“Basically Sound Under Pressure”

Holiday Inn Southampton
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 2 July 2012

In fairness, we stayed the evening of the Jubillee celebrations awaiting a cruise ship. The hotel was packed and staff under pressure. Nevertheless, we were dealt with in a friendly, courteous and helpful manner. Our room was very good in all respects. However, they did not allow reservations for dinner in advance, so could only offer a table in late evening. The bar had no spare tables, partly because sightseers had called in for a snack and to avoid the heavy rain. We tried a couple of local food places but they were all full. We opted for eating in our room. There was a shortish delay, which we expected. We ordered Lasagne, but the pasta was like shoe leather and uneatable. We have stayed here before and found it excellent, and would certainly stay again, but we didn't understand why we could not reserve a table in advance.

Room Tip: Choose a room with views oveer the Port.
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your stay at the Holiday Inn Southampton during the Jubilee Weekend. I am delighted that once again my team provided you with a friendly and courteous service during what was indeed a very busy weekend as a result of the Cunard Celebration Event in the park across from the Hotel. Unfortunately due to the very poor weather many members of the public came in to the hotel looking for shelter and indeed dinner. Rest assured we were taking table reservations earlier during the evening but due to the high demand we had to stop taking these and offer tables to waiting guests as these became available. I fully understand that this is not something one would normally expect in a hotel but under the circumstances, and as an exception, we had no choice but to move away from our normal operating procedures for which I hope you accept my apologies. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel at some future date.
Kind regards

Reviewed 1 July 2012

I arrived at the HI Southampton at 11:00 after a long drive from home. Tired and just wanting some quick and courteous service I was met with the most disinterested, dishevelled and disaffected receptionist it has ever been my displeasure to meet. His appearance matched his behaviour perfectly: stained and over-used shirt, grey at the cuffs and down the placket. Grubby tie which looked as if it had spent most of its time in the bottom of a locker. The greeting was minimal and pathetic, not an ounce of friendliness. The business of registering was over in a minute or so and I was given my room card with the words "609". That was it. I had booked a double non-smoking and was shocked to discover room 609 is a twin smoker. Returning to the same pathetic looking individual who had checked me in; his only response in the 4 minutes i stood there waiting for another room key was "huh", nothing else - no apology, nothing.
The rooms here are very average, the service on check-in was simply the worst I have ever experienced. My advice - get this individual some customer service training or get rid. He does nothing for the brand of HI and would be better suited working in an environment where he can look at his customer with a blank stare uttering the monotone phrase "computer says no" - in this he would be role-model.

Room Tip: The Novotel across the road looks very nice
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Mark H
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for feeding back your arrival experience at the Hotel. I am in complete agreement with you and very much hope you will accept my apologies for the lack of basic courtesy and basic hospitality. Please rest assured that this incident is not typical to our otherwise high standards of customer service and your feedback will be acted on in terms of reviewing our welcome procedures and retraining our team members were necessary.
Thank you very much for bringing your experience to our attention.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

Check-in was quick and the Receptionist was genuinely friendly and caring. As a Priority Club member, no upgrade was available due to the hotel being fully booked, but water and chocolates were offered.

Room was comfortable, as was the bed and pillows. Perhaps a bit dates, but fit for purpose. The room had a good view of arriving and departing cruise ships.

Swimming pool and spa was great! Staff in the gym was also very friendly and helpful.
Good location for exploring local historic bits and shooing centre.

The breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn spread, all fresh and a great selection of fruit in the fruit salad!

Only negative point... Why charge so much for Wi-Fi?! £16 for 24 hours is day light robbery! And Also... How does Holiday Inn, sponsor of the Olympics get there promotional material wrong?! (see attached photo of incorrectly used apostrophe!) Inexcusable.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Overall, my stay was fine. The location is great and the staff was very affable but rooms could use a bit of upgrading though they are of good size. As a previous reviewer mentioned, it's a standard Holiday Inn. The food at the restaurant is pretty decent but their hours are somewhat inflexible. Depending on the price, I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mary L
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your posting your review following your recent stay. Our location is indeed very central and easy to access when visiting the city. We very much pride ourselves in providing a high and personal level of service and I am very pleased you had an opportunity to experience this. We recently launched our great new Best of British Menu and I am delighted you had an opportunity to sample this. Our restaurant is open for dinner every day from 18.30 until 22.00 whilst our extensive lounge menu is available daily from 11.00am until 23.00hrs. I very much hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Kind regards
Joost

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Needed an overnight stay for 6 adults and 15 days parking for 2 cars prior to a cruise. Bed and Breakfast plus parking at this hotel turned out cheaper than booking P&O's own parking. With a fantastic location for both the cruise terminal (we could see and hear our ship come in on the morning of departure) and the city centre for some last minute shopping, this hotel was perfect. An added bonus of free taxis to the ship were included....perfect for excited passengers with heavy suitcases.
Large comfy beds, clean rooms and fab breakfasts set us up nicely for our well earned holiday.

Room Tip: Book through Holiday Inn's own website or central booking line for best deals and help booking.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted you had a comfortable stay with us before setting sail and enjoy your holiday. We indeed offer some great Park Stay & Go offers and I am pleased you were able to take advantage of this. All our packages can be booked by contacting the hotel directly or via our website (hisouthamptonhotel.com)

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I was greeted well with very helpful receptionist, & was pleased with Platinum upgrade. My room had a nice view of the Solent & a good range of TV channels including HD.
A slight concern about the bath cleanliness with a used bath flannel left on the side...
Room service was pretty good with generous portions, although I would have liked more variation on my cheeseboard.
I slept well as the bed was comfortable.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Southampton. I am very pleased to read we were able to upgrade you to an Executive Room and that you had a great night’s sleep. I am also delighted to read you received a warm welcome upon arrival. Your comment in regards to a used bath flannel left in the room is obviously of concern and I will address this with my Housekeeping Manager. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stay here every time we cruise and find it comfortable, clean and friendly staff that have become somewhat like family to us after all these trips. Great to see the same faces each visit. Kudos to Michelle and Sammi on front desk. Smooth and efficient check-in and check-out. Location is excellent for shopping, restaurants etc. High Street is historic and busy and an easy walk. The hotel has been there for a while and while somewhat dated, all the essentials are there for a nice, comfortable stay. Try the breakfast. One of the best we found in over two months on this European trip.Our compliments to management for retaining such a diligent staff.