“Great service, good location.”

Premier Inn Southampton West Quay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed with my girlfriend for 2 nights for a weekend break having been recommended to go to Southampton. We arrived and had to park in the multi-story car park, which the web site states is £5 a night, it isn't. Check-in was straight forward, guided by the reception staff who are happy to help and explain everything you need to know.

The room was nice, about what you'd expect from a large chain like Premier Inn, with the rooms cleaned daily. We didn't choose to eat in the restaurant but it did look quite nice!

Having arrived on a Friday at just after 4pm, and checking out sometime Sunday morning the multi-story car park (having left the car in there throughout) cost £13. But make sure you get them to authorise your car park ticket other wise you'll get charged a lot more apparently! (The receptionist did this for me)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Southampton West Quay Hotel

Reviewed 16 November 2011

I stayed here a couple of nights on business.

Arriving by car was tricky. I had no problem finding the hotel, but better directions to the drop-off point would have helped me avoid going around several roundabouts several times. When I found the multi-storey car park adjacent to the hotel, where you are recommended to park overnight, I found it really difficult to find my way back out to the hotel. Some signage would be very helpful. Can't this be negotiated with the car park given that the hotel is giving them business?

I liked the self-service check-in desks at the hotel lobby. It worked without any problems just by punching in my surname and post code. I could have swiped the card I'd used to pay for the room in advance and there was one other way of retrieving my details which I've forgotten.

The room was very clean and a reasonable size. I was pleasantly surprised to see wifi available for only £3 per 24 hours. Much better than the extortionate amount many other hotels charge in the area - but I still think it should be complimentary as standard.

I had a great night's sleep both nights. The bed was very comfortable, decent pillows, average quality linen but more than good enough. I was in room 230, near the very end of the corridor on the second floor. I heard no noise at all from the corridor, which was such a relief. No slamming doors, screaming children running up and down or drunks singing at the tops of their voices. Hoorah!

I had paid for the meal deal in advance. This meant pre-paid dinner and breakfast. For dinner you get a shortened version of the main menu. I don't eat meat or poultry and there were only a few dishes that I was able to eat - two starters, three mains. That's quite poor I think.

The restaurant was very busy, and staff seemed run off their feet. Despite having booked a table in advance, I was made to wait a few minutes for my table, however I was acknowledged and profuse apologies were given, which was appreciated.

The woman who seemed in charge of the team was great - uber friendly and checking several times that things were okay. The standard of the food was just okay - the ingredients seemed frozen rather than fresh. The white wine was vile - very sweet and barely chilled. Service was quite slow - around 1 hour and 20 minutes from start to finish, just one person at the table.

Breakfast was probably below what I would say are minimum standards. Fried eggs under a hot light that had been sitting for a while and had lost any chance of the yolk being runny, a tray of baked beans that had formed a skin, tinned tomatoes put into a big tray and heated. Not very appetising to me.... Various cereals were available, fresh fruit, yoghurt, bread/toast/croissants with preserve etc. The coffee was fresh, the fruit juice seemed made from concentrate. It was help yourself buffet style and eat as much as you want.

The local radio station was blaring over the speakers in the ceiling which grated slightly.

Other than the waiting staff in the restaurant, who were all excellent despite being really busy, I had little contact with any of the team, though did get good directions from one of the people on the front desk about where to find a local shop after 2100.

Despite my gripes about this place, and it's lack of soul, I'll likely stay here again due to the good nights sleep on both nights. Value for money was fair, but verging on pricey. I won't get the meal deal if I stay again in future - there are other places in the area where you can get much better food for the same price or possible less.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We recently stayed at the Premier Inn prior to catching our trans-Atlantic cruise. The location was perfectly situated close to the docks, and their restaurant was such an easy spot to get breakfast in the morning. The location was also a close walk to a variety of other restaurants (which we took advantage of) in town like Rasraj. We used the hotel as a base to tour Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge (just a short drive away) prior to the cruise. Most importantly the service was amazing - more expensive hotels should take note!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CJR415
Reviewed 13 November 2011

The Premier is uninspiring from the outside and I was a little skeptical. The room was spotless and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Parking is a bit of a pain as it is unloading only at the back of the hotel and parking is in the nearby cascades. I had a good overnight stay there and the staff team are some of the best I have ever come across.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2011

My wife and I have just stayed at this premier in for 5 nights(4th to 9th November), and we could not have wished for a better Hotel, Rooms were spotless, Great location, and the Staff were especially helpful, A special Thank you to "Fay" on reception for your help and Advice.
Premier Inn have done it again, Brilliant Hotel,Brilliant Location.
We will be back in December, can't wait !!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve-IOW
Reviewed 8 November 2011

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in late August before sailing on a cruise out of Southampton.
The hotel only opened earlier this year so it was still very clean and neat and had plenty of storage space in the room. All the staff that we met, at check in and at the restaurant were all very helpful and friendly. My only complaint - we paid for our room upon check in and refused breakfast, not realizing that if we did not pay for it then, it was a cash only service in the dining room - we couldn't charge to our room so did need more cash but ATM came to our rescue.

It is in an ideal location with easy access to downtown and the Mall and also to the ferry area when you can go to Isle of Wight or Hythe. We also walked back to the train station so we could go to Portsmouth.

If we are in Southampton again - which I hope we will be - then we will definitely check out this Premier Inn and stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights 4th to 6th of November group of 8 of us .Could not fault this hotel at all. All the staff were great special mention to Alice on reception who has to be the most helpful person you will ever meet. She gave us some great ideas for places to visit and where to eat and sorted out taxis for us. Hotel location is amazing so close to the shops for the girls in the group, Not far enough for the boys in the group though. Had breakfast in the hotel on Sunday morning and was looked after by Amanda who was so kind and welcoming .We all had a fab stay and are looking forward to returning soon . The staff,Service,rooms and food were 1st class Well done Premier inn West Quay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends