“Horrible stay, never come back again to stay!!!”

Holiday Inn Southampton
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stayed for overnight on Saturday, Check-in was OK, nothing special, recognised as PC Platinum member, but haven't received any discounted parking or internet.
Then was refused from restaurant as staff said restaurant is closed if I am not in them VIP group guest list ???!!! Have to go somewhere to have dinner.
Room wasn't uprated to Executive as requested as no mini bar was in the room.
late eve, try to get some drink from the bar, bar staff was very RUDE, unwelcome.
at the check-out couldn't use my Platinum privilege for instant check-out as Reception ask me to bring my CC from my car, so have to go and get it.
Also was unhelpful with information about ferries she didn't know anything about it.
Never going to stay again...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grigorijus
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Dear Guest
Please accept my most sincere apologies for the lapse in service you received during your stay at the Hotel. We typically pride ourselves for the high level of service we offer all our guests. However I realise from your feedback we clearly failed to deliver on this. Please rest assured that your comments will be looked into fully and that we will be undertaking the necessary action to avoid recurrence of a similar nature. Once again my most sincere apology for the disappointing experience you had at the Hotel. In the event you do change your mind about not going to stay here again I would be delighted to hear from you directly so I can take care of your reservation personally when you can be assured of our very best attention.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Southampton

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Excellent location right next to cruise terminal with views down the Solent so you can watch the ships coming into Southampton water without leaving your room.
Clean comfortable quiet rooms with still and sparkling water provided free every day.
Good choice of English and continental breakfast and evening meals.
Staff very helpful and friendly.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone going on a cruise ship or just having a few days in Southampton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Southampton water
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janiceallan59
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear Ms Allen
I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Most of our rooms provide a spectacular view across the Solent and I am pleased you enjoyed this. Our location is indeed next to the main Cruise Ship Terminals and, just in the event you weren’t aware of this, we offer some great Park Stay and Go packages which can be booked directly with the Hotel or On-Line at www.holidayinn.com. Recently we launched our new ‘Best of British’ Menu and it is great to read you had an opportunity to try this out. Hopefully you will have an opportunity to book another cruise at some stage in the future when we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Southampton.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed here for a night recently. I found the hotel to be a nice run of the mill hotel, although was quite disappointed when I was told at reception that none of the rooms had a sea view.

The room was pleasant although it was in need of a few touch ups like a new hook on the back of the bathroom door instead of gaping big screw holes, a working heated towel rail, a shower head that didn't fall apart when the shower is switched on and also a rubber bath mat to stop you slipping in and out the bath when going for a shower.

I booked an executive room and would have liked a bit more room for my money but nevertheless, the service was very good in the hotel so a big thanks to all the staff but a bit more attention to detail please.

One of the things I would like to highlight is that when I ordered poached eggs for breakfast, I received them in good time but then the woman who brought them out to me said the following, "... here are your poached eggs, I don't know who the chef is or how good he is so good luck with them..." This isn't the kind of thing a paying guest wants to hear before breakfast as part of an "award winning breakfast".

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the service we provided. More then half of our rooms have a sea view and I am obviously disappointed these were already occupied by other guests prior to your arrival. We typically pride ourselves for the high standards of service and comfort we offer to our guests and I am sorry to read that we may have fallen short on this occasion in some areas. I have discussed your feedback with the members of my Management Team and can assure you your comments will be followed up on.
Regards

Reviewed 9 June 2012

I cannot fault this Hotel, very friendly and fast check in. Breakfast staff jolly and very awake! The food was all very good and the new menu has plenty of choice. The best bit is KIDS EAT FREE very helpful during the holidays. Excellent views from the rooms which keep the kids entertained. Close to the new forest and many attractions. Defiantly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor fantastic view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay during Half Term Week. I am of course delighted that you enjoyed the service and hospitality extended by my Team. We indeed recently introduced our new ‘Best of British’ Menu and I very much appreciate your very positive endorsement!

Reviewed 7 June 2012

As the hotel we normally stay at in Southampton was full we called here on the off chance a room was available as it is close to the shopping centres which we wanted to visit prior to returning to Poole to catch our ferry home the next day.
We had seen this hotel many times in passing and as it was getting late thought we would give it a try despite the fact it looks rather old fashioned and a bit run down.
Well really glad we did. Had no problems getting a double room - in fact the room that is shown above with a fantastic view over the cruise ships at dock.
The room was very comfortable and more than adequate - the bed being particularly comfy.
The special part was the food. I have stayed in quite a few Holidays Inns in the past all over the place and have always found the food very good. Here was no exception with the sort of food one would normally expect in a top restaurant. This along with the very attentive waiting staff made for a very pleasant evening.
Definitely stay here again on the way home to the Channel Islands and can highly reccommend it

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
I am very pleased you called in on the off chance and decided to check-in with us during your recent visit to the mainland. Our aim is to ensure all our guests enjoy a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and I am delighted you had an opportunity to experience this. I am equally delighted you choose to dine with us. We recently launched our new ‘Best of British’ menu and it is great to read you enjoyed the food and indeed the service. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 5 June 2012 via mobile

My partner and I have just spent two nights at this Holiday Inn. We stayed in an Executive Room on the 8th floor with a fabulous view over the water. Floor to ceiling windows made the most of the view, in fact we didn't even close the curtains to enjoy every moment!

Check in was super quick considering the hotel was very busy with cruise ship passengers arriving and departing! There was no issue with us storing our bags when we early for check in.

The room was very comfortable and well equipped. The bathroom was dated but with a fabulous power shower. It was all very clean and it was brilliant having proper sized towels.

The bar area is pleasant, drinks were not too overpriced. We didn't eat at the hotel because there are so many fabulous restaurants in Southampton.

Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: June 2012

Dear Guest, thank you very much for your review following your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the views from your room. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip!

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed there for only one night but its in a great location. Ate dinner there, food was good, breakfeast good too. Overall enjoyed the stay. Would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family