“A wonderful tribute”

Titanic Engineer Officers Memorial
Ranked #26 of 129 things to do in Southampton
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I've been here a few times now since I moved to Southampton. It's a wonderfully designed tribute, and a lasting memory to not only the engineers of the titanic but also to everyone that the city lost on the voyage. Well worth a visit to pay your respects.

1  Thank kate h

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My great uncle "Frank Carter" was a "trimmer" on the fated voyage and I visited all the Titanic memorials as a child on school trips some 40/45 yrs ago.
Now living in Plymouth I now work as an engineer myself in the royal naval dockyard and plan to visit Belfast soon to see there memorials there.
I just stumbled across these reviews and I'm pleased to hear the Memorial has been kept up together.
As a child our family didn't talk about the tragedy ( it was too painful for my nan) so it's only been recent times that I have caught up with a lot of the details.
I have to work in Southampton next week I might just take a wonder in the park and see it again now I understand more.
When visiting town with my mum and Nan I was too young and believed I was visiting the Avery, after all these years I realize now whilst I looked at the little birds the real purpose of the bus trip to town. Stuart

3  Thank Stuart G
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have always loved this memorial. It is such a landmark of Southampton and situated in front of a Victorian tropical rockery that I played in as a child.
Although it is primarily a memorial to the engineers on The Titanic, to me it represents the spirit of local people in Southampton. For centuries we have worked on ships and so many of our people have gone down with them. We are a community that hardly ever sees the sea unless we are working on it, yet we are brave enough to sacrifice ourselves to it.

4  Thank Jane C
Reviewed 7 June 2014

well sculptured memorial set in the parks in Southampton close to the civic centre and opposite cenitath work a visit if in the city

1  Thank SouthamptonUKAndy22
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Worth including in any Titanic tour of the city. Its an impressive memorial, with an angel standing guard over two of the engineers. Most, if not all of these drowned in the disaster
Its at the edge of East Park near the Sea City museum and the much smaller musicians memorial. Clearly visible from the road it is almost opposite another sad memorial to the dead of two world wars.

2  Thank terrier871