“If your Cruising stay here”

Holiday Inn Southampton
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We stayed here the day before our cruise, the staff were welcoming asking if we wanted to join the priviledge club, wehich meant we could keep our room until 2pm. We had asked for a view looking over the docking area for Cunard, and we wer not disappointed. The room was quite large and the bed comfortable. The breakfast the next morning was more than adequate, eat all you like baisically. If I was going to go on a cruise whereby I wouldnt be coming back ot Southampton, then I would definately stay there again, its near the West Quay shopping centre so plenty of last minute shoping for anything you have forgotten. Free taxi to the terminal too.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Southampton

Reviewed 21 February 2011

My partner and I have just got back after a Rewards Night at the Holiday Inn Southampton. We were a little alarmed by some of the previous reviews here but our worries were unfounded, our stay was very pleasant and both dinner and breakfast were delicious! The staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Exellent location if you're going on the Red Funnel ferry or want to go shopping or visit the boat show! It's not the smartest hotel, but is comfortable, clean and we had an exceptionally good room rate. Overall we were thoroughly impressed with the room and hotel. The only bad point is that the hall on floor 3 has a very unpleasant smell - damp/mouldy? - but the room itself was very good. Breakfast was also good - fruit, juices, hot buffet, pastries - and we were seriously impressed with the staff serving at breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I think I must have stayed at a different hotel when reading the previous reviews as I had an excellent 2 night weekend stay here and did not notice the hotel "showing its age". I was seen to immediately and efficiently on arrival at reception. My room on the 6th floor was clean (as was everywhere else in the hotel), had ample tea and coffee supplies, comfy beds and was quiet. The view over Southampton Water and the town walls was superb. I ate dinner each night in the hotel taking advantage of one of their set menus. When the wine I wanted wasn't available I was offered a choice of other similar wines. I also drank in the bar where the service was efficient and the drinks cheap (may have been undercharged!). I prebooked breakfast on arrival at Reception so saving £5. There was an excellent choice of hot and cold dishes at breakfast which could not be faulted and it was certainly not busy. As I stayed for 2 nights they even came to check on the second day that my room had been made up and that all was OK. Great location too - can walk to West Quay shopping centre, Ikea and the ferry to the Isle of Wight. My only minor complaint is that the room was too hot but I prefer being too hot than too cold. As I booked 2 nights for the price of 1 the room only cost £27.50. What more can you ask for?

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I arrived on a sunday night late around 22:00, the bar and restuarant was closed. The reception was manned by a gent who upon arrival ignored me. I said hello and was told I'm busy at the moment you'll have to wait. One of the staff came over and starting talking to him and continued to ignore me. When he had finsihed his chat and filed his paperwork he asked what I wanted. I told him I was checking in, his response was I'm in the wrong screen wait a minute. He then saw my priority club card and started to be more pleasant, asking if I wanted a high or low floor. I selected a high floor went for the lift which was sticky on the floor. I came out of the lift and the corridor was quite dingy. I found the room went in and was surprised by the large picture window across the docks. The bed was moderately firm so not bad in my mind, I started unpacking and found the cupboard had not been cleaned one of the shelves had so much dust you could write your name in it. So I had a proper look around the room, the carpet had been vacuumed up to the bed but not under it. IN the bathroom the sink was cracked, the shower tiles were yellowing and the glasses were dirty.
The hotel is quite close to the docks so if a big ship comes up the river in the middle of the night it may wake you. I woke up when a Saga Cruise ship tied up.
I decided not to have breakfast in the hotel as it was not included on my tariff yet with an Ikea nearby with cheap food it was easier for me.
When I checked out I checked the bill and found they had charged me for the complementary I queried it and was told tough luck. I was tempted to give it back. I asked to speak to the duty manager and was told that they no longer talk to customers.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We stayed at this hotel two night pre-cruise in late October. We had the rooms booked in early summer, and when I started reading negative reviews in the summer I wrote HI a letter asking if I had made a mistake booking this hotel. I received a letter from the manager assuring me that I would have a wonderful stay and also noting that Tripadvisor is mainly for "people with a grudge to complain". I must say that he lied--our stay was terrible, and on top of that we were double charged for the room, and it took until Jan.5th to get my money back. When we got our money back for the double charge it was not through the hotel because they never even responded to HI's customer service request for more information. After my third phone call to customer service they just cut a check and sent it to me because of the lack of response from the hotel, and I never got back my international currency charge.
The hotel looks ok from the outside, and the lobby is nice enough, but the rooms and the desk staff were terrible. We arrived early and a cruise was leaving that day so they were very busy. We told them we had arrived, but that we understood rooms weren't ready, gave them our names and we'd be back around 2pm. When we got back a number of people had already checked in ahead of us and apparently the decent rooms had been assigned although we gave our names early and asked for nice rooms. I called the desk to see if we could be moved and was told that all of the rooms were exactly the same, and besides they were totally booked. Our room on the 3rd floor was dismal, worn and shabby although it did face the harbor. On top of that every time we flushed the toilet the pipes made a screaming sound that could be heard all over that wing of the hotel. Also when the toilets were flushed in the rooms on either side of ours we heard the same screaming sound. I can tell you that in the room next to ours they flushed their toilet three times during the night because it woke us up every time. The shower had some mildew, but the worst part was the plumbing there. When we--or our neighbors--used the shower the pipes banged as loudly as a jack hammer. The worst part was when my husband sat down on the bed, and the headboard fell on him landing on the shoulder he had replaced only 4 months earlier.
The front desk staff was cold and not at all helpful. The first day we asked for directions to the mall, and we were told to go to the tourist bureau which was several blocks away, it was pouring rain, and we are obviously seniors. Once we got outside we asked another guest and found that the mall was right across the way--would it have been too much trouble to tell us that? The only time we got a tepid response of any interest was when we told them the headboard that fell on my husband was in the hallway.
Amazingly, the restaurant was lovely, airy, had great service and great food. We were very reluctant to go to breakfast the first morning, but we were delighted to find friendly, competent employees and a very good breakfast buffet.
I'm amazed that HI would put their name on a hotel of this dubious quality, and on my next cruise I certainly won't be staying at this hotel. We generally stay at HI's in England because we've always had very nice hotels and good service--this one lets the chain down.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Donnag
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Stayed the one night prior to our cruise the rooms where of the normal standard of this chain, which I find to be good.
What lets this Hotel is the stupid price of its meals and drinks.
We talked to people who had just dined in the restaurant , who was not impressed in the service the food or the prices and strongly advised us to eat else where which we duly did.
We had one drink at the bar which was to dear for the bar provided which was very dull.
As breakfast was included we went down for this. To say it was a bun fight was not doing it justice it was much worse than that. Total chaos with not enough staff to cope dirty tables everywhere, running out of fruit juice, food, spoons, etc etc.
The staff who where their did the very best to cope and I could not fault their efforts but it was to much of a uphill struggle for them. God bless them for the effort they put in.
I did not see anyone in charge of this mess.
I should hope the hotel is normally better run than this as I normally stay at one of the other Holiday Inns when I am in Southampton which is run much better than this one.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple