“Would go back”

Highfield House Hotel
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 16 June 2013

A very warm welcome from staff on reception. The room is as you would expect from a 3* hotel, we had a slightly bigger room for the use of sofa bed for our daughter (we ended up using our own inflatable bed for her comfort). The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable (the main things I look for in a 3*). I would agree with other reviews that the hotel was very warm and we struggled to get the room cool even though it was not the greatest weather outside. We stayed for 2 nights either side of a trip to Paulton's Park for Peppa Pig World. It is an ideal location for this and has a Sainsburys really near by to stock up on supplies or grab some sandwiches on the way back as we did. The breakfast is excellent, lots of choice, all kept being refreshed even if it hadn't run out, the staff at breakfast were really attentive, including giving our daughter a pen and paper when they noticed she was getting restless! We will happily use the hotel again. If I were looking for fault it would be the lack of pillows/towels for the additional person in the room, easily sorted by the attentive staff and overall a great stay.

Room Tip: Should be aware that there is no lift, we were on 3rd floor but it didn't worry us!
There are newer reviews for Highfield House Hotel

Reviewed 14 June 2013

On a two-nights stay while doing business at Soton Uni. There is not much of a choice around campus and this is one of the only two hotels close to campus. My room was small, terribly hot, and not properly ventilated. Smell of dump and stuffy air were my roommates during my whole stay. I was luckier than a colleague of mine, who had also cigarette smoke coming up into her room from the patrons of the restaurant located beneath her room. Cleanliness is OK overall, but the building shows its age and wood creaks and squeaks when hotel guests walk around. Breakfast: not to die for. There is not much choice and it is rather greasy. Staff is kind. Plenty of room for improvement, but not much of an incentive when there is not much choice around.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the restaurant to avoid cigarette smoke coming into your room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2013

When we arrived we felt the receptionist was brusque and unwelcoming. Given room 5 on the first floor, this room is tiny with a 4ft 6inch double bed. We tried to change rooms but the hotel was full and reception told us that all their doubles are the same size so be warned. The bathroom is just adequate but again incredibly small. The shower was ancient and difficult to maintain a steady temperature so not ideal.

Room 5 is at the front of the hotel as so quite noisy and very warm when we visited, reception provided a fan which helped somewhat.

Breakfast was ok. Buffet with the usual hot dishes and some cheese and ham for a cold choice. Fresh fruit salad and cereal. The only bread available was sliced brown and white and the coffee was help yourself from a machine. Tea was brought to the table by friendly waitresses.

Parking is free which is useful but I would not stay in this property again I am afraid, the only positive was the parking.

Room Tip: Try something better than the standard room we had booked.
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed here 9th June for 1 night as we went to Paultons Park on Monday. The hotel was lovely and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We had 2 rooms, one at the front and one at the back of the hotel. The rooms were clean and beds were comfy. The room at the front of the hotel were a bit noisy as near the main road but was fine at night.

We had dinner at The Mitre which is approx. 5 minute walk, meal was lovely and reasonable price. When we returned to the hotel we sat in the lounge area.

Breakfast in the hotel was really nice, good choice and tasty. Restaurant staff were also very friendly.

We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is the second time we stayed in this hotel, previously a year ago I was not happy with my small poorly maintained room. This time the room was large enough, 2 TVs and a sofa. All looking good. Unfortunately sleeping was the issue. Firstly the heating was on and could not be turned off - this was the same in all the 3 rooms our group occupied. With a warm sunny day this made the room too hot - opening the windows meant one had to listen to the drunken revellers returning at 3 in the morning (avoid the road side). I was lucky (!), my room was facing the car park so I could leave the window open to cool the room without noisy revellers - but had noisy people underneath at 4 instead (odd this as I was on the second floor above the function rooms and restaurant). Then the fan started outside the window and that was that for sleep. I have posted some pictures below. Overall one can accept these annoyances but not at the price - currently advertised on there web site at ~£95 for a single. I suspect the proximity to the University has inflated the prices. Next time I will not be persuaded to return to this hotel and will look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid room 15 and those facing the road if you want to open the window.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We didn't arrive until midnight but we were politely dealt with which was pleasing. The room, even the whole hotel is rather dated, but clean and warm. Looking forward to a relaxing bath after a stressful day, BEWARE, the bath was tiny so ended up sitting with my legs bunched up - not ideal! Breakfast was as expected with a good range of options and the staff were very attentive.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We were given a room on the second floor and, in spite of the fact my partner is unable to bend her knee very much and walks with a stick, we were not able to change it. NO LIFTS and many awkward, narrow stairs to negotiate luggage up and down (35 in all!!) made getting in and out VERY troublesome!

The rooms, as almost everyone else has mentioned, are small but fairly well appointed and, most importantly, clean.

The breakfast was good and, overall, provided you can get a room on the ground floor I would recommend the hotel as there is plenty of parking and many good shops and eating places within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Stick to the ground floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple