“Not a change for the better!”

Tosca's Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #518 of 890 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tosca's certainly takes advantage of its setting near The Mayflower Theatre in Southampton, treating pre and post-show diners to a wonderful menu with theatrical flair. This is the place for a gorgeous array of pizza, pasta, steak and seafood dishes, whether seeing a show, enjoying a delicious meal out or simply looking to enjoy a drink in the wine bar. A part of The Italian Dining Group.
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I used to love coming to this restaurant, and looked forward to the delicious,authentic Italian food and the excellent service. However, since the revamp, the ambience has dramatically changed. It now feels more like a motorway cafe than a restaurant. Although the food is tasty, some of it is lukewarm. The service is still warm and friendly, but that does not compensate for the lower standard of dining. I would say to the owner,'PLEASE change back again. You had a lovely restaurant but you've spoiled it!' I won't be coming back if it remains self-service.

2  Thank Mrscrusty

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We loved the revamped Italian restaurant. The greeting was warm and welcoming and the buffet style dining suited us precisely. We could help ourselves from a great range of starters, just enough for us and as mixed as we liked.

The main course was Italian based with a good selection of favourites.

The fun started when the charming smiley staff offered each table a slice of something from the rotisserie. There was a succession of sausages, pizza, pork (really delicious, with its parmesan coating), drumsticks and I remember the beautiful cinnamon coated hot pineapple. These come round on a never ending circuit until you surrender and put your coaster to "red". There were other things on offer but too many for me to try.

A lovely atmosphere with good food and no constraints on the portions or choices, in my case small portions of lots of different tasty bits. To finish all I could manage was Excellent coffee and wine was the best. It is the staff and the manager that make the whole event special, entertaining and completely stress free. I hope they open one in Bournemouth soon! I loved it!

2  Thank everesttall
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Went here not knowing it had changed to buffet style. Was concerned that food quality would be poor. However, loved the choice of cold/salad and mix it with pasta classics such carbonara. It was great then to be offered food on a scuwer at the table - chicken, sausage, gammon, pizza. Eat as much as you like. I only had one serving and was stuffed.
I guess the change was made to get the theatre goers in and out as quick as possible, plus offer a cheaper deal. Will miss the old Tosca but this still makes an excellent choice.
NB I wasn't allowed to use the vouchercloud deal for Tosca despite it still being available on the internet, but still great value despite it.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My granddaughter and I had tickets for the matinee and evening performances at the Mayflower Theatre, and need to eat between shows, we discovered a distinct lack of eating places in the near vicinity, so opted for this one as being more or less the closest. I have to say we were greeted very cordially, and shown to our table. It was explained that we could help ourselves to the hot and cold buffet as many times as we liked, and that pizzas and meats would be brought to our table. My granddaughter pointed out that it seemed quite expensive, but as I said there was little other choice. I was ok with the salads on offer, but my granddaughter had a spaghetti dish which wasn't hot (and should have been). Eventually someone did appear with some pizza, which was 2 slices of garlic bread, one slice of ham/pineapple pizza and one slice of cheese pizza, and that was that, so we settled for a slice of pizza each. after a while I did manage to attract a waiter's attention, and was able to have another slice of pizza, but we saw absolutely nothing of any other meats etc. And also it was just so noisy, I don't mind background music, but the music here was so loud you could hardly hear yourself speak. For £14.99 each, and for what we had, this is a real scam, and we would certainly not go back if in Southampton again. I would possible look to book the restaurant at the Mayflower, which was, unfortunately, fully booked this time.

1  Thank NanWatford
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Second time at the restaurant and both times the lunch time eat all you can buffet was excellent.
As well as the buffet they bring round fresh pizza and various types of chicken.
well worth the money