“Good Value Good Hearty Breakfast”

Highfield House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Brecon
“Good Value Good Hearty Breakfast”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed with wife one night b and b on 4.2.2012 for £49 pounds. Staff helpful etc room fine for the money and breakfast very very good (5 stars) Slight problem with bathroom rad - no heat - hotel then supplied heater, room smelt slightly of smoke although non smoking room but thats often beyond control of staff, no hot water at about 2300hrs but plenty in the morning, slightly annoying TV but thats probably my fault - could only get one channel Sky News which was okay as I only wanted to get updated re the snow which was expected. Overal although some probs but would be happy to stay again which tells you alot - stayed in the Travellodges in Southampton and Eastleigh when in this area previously but wished I had booked in here instead - live and learn. Good location for what I wanted, good parking (free) not like the nearby Southampton Travelodge. £49 B and B for two gets my thumbs up

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Scotland
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed here for a week due to its proximity to the Univeristy where we were working. Room 30 really is a twitchy room but was of reasonable decor, cleanliness and reasonable facilities. Breakfast was excellent with food constantly being refreshed.

As a side point, While we were there a firm alarm went off at 7am. The guests dutifully lined up in the car park while staff went to work. Unfortunately there was very little communication with the guests both during the alarm and afterwards. This could be improved in future.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank havevanwilltravel09
York
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I came to stay in this hotel on the first Saturday of December whilst visiting some friends in Southampton. I used to study at the University here so I know the area well and walked past the hotel every day on my way to university, I was prepared for noise of students returning home after a night out! I didn't need to be as I didn't hear a peep. The room was in the old part of the hotel and on the top floor looking at the road. It was quiet and ample sized. The room was clean and had all the ammenities you would expect from a hotel (I work in hotels myself). The breakfast was included in our rate, there was a buffet style breakfast with everything you could want, except there wasn't any scrambled egg (I love scrambled egg).

I have a few complaints about the hotel though...the stairs up to our room were worn and had black gaffa tape sticking the carpet down, I was a bit worried I would trip up on the stairs on my way up! The shower in our bathroom was so noisy I thought it was going to blow up! I am glad I didn't decide to have a shower too late at night or early in the morning as I am sure it would wake everyone up in the floor. Also, the room cleaner nocked on our room at early in the morning to clean it, check-out isn't until late morning so I was a bit confused as to why they were trying to clean our room when we were still in it!

A great place for a short stay, just be ware of the cleaners trying to clean early in the morning!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rachael A
Brighton
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This is an excellent hotel for the money. Our room was quiet and very clean and well equipped. We had a good breakfast the next morning - great options for a Full English all good quality and well cooked. There was also a possibility for cold cuts, cheese and hard boiled egg plus juice, coffee and toast. Oh - and fruit salad and yoghourt.
The thing that further makes this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff for whom nothing is too much trouble. We needed an earlier check-in than they offer and when I phoned ahead the receptionist could not have been more accommodating. In the event we arrived earlier than intended and when I went in to check on the situation she immediately - and magically - knew who I was and said our room was ready. She was chatty and kind and took the slight stress out of our tight timetable.
I cannot praise this hotel too highly - and I am an experienced traveller. We would not hesitate to visit it again nor to recommend it to anyone looking for a good value experience in central Southampton.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BrightonSonia
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Had a one night stay which was £10 cheaper than the Premier Inn for a family of 4 with breakfast - very good value.

Old hotel with rooms fairly recently refurbished, and our room was very clean. The service, from initial email contact and all through our stay, was excellent. Staff couldn't have been more helpful and were great with two small excited children, bringing two large glasses of milk up to our room for them as soon as we arrived (no charge).

Breakfast was a really good buffet with excellent range, including good quality sausages and bacon. There were plenty of staff keeping everything replenished and clearing tables efficiently.

Its not a luxury hotel but for the price it was really comfortable and with a far better breakfast than in the chains. Will definitely use it again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Maria A
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2011

total value for money!... a super breakfast!.... wonderful staff nothing was too much trouble.... clean room.. fresh bedding and towels etc ...close to restaurants and shops...theres plenty of parking at this hotel we shall defo be booking in the future!!!! thanks for a lovely stay!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank michelle b
Gt Missenden
Reviewed 7 November 2011

It's OK - professional staff at reception, good welcome, clear explanations etc. Room and bed were small, however, it was clean and bed was fresh smelling and comfortable. Desk chair was heavily stained ... ugh. Bathroom seemed clean but sealant around bath was grey / mouldy in places and there was a hole behind the shower controls. It was a thermostatic power shower that held its temperature well.

So generally clean ... but ... it's just so very tired and dated. Definitely in need of a refurb.

Breakfast was a buffet ... it was OK ... everything was hot, but bacon was rather dry and hard. Coffee came from a self-serve machine - average. Staff were pleasant and attentive, clearing plates, keeping everything clean etc. Even saw a chef checking temp of the various hot dishes which I've never seen before (was it precautionary or have they had a problem?).

So, overall it was clean but dull and uninspiring. Would I stay there again? well, it was conveniently located for us as we had a family 'occasion' at the nearby church ... so in similar circumstances I would stay there again. But other than that I wouldn't go out of my way to visit again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple