Holiday Inn Southampton
  • Bar/Lounge
Star Hotel(Southampton)
  • Pool
1,293 results
All reviewscruise terminalfloor to ceiling windowsseparate buildingpre cruise stayexecutive roommayflower parkreception staffbit datedstayed here for one nightisle of wightfollowing morningbuffet styleself servicetown centregood nights sleepbreakfast was excellentcar parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Whilst visiting Southampton for work I decided to take advantage of this hotel because of proximity to the waters edge . Upon arrival - easy to find , spacious car park, easy access reception . Staff were efficient at checking in - but we're not particularly knowledgable of local area ! The hotel it self looks ok , it's no spring chicken , and there are signs of ageing - lifts , room , decor! The rooms were ok , but windows draughty . Not all tv stations working but not a problem . The bathroom was old but like the room clean.
If you are using the hotel as a base prior to going on a cruise then I'ts ideal , however if not I personally would choose a different location.
Breakfast - good selection

I personally didn't pay for the room - work did - if I was paying for it then I would probably choose a different hotel

Room Tip: One side of hotel you look on to car parks and a working port , the other is the isle of white ferry - I would go for ferry side - and high up
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Ian D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Dear imduk,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is pleasing to know that the breakfast served during your travel lived up to expectations. However, I am sorry that you did not completely like the layout of the property - particularly the rooms and the lifts. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Again, thank you for the candid feedback and I hope you give us another chance to host you again in the future.

Regards,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 March 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight at this hotel as we were collecting our daughter from university. After driving down from the Midlands in snow and spray it was nice to walk in and be greeted in a very friendly fashion by Andy on reception. given a choice of a high or low floor we opted for a high one and got an end room on the 9th floor. This gave us a fascinating view of the comings and goings at the port. It also gave us an excellent view of the starlings in the evening as others have mentioned.
We had booked a standard double room and have no complaints about it whatsoever. It was a bit colder than I would have liked but not uncomfortable. there were no plug sockets beside the bed so i went down to reception and asked if they had an extension lead as my hsuband uses a CPAP machine at night. Within seconds they had produced one for me.

The room was very clean, as was the bathroom. Towels were plentiful and fluffy. Readers who have read other reviews of mine will know I have a thing about towel size and in this instance I would have preferred the towels to be a couple of inches bigger all round but they were adequate and they showed no signs of wear at all.

The bed was very comfy and there was a choice of pillows. There was adequate drawer and hanging space for a longer stay.

We did not eat in the restaurant but we did visit the bar. Prices were what I would expect for a hotel in the UK. A large Pinot Grigio, a pint of beer and two packets of peanuts cost £12. The bar staff were all very pleasant. We treated ourselves to breakfast in our room and it was excellent. it was delivered on time and was hot and very tasty. The orange juice was excellent.
I had a look at the room service menu and there were several vegetarian options on it, more than usual. Even though two of them were not what I would have eaten I would still have had a good choice if we had taken dinner in our room as well.

I had chosen this hotel instead of the premier Inn where we stayed previously because I fancied somewhere I could take a swim. The pool did not disappoint. The staff were very friendly. the termperature of the water was great, none of the shock one usually experiences when entering, and I was given two towels when I expected the usual one. The changing rooms were very clean and the showers very good. The pool and fitness club are in a separate building so you have to cross a short stretch of car park to reach it. Room keys must be shown and there is a £1 charge for the locker which is then refunded when you have finished. One thing I particularly liked about the pool was that it had an area for lane swimming.
By booking in advance I paid £79 for bed and breakfast for two of us. There was an additional £7 for parking which for 24 hours was reasonable in my opinion and £3 tray charge for eating in our room. I think it excellent value for money and would certainly stay there again. A lovely stay overall.

Room Tip: High floors have great views if you want to watch the ships
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your detailed review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and indeed our leisure facilities as well. We not only take great pride in providing comfortable and clean accommodation and other facilities but also in offering a high level of personal service. It is therefore particularly pleasing to read you experienced this on a number of occasions in different areas during your stay. We hope we may have an opportunity to welcome you back at some stage in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Only stayed one night for business , everything was very smooth , professional and comfortable. My room on floor 4 was very spacious , comfortable double bed . deep bath , powerful shower , large picture window looking over towards the Solent. Breakfast was all you could ask for , with fresh tea or coffee and all you could ever want to eat.

I will be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your overnight stay with us, especially from an experienced international traveler, and reviewer, such as yourself. Hopefully you will have an opportunity to return soon and perhaps stay a little longer!

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Our two day stay here brought back memories of how bad three star hotels were in the 80's. I've stayed in Holiday Inns around the world and this one fairs poorly. This is a business hotel puffed up by it's premier location during the Southampton Boat Show, sea views and location. Dated design, slow lifts and tired rooms with ancient 80's bathrooms. Spa facility is very dated and limited in design and features. If Holiday Inn were to check, they would find that £17 per day for Internet is excessive, it's not free anywhere! Get with the times. Weekend rates are usually for private guests and need to be market comparable OR offer a slightly more relaxed atmosphere with better service. Breakfast was ok £20, buffet style but hardly comparable with other local hotels (Hilton and De Veer), canteen style eatery, hardly in line with a four star claim. Car parking is charged at £7 a day and you join the queue to leave at the front desk to get your exit card.
Sorry Holiday Inn, not my favourite and not on my wish again list.

Room Tip: Ask for an East facing room if you want to salvage something. Also stay below floors 4-5 say if you want to walk instead of waiting forever for a lift.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear valuable Guest,
I am very sorry to read you were disappointed with a number of elements during your stay. Whilst we may not be a newly build hotel, we do pride ourselves in the maintaining our facilities to a high and comfortable standard, which includes an ongoing refurbishment of our bedrooms. The Holiday Inn Southampton is classified and operates as a three star full service hotel and I would like to reassure you that our services and charges are always closely monitored to ensure we not only provide good value but also remain competitive with local hotels in the city. Again, I am very sorry to read you were disappointed on this occasion but hope that on reflection you may one day decide to stay with us once more when you can be assured of our very bext attention at all times.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Stayed overnight at the hotel on Saturday 16th March after having taken a tour on the P&O Cruise Liner Oceana. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone without a moment's hestitation. The arrival was welcoming , the room was comfortable and spacious and the breakfast the next morning was just wonderful. The restaurant staff made us feel like we were their own family and there was nothing that was too much trouble for them. We did not use the Spa and Swimming pool facilities, but it was clear from the popularity by which they were used both by Hotel guests and also by non-residents that the set up was good. Another time when we stay longer it will certainly be on our list to make use of. We will use this Hotel again, no doubt about it.

Room Tip: High rooms have a great view over Southamptom Water
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the Hotel. I am very pleased you enjoyed our hospitality and the attentiveness of my Team Members. Your recommendation is very much appreciated and we may have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.