“Very Small Room”

Holiday Inn Southampton
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This hotel was really not what I expected. It was clean but so very small. They do have a very friendly staff and very helpful staff. Food at the bar was also good. Breakfast was also very good and the staff at breakfast very nice and pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harleybabe03
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your comments posted with regard to your stay here at the Holiday Inn Southampton. Your feedback on the team here and our food is most welcomed and I will certainly pass these onto those concerned. I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

This was an overnight stay before a cruise. The outside of the hotel looked OK, but dated. There was a cheerful mob of cruise passengers checking in when I arrived, and the front desk staff was as happy as the cruisers - everybody was in the bon voyage spirit. While standing in line to register, I noticed how dated and tired the furniture, carpets, and general overall decor appeared.
The elevators are tiny in this hotel, and very slow. If you need to get someplace in a hurry on cruise day, plan extra time waiting for the elevators!
My room was near the top of the hotel, and the best thing about it was the view - through two opening windows - overlooking the cruise ship terminals as well as part of the old town of Southampton. The rest of the room looked like a 1950 time capsule, with thrift-shop style furniture. Nothing matched, and it had chips, cracks, dents. I had not been in the room very long when I noticed a very strong, almost chemical odor which was sickening. Even with the windows open, it was terrible, and I requested a room change. This was granted, and the new room was also up high with the same great harbor view. Same old, worn-out furniture however. The bathroom was clean but very small, and there were nice toiletries. The upholstered chair in this room, however, had truly disgusting stains on it, was wet in some places, and damp the rest of it. I pushed it out into the hallway and asked for another chair. Housekeeping produced a desk chair which was not comfortable, but at least they replaced the chair. The carpet definitely needed replacing in this room, and did not look clean.
I noticed the bedding was peculiar when I turned down the covers that night. There was a rather tired comforter in a duvet cover, but apparently no sheets on the bed, just a paper-topped, plastic-backed mattress protector very thin thing on the seriously tired and far too soft mattress. It made for a terrible night's sleep, needless to say. When I mentioned this to the front desk next morning, they told me there should have been sheets on the bed. I checked the duvet again, and there was some kind of very thin sheet, but it had stuck to the duvet, and felt like some kind of nylon fabric. The mattress protector appeared to be similar to those used in hospitals or nursing homes.
The staff at this hotel were far better than the room, fortunately. Anything I needed or had questions about was promptly taken care of with great British humor and cheer. The front desk arranged for a cab at my convenience to take me to the cruise terminal the next morning. The cost is very low, about $7 US, and the driver was definitely professional, in a dress shirt and tie, and very polite. Cabs are booked by room number, and the driver comes in and calls your number when it's time to leave from the lobby.
A great place for dinner while staying at this hotel is the Duke of Wellington Pub, an 800 year old true English pub abouit a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Wonderful landlord host, fabulous fish and chips, and the ambience is truly authentic and beautiful. The front pub room is lively, and there is also a back room which is quiet, beautifully decorated, with a Tudor era stone fireplace, leaded glass windows, soft seating and nautical decor on ancient planked walls, beamed ceiling. Also worth exploring if time permits is the Old Town of Southampton, an easy walk from the hotel. Many historical streets and buildings and cobblestone streets, and informative signage explains the history. The town walls are massive, and very old in this town which has been a historic seaport for centuries.
Breakfast was delightful the morning of my cruise - the lady who oversees the small dining area is full of energy and enthusiasm, and takes care of her guests with motherly devotion. There is a big buffet with British and familiar American foods, or you can order a la carte from a menu. Small area, but full of light and cheerful. The food was very good, and reasonably priced. The British have been through a lot in their history, and have apparently learned what to be upset about and what to be cheerful about - their attitude is amazing, and their enthusiasm for life and its good things is contagious and wonderful to be around.
The hotel building may be in rather desperate need of refurbishing, but the staff more than makes up for the shabby room for one night. I would probably stay at this hotel again because of the location, convenience, and staff. From what I heard other cruise guests mention, all the port hotels in the area suffer a bit from heavy use, and this particular property had the best staff overall. Southampton has been a seaport for centuries, and I'm sure I had better accommodations than the sea travelers from the 1600s! The building's condition kept me from giving this property a better rating, but when it comes to the people working there, it's excellent as far as personnel.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room with a view overlooking the cruise terminals.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank NewWorld2C

Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Holiday Inn Southampton. I have read thoroughly your comments and will address the issues you have raised. I am delighted that despite the building not meeting your standards the staff here at the hotel did so and made your stay very welcoming, I will certainly pass these onto the team.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

The hotel Was fine clean, good service, good location, the only thing which made me understand I'm not coming here again is the bed, soft bed that will not support your body (And I am very thin)
Terrible mattress, My whole body needs a good massage now! I'm unhappy and very disappointed.

