“Good value”

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Southampton
“Good value”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Nice clean room with everything you need. Staff friendly and helpful. Convenient for bars and restaurants in Portswood, plenty of parking, and a good price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We were a party of 4 (2 couples) and stayed here for 1 night only. We were very happy with everything, the room was clean and basic but for the money and breakfast included we felt it was good value for money. The staff were all attentive and polite, we had no complaints.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I was encouraged by the good reviews and also by their own advertising which claims this is a 'stylish modern hotel' . On arrival, before I even saw my room, the receptionist took full payment for the 10 days of my stay, not the usual per authorisation procedure. When I finally saw the room, it was little more than a cupboard with a single bed inside. After much negotiation I was finally allocated a larger room, only to be told that was only available for four days. Visitors should also be aware there is no life, and a lot of stairs!

Breakfast was cold every morning, and the bacon was amazing in being both cold and hard.

When I checked out on the fourth day, having made other arrangements for the remainder of my stay, I was told I could not have a refund of the extra six days I had paid for because' the credit card machine is broken'. I was promised this would be processed that afternoon, needless to say I had to phone four days later to chase this, and it was finally refunded then.

The only redeeming feature was the restaurant next door, good food, excellent wine and great service.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Clarfel
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I have stayed here many times and have never been disappointed. The staff are extremely friendly and nothing is too much trouble. If there have been any problems they sort them out willingly and immediately.

The rooms have always been immaculately clean and very warm. The free parking is a plus and the hotel is conveniently situated for the centre of Southampton.

This is my hotel of choice for my overnight stays in Southampton - I have stayed elsewhere before I found the Highfield and this hotel is far preferable.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank AmandaDorset
mancot
Reviewed 4 April 2012

we enjoyed our stay so much we will never stay anywhere else when we return to southampton.
could not fault the room, the staff or the service. nothing was too much trouble.
we celebrated our anniversary there with friends and the staff helped make it a very special day.
breakfast was first class and very close to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gaynor E
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed here while attending a conference at the university. Hotel is 12 min walk away from main campus, so ideal. There is also a great Thai restaurant (Sara's) around the corner, and a selection of pubs etc. it's 2 miles into Southampton city centre, but wasnt a problem for me as I wanted to be able to walk to the Uni.

Would have been nice to have a separate shower rather than in the bath, but no problem. Room was clean and modern, with free wifi. All in all a nice hotel, and would definately stay again. My room faced the front of the hotel above the restaurant downstairs.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Arthurpicton
Flintshire, North Wales.
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here for one night with friends, before joining a cruise ship. The Hotel is well placed and has free parking, which is great. We had a lovely welcome from the staff on reception, the rooms are comfortable and clean, also included breakfast (which is fantastic )and wifi.
You can easily walk to the shops and there is a great eating place next to the hotel, which offers hotel guests 10% discount.
All the staff where polite and helpful.
A big thank you to James and Paul, who went out of their way to make our friends, wedding anniversary very special. We can't thank you enough.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends