“Great for a Pre Cruise Stay ”

Holiday Inn Southampton
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here the night before a cruise with my wife and small daughter. Things started off great as the lady on reception started with some banter about my T Shirt which I quite enjoyed. She then went on to explain how the cruise package I had booked worked perfectly. When we got to the room it was nice to see that the Crib requested was in position and fully made up. I can't tell you how many times I've had to ask about this in the past. The hotel itself is what you expect from an Holiday Inn rooms slightly dated but Communal areas clean and modern. I have to say that the set up for cruising is very smooth. The Taxi firm that Holiday Inn are using are at the hotel within minutes of checkout. Quick to respond on return to Southampton and they were friendly and don't complain if your cruising from Dockgate 4 which takes them longer to do. If I had one problem with the hotel it would be the lifts. They are small and when people are moving luggage you can wait a long time. If you can use the stairs I would do and just use the lift when bringing down cases, pushchairs and wheelchairs etc...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mappgooner
rwalker2014, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guest. Thank you for your great feedback, I will certainly pass your comments onto
the team here, they will be delighted to hear that they helped make your stay here very enjoyable prior to your cruise. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again. Finally thank you for your feedback with regard to our cruise package, I am delighted that all went smoothly.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

we stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights before boarding the QM2. we have stayed here before and it hasn't changed (updated)...room fixtures and bathroom still dates back to the 70's. the price for internet is really steep paying £5 for an hour!
parking over night in the open lot is £7 and no brekky is included in your stay. i would stay here again, but...a BIG but...look around before booking this hotel as some historic buildings in town are hotels with more modern interiors and free wifi...most pubs and starbucks have free wifi as well

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank jeffwreck

Dear Guest. Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay here at the hotel. The hotel offers a wide range of packages which include parking, for example our Stay & Cruise packages, we offer rates which are breakfast inclusive and packages for families where children eat free. All our packages are available on line to see with some great discounts. I am sorry that the package you stayed on was not suitable to your requirements, I hope that should you be visiting the area again in the future my team here will help you select a package that is tailored to your needs.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Used this hotel for one of the 2 for 1 deals with Paultons park/peppa pig world (2 adults, 1x7yr old, 1 x 2yr old) over the May bank holiday. We had a quad room which when we went in did not have the 4th bed, but rang down to reception and within 10mins a 4th bed appeared, very apologetic. We found all the staff to be very helpful and happy and breakfast was very good.
Right by the docks so good views of all the boats. I would recommend this hotel, we even used the pool before breakfast on the Monday which was great for the kids.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank daisydooEngland

Dear Guest. Thank you for your comments from your stay here at Holiday Inn Southampton whilst visiting Peppa Pig World. I hope that you your family enjoyed Peppa Pig, its a great day out for children. Your feedback is vital to the team here at the hotel as this ensure we continually strive to meet all our guests expectations. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family again in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a clean modern hotel with good facilities and close to city center and docks. the rooms are light and comfortable. The pool and fitness center are in a separate building so if you intend to us them take a little bag with you. The facilities are what you would expect from a modern busy hotel. Buffet breakfast was excellent and the staff were most helpful, we didn't have any other meals however we did have a couple of evening drinks in the bar area, and were served by friendly and polite staff.

On my last cruise we stayed at the Holiday Inn Eastleigh however when I contacted IHG to book I was informed that this hotel operated a 'cruise loyalty scheme' so I decided to swap. On check in when I asked for information on the scheme I was informed that no such scheme exists? I booked two rooms, and only the second receptionist offered us a free drink (IHG gold loyalty card holder). These minor misunderstanding did not put us off our stay and we intend to stay here again when we return for our next cruise in November

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the trouble to comment on your recent stay here at Southampton. Your feedback is vital to myself and team to ensure that all our guests expectations are met. I am sorry you had an issue with the explanation of our our Cruise Loyalty scheme which we do operate, I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in November, when you book mention to our reservation team who will ensure that all is available when you arrive. Thank you again for your kind comments I will be sure to pass these onto our team.
Robert Walker
Cluster General Manager

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions over a number of years.

Pros: Excellent, management-led, friendly staff - especially Ruth in the restaurant; breakfast is always excellent - fairly usual buffet selection but always good quality and they seem to cook in small batches so everything tastes fresh; good location (especially for ship-watching); good-sized indoor pool, spa-bath & sauna facilities (and Gym for those that want one).

Cons: the rooms needed refurbishment when I first stayed here about 7 or 8 years ago and still do! I understand they have started this but it seems very slow.

With the rooms as they are, this hotel only gets this high a rating from me because of the friendly staff and good breakfast, otherwise it would be a 3. With refurbished rooms it will be a very worthy 4!

I look forward to another pre-cruise stay in October.

Room Tip: Best views from high floor overlooking front of the hotel (and the Solent)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest. Thank you very much for your feedback from your recent stay here at Holiday Inn Southampton. Your comments are appreciated and I will certainly pass your thanks to Ruth and her team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel once again.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed here on business, the girls are helpful on reception. The hotel was very busy with a party of 30 which may have caught the restaurant off guard as we had to wait 50 minutes for our starter which was only a Feta salad. I ordered an 8oz Rib Eye steak which is not cheap but I was expecting a top steak. It was the worst I have ever had full of fat. It went back immediately and a replacement Sirloin was ordered which was perfect. My only problem then was my buddy and I did not eat together making our night not as we had planned.
The rooms are a bit dated but thankfully it was quiet....

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RobsterWirral
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear RobsterWirral,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns about your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience your restaurant experience may have caused you. Rest assured that the issues you have raised have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Very happy with birthday upgrade to huge room on 9th floor. Staff friendly and attentive. Easter chocolates and complimentary drinks a nice touch. Perfect base for our canoeing trip with New Forest Activities out of Bailey's Hard, near Beaulieu. Will definitely return and continue to use Holiday Inn for business trips to maintain platinum status. Thanks to all the staff.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
rwalker2014, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Guest. I hope you enjoyed your canoeing experience in the New Forest. Thank you for your kind comments and I am delighted that you enjoyed your 'eggtravaganza' weekend.
I look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards. Robert Walker. Cluster General Manager