“Fine by us ! Beware the road !”

Holiday Inn Southampton
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Dorset England
“Fine by us ! Beware the road !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Working overseas for a Southampton-based company I had cause to make many stays in many Southampton hotels over many years but for no reason had I ever used the Holiday Inn. I had admired its location but just never stayed there. This month my wife and I had a two night stay for an odd combination of a funeral and some Christmas shopping.
We were very pleased with the welcome at reception, the views from the fifth floor room and the housekeeping service. we ate out with friends in town. In other Southampton city hotels I have often been troubled by noise from pubs, clubs and street revellers into the small hours. This is not the case with the Holiday Inn as it stands away from the hubbub of the city nightlife but all temptation is within easy walking distance. Great care must be taken when trying to cross the dual carriageway outside the hotel . There are no pedestrian crossings for some distance. Risk of an accident is greatly increased when returning from a night out with alcohol-impaired judgement. Yes the rooms are a little tired but not unacceptably so and I am sure that a refurbishment plan is under consideration. My only gripe is that the odd numbered rooms are directly above the hotel's air conditioning plant and there is a low industrial hum throughout the night, even through closed windows. We shall stay again and happily recommend the Holiday Inn

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
rwalker2014, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Guest. Happy New Year to you and thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and the team here made you feel welcome. The main road can be daunting to cross, but if you cross by traffic lights, it is quite safe.
I do hope that should you be on business again in the Southampton area you choose to stay here at the Holiday Inn Southampton, there are some great benefits to staying here and also using the Holiday Inn Brand. Please do ask about these.
Yours sincerely
Robert Walker
Cluster General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Polish first
Ceredigion, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed here just for one night on 5th December. Had a very nice quick check-in experience by the usual friendly staff that Holiday Inn have! Given a standard room on the 8th floor that was very clean and comfortable. Had drinks and dinner in the restaurant and enjoyed it all. The food was excellent as were the staff. Breakfast was brilliant and again so were the staff. Will stay here again without hesitation. One word of caution though the hotel post code we entered into our sat nav took us into a restricted area of the port it took ages to find our way out to where the hotel actually is!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil1957
rwalker2014, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest level of services and facilities and I am delighted that your experience here at the hotel met with your satisfaction. The team here work hard to ensure that all our guests are welcome and make sure your stay is both enjoyable and memorable. They will all be delighted to hear your comments. Thank you. Sat Nav is an issue, one of which I had hope we addressed by changing this on our web site, to SO15 8AG which should bring you directly to the roundabout opposite the hotel, which takes away the route at the opposite end of Herbert Walker Avenue and the port. I will have this checked again. Apologies for the inconvenience. I do hope that should you be in the area again you will choose to stay at the Holiday Inn Southampton.
Robert Walker Cluster General Manager
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed here beginning of December when taking daughter to Christmas Wonderland at Peppa Pig World. Paultons Park only 15 mins away so this hotel is ideal and with views over the port it was lovely sitting in room watching ferry's coming and going. Hotel quite spacious but very clean and staff very friendly and helpful (especially Lynn from behind the bar who was simply fantastic at explaining local area and attractions happening whilst we were staying). We used the pool which was included with the price and found it great although that jacuzzi was the hottest jacuzzi I've ever been in, it really took your breath away getting in. Breakfast was very welcome with wide choice of hot and cold food.
Will definitely stay here again when visiting the area and would recommend it to anyone staying in Southampton.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed our great 'Peppa Pig' package and enjoyed your day at Paultons Park and the Winter Wonderland, its a fantastic experience for all the family. Lyn is quite an asset to our team and her local knowledge of the area is amazing, I will let her know your kind comments, she will be delighted to hear that she helped make your stay memorable as did the rest of the team here. May I take this opportunity to wish a very Merry Christmas and I hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

As an invigilator of exams I am sent to various locations and this week spent a day at The Holiday Inn.
Our host Kev was really helpful and nothing was too much trouble - employee of the month me thinks!
The recommendation of chicken and avocado sandwich was a good one -
Only comment re room - a little chilly but kept everyone alert!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest. Thank you very much. It is not often, someone takes the time to review our meeting facilities and feedback through a media such as TripAdvisor. I am delighted that the exams ran smoothly and Kevan and the team here looked after you. I will pass your thanks on to him.
Thank you again for taking the time to write a review
Kind regards
Robert Walker - Cluster General Manager.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We were delighted with our stay at the Holiday Inn in early November, once we found it. Don't follow your Sat Nav - it takes you the long way round along a very unprepossessing approach used by trucks, passing through gigantic piles of scrap metal! Find the other end of Herbert Walker Avenue.

Our arrival could not have been better handled, a cheery greeting and help with the luggage, plus several glasses of complimentary Bucks Fizz or OJ. All the staff were consistently helpful, polite and eager to please. Our room overlooked rooftops but along the corridor the windows allowed us to watch cruise ships both on the move and docked at one part of the terminal.

The room was adequate, not fantastic, the shower rather antiquated. We spent the evening exploring the West Quay complex, which was within five minutes walking distance, with lots of eateries and the usual range of shops.

In the morning we had a very good buffet breakfast, included in our deal, along with twelve nights parking, which we thought a very reasonable package.

Our only disappointment was that the taxi which took us to the terminal (and which we had gathered was a free transfer) charged us £7.50 whilst (as we discovered on our return journey) taking us on a longer route than necessary - the return fare was £5.50).

All in all we can recommend the Holiday Inn and we would certainly use it again.

1 Thank nicegal
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your feedback and comments regarding your pre-cruise stay at our hotel. I am glad that the Bucks Fizz was a welcomed start to your holiday. All of our Stay and Cruise packages include transfers, there are Park Stay & Cruise packages that do not, I am unable to ascertain which package you booked, but if you would like to contact my PA Tracey, we can review this with you. I apologise for the inconvenience the Sat Nav caused I will certainly look into this. I hope that should you be taking a cruise holiday again in the future you will choose to stay at the Holiday Inn Southampton.
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I got given this very long (so called quick) questionnaire to complete after staying at this hotel. I'd really like an explanations of why hotel managers only respond to public feedback.

Starting with the negatives for that reason only:
- Rooms are ok, but bathrooms are getting old and shabby.
- 1 lift was out of order so had to wait a long time often.
- Leisure facilities were closed
- Breakfast was budget in my opinion (fortunately didn't pay full price). Coffee and OJ wasn't good. Premier Inn offer a better breakfast for less.

Positives
- Beds comfortable
- Rooms good temperature
- Location great for shopping (near West Quays)
- Front desk staff very welcoming and helpful

This is a bit below what I'd expect from a Holiday Inn. Not a great choice in Southampton for this price range, but I think Premier Inn across the road might have the edge.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest level of services and facilities I sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve, your comments have been noted. I hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel next time you are visiting Southampton. The essential lift maintenance is complete and I will certainly check the issue regarding our Leisure Club being closed, as it opens daily from 6.30am except Weekends when it opens 7.00am and closes at 9.30pm, thank you again for bringing this to my attention.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect if you are about to go on a cruise. It is right next to Gate 8 which you can walk to and if you ask for a room overlooking the dock you will be able to wake up and see your ship.The room was very spacious and well appointed.The restaurant in the hotel was very good for an evening meal and excellent for breakfast. We found the reception staff very welcoming and put us right into a holiday mood.
Also by gate 8 is the rental car Enterprise and we found that it was a great way to get to Southampton as a one way rental being we were going transatlantic and therefore not returning to the port

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the cruise terminal