“A good nights sleep”

Highfield House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 7 September 2013

They have a carpark which was very busy when I arrived at 6pm. They do not have their own evening meal offering but have a tie in with local restaurants and are happy for you to bring a take away back. Room was comfortable and clean, albeit a little rustic (could have done with a lick of paint). Usual problem, no plug sockets near the bed - when are hotels going to realise people use their phones as clocks and they need charging. Breakfast was buffet style which was OK - the bacon was rather tough and the selection limited. Would I stay here again? Yes I would. Good location for Southampton, the airport, the univerisity and the M27.

Room Tip: Ask for one to the back of the hotel when you book or you may end up on the busy main road.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed one night at the Highfield House to attend an event at the university - from which it is a very convenient few minutes walk. First impressions were definitely positive - a very friendly welcome at reception and check in dealt with quickly and efficiently. My room was a reasonable size - not large but not tiny either. Most importantly it was very clean and everything was in order. It was a hot day and thankfully someone had opened both windows to let some air in so the room temperature was ok although still pretty warm.There was plenty of tea/coffee/milk which was nice as so often hotels are stingy with the milk cartons. The TV was wall mounted and you did have to be careful going past it into the bathroom although I didn't have any real problem with it - they have freeview so a good selection of channels to watch. Breakfast was very good - plenty of seating and a good choice of hot and cold food and a machine to get your own cappuccino which I thought was a nice touch.
The only small criticism I have is that there was only 1 power point in the room to charge my laptop and that was on the desk by the kettle - there was no power point near the bed which is where I wanted to sit and use my laptop. Fortunately it was fully charged and has quite a long battery life but I'd have preferred to be able to run it plugged in since I was watching a film on it and it kept trying to power down. A minor issue however.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Highfield House and would stay there again without hesitation if I was in Southampton again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We recently stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. The rooms were spacious and clean with all necessary appointments. Located one block back from the High Street with restaurants, shops and supermarkets minutes away. Breakfast is served each morning buffet style. Free car parking is available along with free Wi Fi.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

First impressions were good in the reception and public areas. The bedroom looked good on entering.
The TV was fixed to the wall in a very precarious position, just the right height to catch your head when passing. Turned on the TV - no picture with 'No signal' message on screen. On closer inspection turns out the coax plug was in bits on top of the Ironing station. Went to have a shower, switched on the air extractor, It seems the bearing were going as it was very noisy and not doing what it was suppose to do. Went to sit down at the desk, chair was found to be wobbly and dangerous as it seems the whole chair was loose on it's joints and wound probably collapse sometime soon. Went to use the loo, found that the flush was not 100% effective, noticed bubbles coming up - my guess is there is probably a small blockage down there.
Went to sit on the bed and one of the Castor's broke off.
It had been a hot day and therefore I opened all the windows, however this was not very effective as there was no airflow. Later on that evening, having the windows opened obviously lets the noise from the outside in, therefore not only getting noise from Highfield Lane but also from Ceno's restaurant which was directly below the bedroom.The pros for this hotel was the staff were friendly and helpful. They tried to fix TV but this ended in failure as the picture was pixalating (Square Blocks of picture dropping), however the chair was changed for a more stable one - progress at last.
The Breakfast was of good choice and standard in good surroundings.

I thought that Housekeeper's employed in hotels were suppose to inspect rooms for these sort of problems before guests occupy the rooms, so that guests avoid these problems, but at the Highfield this does not seem to apply.
At least the ceiling stayed up.

The Highfield really needs to get it's act together as far as the bedrooms are concerned and try harder go give comfort and value for money for it's clientele and should also consider air conditioning.

Room Tip: If you are coming to stay I would suggest bringing your toolkit with you as you might need it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Taking a business trip to Southampton we booked into the Highfield House taken from the internet. We were greeted by a young lady who was charming and had a big smile. Making us feel welcome as soon as we walked in. (It made a change from the usual hotel chain that staff seem to be there for no other reason but to check you in.) The welcome was personal and warming. The room was what we expected, probably larger than normal for the price we paid and was clean and fresh. During the evening we left the hotel and we were spoken to with a smile and asked if we needed any assistance in locating any place. The following morning we went down for breakfast around 8:30am. I am not a fan of buffet breakfast but this one was the hottest buffet breakfast I have ever had and it wasn't dried up everything was fresh (well as fresh as it can be on a buffet) I will most certainly use the hotel again it also had adequate parking.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed for one night and would most certainly recommend this hotel, It had a welcoming reception area, the room was very clean and comfortable, the staff were friendly and the buffet breakfast was excellent! If we were ever in the area again we would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

As in my title, u pay for what u get! We had a room on the front and got all the traffic noise, and from the bar below where everyone was sitting outside drinking! The floors and ceilings are so old that we heard people walking about and the floors creaking above us until they finally decided to settle! Everyrthing else was fine and the reception staff were very friendly

• Stayed: August 2013