“Happy with stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Essex
“Happy with stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

I was greeted well with very helpful receptionist, & was pleased with Platinum upgrade. My room had a nice view of the Solent & a good range of TV channels including HD.
A slight concern about the bath cleanliness with a used bath flannel left on the side...
Room service was pretty good with generous portions, although I would have liked more variation on my cheeseboard.
I slept well as the bed was comfortable.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Southampton. I am very pleased to read we were able to upgrade you to an Executive Room and that you had a great night’s sleep. I am also delighted to read you received a warm welcome upon arrival. Your comment in regards to a used bath flannel left in the room is obviously of concern and I will address this with my Housekeeping Manager. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon!
Joost van Spengler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Polish first
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stay here every time we cruise and find it comfortable, clean and friendly staff that have become somewhat like family to us after all these trips. Great to see the same faces each visit. Kudos to Michelle and Sammi on front desk. Smooth and efficient check-in and check-out. Location is excellent for shopping, restaurants etc. High Street is historic and busy and an easy walk. The hotel has been there for a while and while somewhat dated, all the essentials are there for a nice, comfortable stay. Try the breakfast. One of the best we found in over two months on this European trip.Our compliments to management for retaining such a diligent staff.

Buckinghamshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayed for two nights at this hotel. On arrival Michelle in reception was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in room 615, which is a smoking room (hard to come by) but for us it was lovely, so if your not a smoker don't take a room near this one, as you can definately smell the smoke. The room was bsic but very clean and quite spacious. It had great views over the quay and it was nice to see the cruise ships coming and going.We ate in the hotel friday night, as this was part of our package, we weren't expecting it to be anything special but the food was superb. All the staff were smiling and happy even though they were extremely busy with most of the guests taking a cruise ship the next day. There was one member of staff Warren, who worked incredible hard, but was never too busy to assist a customer - so refreshing, to meet staff with such a good customer service attitude.
Breakfast was not a let down either, a wide selection with cereals, cold meats, dansih pastries and full english all self service.
The pool was a short walk across the car park, wasn't very big or deep, but great for a quick swim, with a hot tub in the corner, also a sauna in the changing rooms. A towel is given to you when you sign in.
Due to the good location, we took the short walk to the shopping centre, and it was only £4.50 by taxi to Oxford Street to visit some bars.
Very impressed with the hotel, staff and food tht we would stay again.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are available in this hotel - just ask.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Denise S
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Hotel. I am very grateful for your nice comments and I am delighted you thought the quality of food on our new Best of British Menu and the Breakfast Buffet were exceeding your expectation. I would like to thank you for recognising two members of my Team who clearly lived up to the level of service we aim to delight all our guests with. We hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel again at some stage in the future.
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

The hotel itself is a fairly standard Holiday Inn. The rooms are nothing special but decent enough, I was upgraded to an Exec room due to Platinum status, and the room was the same as my friends except you get a chocolate bar and some nicer toiletries.
The reception and bar area was fairly typical for a Holiday Inn, and the breakfast was decent enough for £10 (if you're feeling hungry). There is also a good sized pool, sauna and gym in an annex building in the car park.
However the best quality of this hotel were the reception staff, they were really helpful and friendly throughout the stay. I was staying with a group, and a few people moved rooms during the stay (from double to twin, and also one due to non-functioning air conditioning), and the staff were happy to help and fixed the billing with no problems.

The location is also really good, especially for cruise ships or the ferry, but also it is easy walking distance to the town centre / west quay / leisureworld etc..

It would be nice if the hotel offered a couple of other benefits to platinum elite guests, such as a discount in the bar or discounted parking.

Room Tip: Make sure the air conditioning is working
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay. I am very pleased to read that my Reception Team provided you with the level of service that we are so proud of and that the Team was of great assistance to not only yourself but also the other members in your party. Our location is indeed excellent for visiting the city or in relation to the Cruise Terminals. Because of our location to the docks we do offer some very attractive Park Stay & Go packages which can be booked directly with the Hotel. Your feedback and comments in terms of the benefits we offer to our valued Priority Club Guests are also much appreciated. I like to assure you that I will be taken these into consideration when reviewing our existing arrangements.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with us.
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stayed for overnight on Saturday, Check-in was OK, nothing special, recognised as PC Platinum member, but haven't received any discounted parking or internet.
Then was refused from restaurant as staff said restaurant is closed if I am not in them VIP group guest list ???!!! Have to go somewhere to have dinner.
Room wasn't uprated to Executive as requested as no mini bar was in the room.
late eve, try to get some drink from the bar, bar staff was very RUDE, unwelcome.
at the check-out couldn't use my Platinum privilege for instant check-out as Reception ask me to bring my CC from my car, so have to go and get it.
Also was unhelpful with information about ferries she didn't know anything about it.
Never going to stay again...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Grigorijus
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear Guest
Please accept my most sincere apologies for the lapse in service you received during your stay at the Hotel. We typically pride ourselves for the high level of service we offer all our guests. However I realise from your feedback we clearly failed to deliver on this. Please rest assured that your comments will be looked into fully and that we will be undertaking the necessary action to avoid recurrence of a similar nature. Once again my most sincere apology for the disappointing experience you had at the Hotel. In the event you do change your mind about not going to stay here again I would be delighted to hear from you directly so I can take care of your reservation personally when you can be assured of our very best attention.
Joost van Spengler

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Excellent location right next to cruise terminal with views down the Solent so you can watch the ships coming into Southampton water without leaving your room.
Clean comfortable quiet rooms with still and sparkling water provided free every day.
Good choice of English and continental breakfast and evening meals.
Staff very helpful and friendly.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone going on a cruise ship or just having a few days in Southampton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Southampton water
2 Thank janiceallan59
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear Ms Allen
I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Most of our rooms provide a spectacular view across the Solent and I am pleased you enjoyed this. Our location is indeed next to the main Cruise Ship Terminals and, just in the event you weren’t aware of this, we offer some great Park Stay and Go packages which can be booked directly with the Hotel or On-Line at www.holidayinn.com. Recently we launched our new ‘Best of British’ Menu and it is great to read you had an opportunity to try this out. Hopefully you will have an opportunity to book another cruise at some stage in the future when we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Southampton.
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed here for a night recently. I found the hotel to be a nice run of the mill hotel, although was quite disappointed when I was told at reception that none of the rooms had a sea view.

The room was pleasant although it was in need of a few touch ups like a new hook on the back of the bathroom door instead of gaping big screw holes, a working heated towel rail, a shower head that didn't fall apart when the shower is switched on and also a rubber bath mat to stop you slipping in and out the bath when going for a shower.

I booked an executive room and would have liked a bit more room for my money but nevertheless, the service was very good in the hotel so a big thanks to all the staff but a bit more attention to detail please.

One of the things I would like to highlight is that when I ordered poached eggs for breakfast, I received them in good time but then the woman who brought them out to me said the following, "... here are your poached eggs, I don't know who the chef is or how good he is so good luck with them..." This isn't the kind of thing a paying guest wants to hear before breakfast as part of an "award winning breakfast".

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the service we provided. More then half of our rooms have a sea view and I am obviously disappointed these were already occupied by other guests prior to your arrival. We typically pride ourselves for the high standards of service and comfort we offer to our guests and I am sorry to read that we may have fallen short on this occasion in some areas. I have discussed your feedback with the members of my Management Team and can assure you your comments will be followed up on.
Regards