“Creaky floors and paper thin walls!”

Highfield House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Plymouth, Devon
“Creaky floors and paper thin walls!”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed in two double rooms next door to each other on a Friday night prior to our cruise the next day. Our first big mistake was that we had heavy luggage and there is NO lift in the building! For that reason I would not recommend this place if you have lots of luggage. However, we didn't arrive until about 9pm and we were thankfully able to park in the car park which was free and this is a bonus for Southampton.

The rooms were quite small, but well appointed and clean. The bathroom was small and to open the window(it was a warm night) you had to stand on the toilet seat! The mira shower worked well although it took a while to get hot water from the basin, the free toiletries of shower gel and moisturising shampoo were nice and seemed of good quality. However, there just seemed to be noises all night especially with creaking floors from above and we really did not get much sleep. When we were in our bathroom we could hear our daughters in their room next door!

Next morning we had a really good breakfast, plenty of choice buffet of hot and cold, cereals, croissants etc and it made a change to have a place that makes the toast for you. It did seem well organised , clean and with plenty of seating.

We paid £64 per room so would consider this reasonable value . However, this place needs to upgrade some things and certainly make their reception area look a bit more inviting. I really don't expect to stay here again and the main reasons for this is the lack of lifts and poor sleep quality.

Room Tip: Ground floor if you have heavy luggage
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SueSage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed here the weekend of the 20th July with friends. The hotel is in a nice area with shops and local places to eat and all within walking distance. We found all the staff to be friendly and welcoming. The rooms are basic but clean and they have everything you need, I was quite surprised just how good the shower was. After a very disappointing breakfast at Jury's hotel the day before I was not expecting anything great, but Highfiled House put Jury's to shame. The buffet breakfast was by far the best any hotel of this size could offer, the hot breakfast was cooked well and there was a good selection of cereals fruits etc. The staff were plentiful and the tables were cleared quickly. We are returning to Southampton next month and have booked to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed here for 1 night for a graduation, when the rooms are more expensive. I was very well looked after here. I only stayed here once before in 2011 I like this hotel for its size not 4* but good for the money. Shame they charge more for graduation week. It was very hot but slept quite well. The hotel is situated great for the universty check in was slow but at least the room was ready early for me.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank sootysoo50
Chippenham, England
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Booked one double and two single rooms for an overnight stay for my son's graduation at the University. For almost £100 a room including breakfast I would have expected a little more. Hotel was well located for the University and had free parking.

We had rooms in what appeared to be the old wing and both were clean with fresh bedding and towels, good flat screen TV and free WiFi although decor was a little tired. Beds were fairly comfortable. Bathroom small but clean with shower (not very powerful but Ok) We also weren't particularly troubled by any noise despite the double room facing the road and the windows being open all night. Double room especially was quite small but for one nights stay it didn't really matter.
We thought Breakfast was excellent with a good choice. Would also recommend Cenos restaurant next door where we enjoyed the food and the atmosphere - also got 10% discount as hotel guests. The restaurant also has a nice outdoor decking area which was popular on the evening we were there.

As a few of the recent reviewers have pointed out the main problem was the heat. We had the misfortune to stay here in sunny weather and it is absolutely no exaggeration to say the rooms were stiflingly hot to the point of being unbearable. We did have a fan in the double room which helped a little but not in the singles. We were told that fans were like gold dust! The windows were opened as far as they would go - which I guess for safety reasons was not very far.
I understand that the hotel cannot control the weather but as a minimum (in the absence of aircon) a fan should be placed in every room- especially for the price we paid. Unfortunately none of us had a good nights sleep.
I would expect comfort for the price paid and despite this small hotel's plus points it didn't deliver.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bcfcfan
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We had a double room and a single room booked for an overnight stay. Unfortunately our double room had had curtains opened all day in the current heat wave. The heat from the room did not dissipate all day. Our children were in the room opposite in a twin, out of the sun and much cooler. When we suggested to the hotel staff that the rooms facing the sun all day should keep the curtains coldest during the day the staff offered us an alternative room which was very helpful. Unfortunately the room was too far away from my children (10 yrs & 13yrs ) for me to feel comfortable ; down a stairway across the hotel round a few bends... Up a stairway. The new room also smelt musty. So we suffered an oven.
The hotel was very dark and dated, although it was clean. However everything felt tired and worn. Breakfast was ok, but all felt cheap, and considering we were spending £85 ish per room I did not feel value for money.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Cupar, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed two nights and was given a room in the old building. Very hot weather and no air conditioning meant the room was very hot even with the window open. Asked for a fan and was told "they're all out'! Managed to find a small fan though it wasn't great. The first evening the lights fused so I had to move to another room, which had two windows so slightly more air circulating but noise from the traffic was loud. On the second night there was music blaring from a house opposite until late into the night. The reception desk said they had alerted the landlord but did not know the Council noise patrol number. Thankfully I had some ear plugs with me which helped. The bedroom and bathroom were quite small but did have all the facilities needed. I would think the rooms in the new wing may be be better and if you want quiet, ask for a room facing the car park. On the plus side, the rooms were spotless, so well done to the domestic staff. The breakfast buffet was good and the staff all friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the car park not the road. The new wing rooms may be better.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BernieD610
kent
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I stayed here for 1 night during a business trip, I had booked a single room - it was so small I could hardly believe it and it made me feel quite claustrophobic . There was an ironing station attached to the wall, however one of the fixtures was broken and this therefore was an accident waiting to happen for anyone using it. I stayed here earlier in the week, during the heatwave my room was up in the Eve's and it was stiflingly hot, a tiny fan had been put in the room but the position of the plug meant that I couldn't get it to blow any air towards the bed. I ended up sleeping upside down in the bed to get my head and body nearer to the fan which was still nearer to the window than me.
On a positive note, I found the breakfast buffet to be of a really good standard and really enjoyed this.
Would I stay again - I would probably look elsewhere, in fact I booked into a B&B the following night and did not bother to explore if this hotel had any vacancies.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business