the HI customer service department, who told me to ring the hotel direct because they had changed the booking! I checked my confirmation email to double check the total amount that should have been debited and followed the 'manage your reservation' link provided. This informed me that my room was only £100 a night rather than the £150 advertised online. Hence my 2 for 1 deal wasn't really the bargain it was pretending to be. I rang the hotel and the receptionist confirmed that the room reservation was indeed a £100 a night room but she could do nothing about the overcharge to my account until Monday. Subsequently on the Monday we received a phone call that stated the cost of the room was £175 but an error had occurred, which had resulted in them withdrawing more funds than had been agreed. Not really apologetic and no real explanation offered so we cancelled the entire reservation. I wrote an email of complaint to the manager and his reply was to simply to blame an error in the booking process for both the removal of unagreed funds from my account and the mismatch of pricings! He also stated that they had no obligation to refund the entire booking and had only done so as a gesture of goodwill!! Very untrustworthy!

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cassiemax
ALGMSouthampton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding the mix up with your booking charges.
As I put in my letter to you, on some specific hotel bookings which come via out central reservations system, we have to do a manual adjustment for internal accounting purposes. Sadly on this occasion, it was not administered correctly resulting in an overcharge which we refunded to you as soon as we possible could along with a full refund of the booking charges
I sincerely apologise for this, I can assure you that we have re-visited our procedures to make sure this does not inconvenience any future guests.
Regards
General manager
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed the bank holiday weekend there and i would admit that qit was one of the nicest bed that i have slept on in a hotel. Overall great experience.

• Stayed April 2012
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed for 4 nights on business in Southampton and during my stay there were a couple of problems with housekeeping but I must extend my thanks to duty manager Rachel for all her help and understanding. I found the customer service excellent and the food very good. The views from both front and back of the hotel are great, looking over Southampton water and watching the ships going in and out.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better the view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay with us. I have passed on your kind comments to Rachel & the operational team regarding food & service we provided you with. It is good that the issues you encountered were rectified efficiently
Many thanks
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I wanted a cheap weekend getaway to see a show...This is FAR from what I got.
I had the hotel booked for over 2 weeks and was very excited but on arrival I was informed about a 50 security deposit that would NOT be removed from my account unless I was to use it or cause any damage. After asking again if the money would NOT be removed from my account the staff confirmed it would NOT. I walked into town and upon checking my balance, They had in fact taken the money out of my account leaving my spending money budget to a minimum. I immediately returned to the hotel to talk to the staff. They simply told me that there was nothing I could do, They were very unhelpful and rude. We had just £10 between two of us. Because of this we went to the show hungry and disheartened, Only being able to have tap water throughout. They not only ruined our stay there but our entire weekend. I have been through my entire confirmation email and the website and cannot find anything pre warning you of this fee. The rooms are dated and loud, The staff do not care unless you are putting money over the counter. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER be using the holiday inn again. I work for a global company that travel extremely often and I will make sure they will no longer use these services. TOTAL RIP OFF.

Room Tip: Yes...Stay at a room in a completely different hotel. Ibis is cheaper, Closer to town and nicer say...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GeorgiaMunroe
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am very sorry about the situation you encountered with the £50 security deposit which was taken on arrival. This is a company policy & the money is not removed from your account, it is earmarked but it is most unfortunate that it did not allow you to have funds to spend when you were out at the theatre.
I can assure you that myself & the team do care very much about looking after all of our customers & again offer my sincere apologies.
Regards