“A relief”

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Paris, France
“A relief”
Reviewed 23 April 2008

After a terrible start at Jurys Inn, Highfield House was a welcome relief. The room was a little small, but perfectly comfortable and far better appointed than my room at Jurys. I loved the towel rack warmer in the morning =)

Free wireless, free breakfast buffet, nice staff, decent restaurant next door--no complaints.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank pangloss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
South West England
Reviewed 22 November 2007

I stayed in a single room for one night in November 2007. The member of staff who booked me in was very friendly, almost overwhelmingly so (not that this is a problem!). The room was big enough for one person; the bathroom in particular was large. The refurbished room was comfortable and included a chair, small occasional table and another bench that could be used as a desk. Lighting was energy-saving so a bit dim but I admire the fact that they are using these bulbs. There is a safe too and plenty of hanging space. The bed was comfortable and I was warm enough. The bathroom hadn't been renovated but was clean and had all I needed, though the empty shampoo bottles from the previous occupant were still in the shower. The power shower was a bit average, but that's English showers for you! The breakfast was nice and had a range of options. There is free wireless internet access that I only found out about after chancing on a small sign on one of the tables in reception. You need to get a code from them but there is no charge; contrary to the information in the rooms.
For me the one drawback of this hotel is the soundproofing between rooms, although I am sensitive to noise. I could hear the person having a bath in the room next to me very clearly and television noise was coming through from the room below. I was not too close to the bar noise as I was on the second floor but can easily see how this would be an issue for nearby rooms on the first floor. So if you're worried about this perhaps ask for a room away from the (separate) bar.

• Liked — Friendly staff and free wireless internet access
  • Disliked — Noise from adjoining rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2007

I stayed in this hotel for a friday night. The hotel was clean, and does not have a restaurant for evening meals. In the town you have to eat early as when I got there all restaurants in the area were fully booked. The room was again clean, with tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was comfortable. However when I run the cold tap hot water came out! When I ran the hot tap.......hot water ran out. The shower wouldn't turn on at all, so had to have a hot bath in the morning. When you arrive at the hotel they make you settle straight away which I hadn't experienced before. All in all ok with some reservations.

• Disliked — Bathroom facilities
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NORFOLK
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Have stayed here before which is why we rebooked. Very disappointed this time. A complete muddle with booking with no apology. Having asked for quiet rooms ,given rooms on main road. The rooms are so hot,as there is no air conditioning, you have to have the windows open. Rooms not serviced until afternoon and some of the staff very rude. Needed light bulb replaced and even when it was left on desk in room,remained there along with empty wine bottle and glasses from previous night. Fire alarms went off in the morning and no one seemed to know what was going on. This is not a cheap hotel to stay in. The only plus points are a free Independent newspaper and an excellent breakfast.Prices have increased since it has been refurbished so maybe a lift and air conditioning should be thought off with the money they are making with the overpriced rates. Used to have nice toiletries. Not even a box of tissues now. Bring back the lady who was there before and cheaper rates. Do not want to pay the extra for the 'flat screen' TV which has a very bad picture. There are plenty more Hotels in Southampton

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Price,too noisy and rooms too hot
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 25 September 2007

We have mixed feelings about this hotel. We made the booking over the telephone with a lovely lady called Deanna who was helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, on arrival we found some of the reception staff a little surly which was in complete contrast to the earlier telephone conversation. The room was clean and fairly well presented but really quite small considering the price paid (£109 per night). On the plus side the breakfast was fabulous and the restaurant next door served an amazing sunday lunch.

• Liked — Great breakfast
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mr_and_Mrs_Smith_7
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 31 July 2007

We stayed in this hotel in mid June, as we were catching a cruise the next day from Southampton, as it is half way between the airport and the port this was an ideal location.
The hotel staff were very firendly and the rooms were lovely and modern. the rooms were a bit too warm for my liking, but other than that it was faultless. The breakfast in the morning was very good.
Overall value for money this is a great option to stay for an overnight in Southampton.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cruisee
Bedfordshire, UK
Reviewed 26 June 2007

Stayed at this hotel for one night in June (Saturday) prior to catching a ferry for a short break on the Isle of Wight - 2 adults and 1 child. This was the only room we could find after scouring the internet and we were encouraged by the positive reviews on here.

Anyway, the hotel is in a leafy residential area and was easy to find. Parking was adequate and the public areas of the hotel were clean and tidy. Check in was friendly and straightforward.

At this point, I should say that we booked the hotel through a 3rd party website, as the hotel's own site would not accept a one night booking on this date. We paid £94.00 bed and breakfast .

The cheerful receptionist queried why we had booked using the 3rd party site and we explained that their own site would not allow us to book. We were told that this was because they had a 2 nights for £80.00 offer on, so effectively, I could have booked that and just left after the first night and be £14 better off - this offer was not on the website, so call the hotel direct if you are thinking of staying there!!

We were allocated room 4, with a nice double bed and a single sofa bed. The decor of the room was fresh and it was clean/tidy, with a decent bathroom. The wall mounted flat panel TV had a mix of terrestrial channel (really fuzzy) and Sky channels.

Room 4 is situated above Ceno's Restaurant and bar (to which the hotel leases space) and it wasnt until the evening that we experienced a thumping bass noise coming up through the floor and walls, evidently from the restaurant's sound system. This was going on full pelt at 10.00pm, so my wife called down to reception and spoke to the night porter - he explained that it was Ceno's sound system etc and that they were normally good about noise and that it would be over and done with by 10.45 -11.00pm

When it was still going on at 11.00pm, I went down to reception and spoke to the Night Porter. I basically asked where in the hotel's advertising did it say that I could expect to sleep in a disco! He referred me to the duty manager, who I spoke to on the telephone. From talking to him and the porter, my suspicion was that this is not an unknown issue at the hotel. He apologised etc and promised to reduce the bill.

The music finally stopped at midnight-ish and after that it was peace and quiet. The next morning, we went down for breakfast and the duty manager introduced himself and once again apologised for the disturbance. True to his word, when we checked out, he had taken £30 off our bill, which was a nice gesture and was appreciated.

My issue was not so much with the cause of the noise (after all it was a Saturday night) but the fact that they put families with children in that part of the hotel in the first place.

Breakfast was excellent, with a full cooked and continental buffet.

Incidentally, we ate at Ceno's. As another reviewer said, the place is very trendy and upmarket..... and it has prices to match! The food and service was nice, but I felt it a touch overpriced for what it was - a one minute walk down to Portswood High Street revealed a number of restaurants, including a Pizza Hut, Thai and Indian restaurants.

In summary, this is a good hotel, with friendly staff, but the noise issue spoiled our visit - we would think twice about returning.

• Liked — Friendly staff, decent breakfast, nice room
  • Disliked — noise!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family