“excellent service, good value for price paid, location perfect for us”

Highfield House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 23 August 2010

we stayed at highfield for one night and had booked two double rooms and a twin. was not sure what to expect before arrival as some reviews were good and others not. the hotel gives execellent service through reception, catering staff and cleaners. (thankyou to the cleaner who remembered us and returned a sweasthirt to my daughter a few hours after we had vacated our room). any request we made at the hotel was met with a smile and no problem. the cooked breakfast was very nice, you could choose a cooked /continental breakfast, cereals.toast, only one negative, perhaps the continental choice could be extended a little. our rooms were clean and comfortable, the power shower in our room was a nice welcome after our long journey on saturday. there was adequate tea and coffee in our room and if we needed more no problem, the staff were even prepared to make our daughter hot chocolate in the late evening.only one more negative, which i have deliberated over posting as our stay at the hotel was such a good one, there is an odour in the reception and corridors of the hotel which smells like damp, can,t quite put my finger on it but having said that it,s not enough to put us off staying again at highfiled if we visit southampton again.
so on the whole we definitley would recommend highfield house hotel and our stay was a pleasant one.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 August 2010

I stayed at the Highfield Hotel for two nights in early August 2010 on a bed-and-breakfast basis. I chose this hotel as it was about a 10-minute walk from a building site where I was doing voluntary work. I booked my stay via the hotel's own website, which takes you to a separate booking company. The good thing about the website is that it immediately shows room availability. I booked a single room.

Checking-in was quick; the Reception staff friendly. My email confirmation from the booking company said that I could pay the balance on departure, but I was told at Reception that it was "usual" to pay at the start of the stay.

I was in a single room on the first floor. There is no lift. I found my electronic key card to be very temperamental. It would take several attempts of my inserting and removing it before my door would open. Finally, on my last morning I worked out the trick - turn the handle down and push the closed door forward, then insert and remove the key card, and the green "door oen" light immediately comes on.

My single room was small, but not too small for one, and reasonably attractive. There was an iron and combined ironing board/trouser press, and safe, and tea/coffee facilities. There was no wardrobe but hanging space, but with only three hangers, which were too few for my liking. The TV had only four channels (no Five) and the hotel should think about introducing Freeview. The room and bathroom looked tired in places, as did the communal staircase. The hand-basin's cold tap did not work at all, but it was not a real problem as the hot tap worked. The good thing about the room was that it was clean and well-serviced. The worse thing was the traffic noise from the busy road and an annoying creaking ceiling from the guest room above.

Uudoubtedly the best thing was breakfast, which is served in a bright, airy, spacious and attractive large room. The self-service includes tea/coffee, fried eggs, sausages, bacon, toast, croissants, cereals, juices, fruit salad, yoghurts, cheese and ham. The cutlery, crockery and glasses were spotlessly clean and the staff were prompt in replenishing stocks and in clearing away.

Check-out was like check-in, quick and painless.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I was tempted not to write this review as this hotel is a gem of a place and was tempted to keep it to myself. Visited with my wife, 2 teenage daughters and my parents who are in their 70s, we all agreed we'd come back here when we revisit Southampton. Decor is a tad dated but it's clean and comfortable, decent quality linen and an excellent choice for breakfast. One extra tip, book this place through Superbreaks and you'll save a few extra quid.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Highfield House is located on a busy street, close to many pubs, shopping, and the Southampton central station in only 5mins by taxi. Rooms are spartan, but clean enough for adult business travellers. Family rooms hopefully will be better endowed. Breakfast spread is decent, and it is noteworthy that they are happy to provide "veggi sausages" if you are a vegetarian. Free Wi-Fi was one of the major attractions for me (which is a rarity in many English hotels). People at the desk are very friendly, and this made up the shortcomings (small bed, smaller room with TV within 6 feet from your face!). An elevator will definitely help, especially for the elderly. The hotel should better get one in at the earliest, if it wants to attract elderly tourists with weak knees.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We stayed here 2 nights. Our room wasn't set up for two people but was soon remedied by helpful reception staff providing extra pillow cases, cups etc.
Breakfast was more than adequate, though not the most exciting options!
The only real downside was that walls were ridiculously thin. Not too much of a problem as we had fairly considerate neighbours, but equally we could hear every conversation from every direction!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Although the foyer smells of stale cigarettes and the whole place could do with a make-over (the carpets in the communal areas are grubby and held down with gaffer tape in some places), I would recommend this hotel. My room was clean, quiet and had all I needed, and the breakfast was really excellent, with good attention to quality of food.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank pobbbyli
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I have stayed at this hotel every time I have visited Southampton. The rooms are clean and nicely refurbished. The staff are always ready with a warm welcome and smile, and the breakfast is of a high quality. I have met the management team and it is clear that they are the reason the staff are so attentive as there is nothing that is too much trouble. Forget the others....give this hotel a try. You will not be disappointed!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple