“Highfield Southampton”

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Highfield Southampton”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We chose this hotel simply because it was the closest accommodation we could find to the friends we were visiting. It served a purpose, but wasn't special in any way. The price was high considering this.There was , however, a reasonable full breakfast included in the price, and the breakfast room staff were efficient, clearing tables and replenishing the buffet constantly. The room we had was exactly like thousands of other boring hotel rooms and I have stayed in better, paying two thirds the price, and in city centres. I'm sure it would be a very useful hotel if you were visiting a University student in the area, and we didn't have any trouble fitting the car into the car park. I thought it unusual that we paid for our stay when we checked-IN rather than when we checked-OUT, which in my experience is the norm. The room was clean and had the usual tea/coffee things but for me, the pillows were very flat and I didn't like the fact that when we arrived, the beds were arranged with the chair cushions placed on top of the pillows. Sorry, but I want to know that my pillows are pristine. I don't want them tainted by cushions that, by their very nature are sat upon/against or thrown on the floor, time and again, by countless room guests. All in all, an OK hotel, certainly, but I paid, at the end of September, £135 per night ( 2 people, twin room ) and I know I can stay in a London hotel, with reasonably fluffy pillows (!) and far more facilities, for under £100 per night.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the car park at the back and was quiet, but I don't think it is a noisy area...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Norwich
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

We were made to feel very welcome right from the start. The hotel is well placed and parking was easy. The buffet breakfast was fantastic and the room spacious. Exceptionally good value and we loved our stay (3 nights). The service was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the highfield house. We were allocated a room on the first floor. On first inspection the room looked clean. It had what looked like a 4' bed and a single so we decided to put the two beds together only to find a pair of some bodies dirty underwear. The bathroom was clean although the toilet you had to sit at an angle as it was so close to the wall. We overlooked the main road and a restaurant next door so you couldn't have the window open due to the noise. As it was hot, there was no air conditioning or ceiling fan so no sleep much all weekend. Breakfast was ok but you had to order toast. My husband ordered his then got his cooked breakfast thinking his toast would be ready. Wrong. He had almost finished it before toast arrived after we asked where it had got to. The girl forgot it.
Not one I would recommend
The pub across the road was good for food though. The mitre had friendly staff and quick service.

• Stayed August 2013
england
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I was so surprised at the standard of this hotel. It was nearly on the standard of 4 star hotels I had stayed in. In fact if tissues were provided in the bathroom and a fridge it would be there ! It was clean and quiet. The breakfast was excellent so much provided if you wanted it and the staff were lovely. I will most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

bathroom sink did not empty told the man on reception said he would take a look said he filled 3 times and it empted I had already done this. it does empty but very slowly. GET A PLUMBER TO CHECK IT. so it was not fixed water took a age to get Lukewarm and the shower was very weak.breakfast ok but why have 6 staff when its self service they just hang around talking and the food is drying up.cook to order would be better.
My friend had a similar problem the catch on is window was broken and the tv a nightmare 2 remotes why. get it fixed.
It seems to lack a good manager to check every room and restaurant and fix the problems.
We stay in Southampton on a regular basis but will not use this hotel again due to the problems outlined and the prices charged.this hotel should be down graded to a 2 star not 3 star

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
crewe
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed here overnight as we were joining a cruise ship the next day and considering we only booked about 3 weeks before we were pleasantly surprised to get bed and breakfast with parking overnight for our car for £69. Our search for a hotel showed far more expensive places, some didn`t even include breakfast so we wondered what the catch was, however we needn`t have worried as the hotel was lovely, the room clean and spacious and the hospitality tray included 2 sachets of gorgeous hot chocolate.
The location was quite good as it was in a reasonably quiet area but only a few yards away from a street that had a good selection of local and charity shops. There was a large branch of Sainsburys close by and a pub that served very good food at reasonable prices.
The bathroom was clean with a shower over the bath and a tray containing shampoo, shower gel, etc, and plenty of shelf space. Television had several channels and was a neat flat screen, very modern.
Breakfast the next morning consisted of everything anyone could wish for and plenty of it as you just helped yourself. My vegetarian sausages were cooked to order and tasted delicious. There was a toast machine and a helpful member of staff on hand who brought the toast to my table when it was cooked so I did not have to stand waiting for it.
In fact all the staff were very friendly and helpful and there was always somebody nearby if you needed anything. We would definitely put this hotel at the top of our list when staying in Southampton again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jmtigercrewe
Reviewed 7 September 2013

They have a carpark which was very busy when I arrived at 6pm. They do not have their own evening meal offering but have a tie in with local restaurants and are happy for you to bring a take away back. Room was comfortable and clean, albeit a little rustic (could have done with a lick of paint). Usual problem, no plug sockets near the bed - when are hotels going to realise people use their phones as clocks and they need charging. Breakfast was buffet style which was OK - the bacon was rather tough and the selection limited. Would I stay here again? Yes I would. Good location for Southampton, the airport, the univerisity and the M27.

Room Tip: Ask for one to the back of the hotel when you book or you may end up on the busy main road.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business