“Well worth finding in a dockland backstreet”
Review of Solent Sky Museum

Solent Sky Museum
Ranked #1 of 132 things to do in Southampton
More attraction details
Owner description: Solent Sky Museum showcases the history of aviation in Southampton - Spitfire City - and the surrounding Solent area.Geographically this was the most important area in the country, perhaps the world, for aircraft experimental and development work between 1908 and the late 1960s. 26 aircraft companies set up shop in the area, and many of the world’s greatest aircraft, including the legendary Spitfire, first took to the air in the skies over Southampton.We have 18 complete airframes, including a Supermarine Spitfire and Supermarine S6a (N248), and also 4 cockpit sections. We also have a comprehensive collection of aero-engines.Our mighty Sandringham Flying Boat was originally built as a Short Sunderland in 1943, and converted to a passenger aircraft after the war. Visitors are welcome to board the aircraft to sample the luxury of air travel in the romantic era of the great flying boats, and guided tours of the flight deck are also available.Kids (and big kids) can also imagine what it would be like to fly a jet fighter while sat in the cockpits of our Supermarine Swift and Harrier Jump Jet. Our new Schneider Trophy Exhibition is now open, with its record-breaking centrepiece the S6a. Video stock footage of these legendary races and artefacts from the time illustrate the drama and romance of the fastest race in history.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've been here several times, albeit not for a couple of years. Good displays including a Flying Boat you can see inside.

There are newer reviews for Solent Sky Museum

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I found the tour guides (all of whom were working there voluntarily) very friendly and informative. The guides did well to tailor the information to their audience; me being an Aerospace Engineering student and my girlfriend a recent History and Archaeology graduate. The amount of "hands-on" exhibits was impressive; we were even given access to the flight deck of the massive Short Sandringham Beachcomber, which was quite special!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I visited the museum about a month ago with my boyfriend. As he isn't from the area I thought it would be something interesting to go and see for him. I remember coming here when I was younger and seeing the flying boat. Unfortunately the museum is in need of updating maybe some interactive screens or short clips to show the planes in action etc. However I think this is due to funding and it's a shame that they don't receive more to help make this a great attraction that is on the same level as the other museums in Southampton because it is well worth it!
Aside from this, it's a really nice place to go and find out about our local history and see some cool planes!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

we had a great day out here and found the staff all very helpful and polite,
there are loads of exhibits to see and explore and was great to see the local history
we will be returning very soon

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I visited here with my 5 children aged between 18 and 7 and my mother. We spent over 2 amazing hours looking at the exhibits,reading the information/history, taking it in turns to 'fly', sitting in the flying boat, colouring, and talking to the friendly and knowledgable staff. Nothing was too much trouble and finding one venue that amuses and interests 5 children of such different ages and personalities is almost impossible! The Solent Sky Museum did it. Cannot recommend highly enough. (An added bonus for my eldest - studying engineering at uni - was the free adult ticket received - due to the entrance fee costs for 7.)