Room Tip: Probably choose another hotel..
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Guest, I am very disappointed to read that your recent stay at the hotel did live up to your expectations, in that your sleep was not as comfortable or relaxing as you would like. I have taken your comments on board and I will look into this. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I hope this not deter you from considering using the hotel again in the future.
Robert Walker General Manager

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Hotel modern and clean, room for two persons was a good size, bar food very good and Janice in the bar thinks she is on stage because she is a star!
Running round looking after people in a very friendly and professional manner, she was lovely to deal with and made our stay a memorable occasion - cant wait to return.
We were in So'ton for a seafarers reunion from the 80's and it was great staying at your hotel.

Room Tip: High up for good views - all the rooms are great anyway!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Southampton. You are quite right Janice is a 'star' and I am so please that she made your stay so memorable, I know she will be delighted to hear this. I hope that you will return again and we have the pleasure of looking after you once more.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

we have stayed here on several occasions. the last twice before cruising.

This hotel is very clean and the staff are very helpful

We have had dinner bed and breakfast and bed and breakfast and both were reasonably priced.
The food is very good.

The hotel also has a cruise and stay package

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to write about your pre-cruise experience staying at the Holiday Inn Southampton. I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and the cruise package 'ticked' all the boxes prior to your holiday. I will certainly pass on your praises to my team. If you are planning another cruise in the future, I hope you will take a look at some of our great cruise packages again and you choose to stay with us again. I hope you had a great time on board the ship.
Robert Walker General Manager

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Friday 31 August having booked the plane stay cruise package. The price includes three taxi journeys, Airport to hotel, hotel to cruise terminal and cruise terminal to airport. We arrived before check in time and the reception staff could not have been nicer and more helpful. They took our luggage to a secure room which allowed us to take a stroll into Southampton and enjoy the fantastic weather. On our return we were checked in by (please excuse me if I'm wrong) Karen who outlined the details of our package, ordered the taxi for the following morning then told us the news that we had been upgraded to a suite - fantastic!!. Having never used this package before we had a list of questions but Karen answered every one during our check in before we even had a chance to ask.
Our room, oops sorry suite, was huge - it even had a dining table that seated six. But the view from the top floor overlooking Town Quay and looking down Southampton Water was incredible.
We used the swimming pool and sauna which was lovely, the breakfast had plenty of choice and was very nice indeed and, once again, the restaurant staff so friendly.
Yes the hotel is probably in need of refurbishment, but it's clean, has friendly, helpful staff and is very handy for all cruise terminals. In fact we liked it so much we're going back in December.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian T

Dear Guest. Thank you for wonderful and kind comments regarding your pre-cruise stay at the Holiday Inn Southampton. It really inspires all of here at the hotel to hear we have made your experience here so memorable as I know they work hard to offer a great service to all of our guests. I will certainly let Karen know of your comments. Thank you. Your feedback regarding the pre-cruise packages we offer was welcomed and appreciated as we do try and offer a selection of cruise packages to everyone's needs. I hope you had a wonderful cruise and we shall look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We booked the cruise package comprising of one night b&b, 15 days parking and a taxi to and from the cruise terminal.

This was our second stay on this deal and the rate is very good, all of the above for the cost of the dockside parking.

The staff were welcoming and helpful, we called ahead to say we would be arriving prior to the 2pm check in and they were happy to check us in early so we could offload our luggage and use the car to explore the surrounding area.

The rooms have floor to ceiling windows and therefore a great view of the various ships in dock as you are only yards from the port entrance.

The car park is secure in as much as it has CCTV, is barrier controlled and you need an exit ticket from reception to drive away. It is a thoroughfare for pedestrians though so we did see crew cutting through from the port, en route to the shopping centre.

The hotel is a few minutes taxi ride from the cruse terminal (Mayflower) and a ten minute walk from the shopping centre and high street.

We will definitely return and would recommend this hotel for a cruise and stay visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank polkadot_shade
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind comments regarding Holiday Inn Southampton and your experience whilst staying pre-cruise. The cruise packages we offer are designed to ensure that everything is made easy and trouble free prior to your holiday. I am delighted that my team made your stay both enjoyable and memorable and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Robert Walker -General Manager