“Functional, cheap, clean but numerous niggles”

Premier Inn Southampton West Quay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Cheshire,UK
“Functional, cheap, clean but numerous niggles”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My recent stay here was based on 2 factors...1. rated as No 1 TA hotel in Southampton, and 2. previous experience of Premier Inns....oh and 3.it was cheapish for the location.
This hotel is quite well located in an area of significant business and leisure development, there is a large John Lewis and Marks & Spencer across the road and short walk to a shopping mall development. We stayed here due to its proximity to the IoW ferry port...literally a stones throw away. Hence the hotel is new, modern, and still seems quite fresh.
The reception staff were helpful and talked us through the checkin process on the ATM-style kiosks that produced invoices and room keys.
The room was a good size but i had booked a twin and in fact was given a double but with a small put-you-up style bed made up as a single bed (NIGGLE 1), luckily my son didn't mind sleeping low down on the sofa bed so i had the double. We decided to watch the rugby on the TV but (NIGGLE 2) no BBC channels were available, i checked with reception staff and this was blamed on a recent change to digital TV in the area....mmm, not very convincing explanation frankly since the game was being shown on a TV in the bar area.
NIGGLE 3...the bedroom curtain was so thin and poorly fitting that in the morning sun was streaming into the room very early...take some eye shades.
Bathroom was ok, just a shower gell dispenser, no bars of soap.
Parking (NIGGLE 4) was a large multi-storey next door although there were a few "drop-off" spaces at the back of the hotel but despite being informed by reception that these spaces were monitored they clearly were not as i saw cars arriving there as we were arriving and they were still there the next morning thus avoiding the £5 overnight charge. Be aware that the multi-storey closes at 10:30pm so make sure you don't need to use your car after this time.
Wireless Internet was available, first 30 mins were free then a charge of £3 for 24 hrs.
We didn't eat in the hotel (we walked up the road to TGIF) but the menu seemed quite good and various pricing offers made it attractive to eat 2 or 3 courses and possibly breakfast the next day.
Would i stay here again....probably, its a good location and frankly its currently hard to beat the price points for the quality.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the back, you won't get so much road noise and the early morning sun streamin...
2 Thank Zoom6562

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I recently spent a two night stay at this hotel. Absolutely fabulous. Very comfortable room, breakfast was excelllent value for money as was the evening meal. First time I have stayed at a Premier Inn but it will not be the last.

1 Thank Julie R
Isle of Man
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel on Friday and Saturday nights - the room cost on Friday night was a great £39 and the Saturday night was higher at £62, but at £101 for two nights, room only, good value for money.
The hotel is quite new so all of the hotel seems fresh, modern and clean. We did not eat in the hotel but relatives who we were with did eat there and said the food was fine.
The rooms are standard Premier Inn rooms and as already mentioned, lovely and new and clean. King-size bed was very comfy, with plenty of pillows, towels, etc. Tea/coffee making facilities are provided, but no bathroom toiletries nor iron/ironing board (which would have been handy for us as we had flown down for a family wedding and some of our wedding clothes got creased during the journey, but not a big problem).
Check-in/reception staff were very friendly and happy to help us with the automated check-in system.
The hotel is very convenient for shopping with West Quay shops only a couple of minutes walk away.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the building are noisier than those at the back due to the hotel being on a bu...
1 Thank Jandyson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Arrived at the hotel to find there is a multi storey carpark next door. on entering the reception the staff were friendly and helped me through the express checkin. At that point I was asked would you like your parking "Validated" which I confirmed. Rooms were standard premier inn, functional and even thing you need. Bad points. Long black hair in the bath and the shower pressure was poor. had a meal deal which was good value and the food was to a good standard. on checking out I made the staff aware of the issues in the bathroom, to which I got an empty sorry about that. But the worst part was leaving the car park to be told by the machine that I owed £5. Went back to the hotel to say that my parking ticket had not been validated. again processed my ticket. went back again at the barrier the machine said I owed £5!! I called the help button to be told that premier inn do not validate your parking only reduce it!!!. Allot of hassle. just tell customers that we reduce your parking not "VALIDATE IT" .

• Stayed March 2012
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Since I discovered Premier Inn late in 2011 I have stayed at three different locations, some of them more than once. The positive and professional attitude of all staff shines through to make each stay a pleasant experience. Some more expensive hotels could take lessons from Premier Inn staff motivation. All locations have been spotlessly clean with nice rooms and bathrooms - a cut above the plastic, shoe box size rooms provided by some of the competition at this price level. The restaurants are light and cheerful. The food is good value for money, especially the breakfast deal. I will continue to use Premier Inn where they are available and they keep to their present price structure. The free stay after three paid stays is a further incentive.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Wales
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed here on 23rd Feb 2012 prior to going on a cruise.

The hotel is very close to the Port with parking in the multi storey opposite for £5 for 24 hours. Nice, new hotel, with normal excellent rooms. Bar very small but had everything we wanted. Restaurant average size but staff managed bookings very well and kept the whole process moving well. Hotel was full on this night, but no real delays. As usual, breakfast was excellent with lots of choice.

Would recommend, particularly pre cruise.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

This was my first stay in a Premier Inn for a while and I was unsure of what to expect. You always need to balance a good value stay with the level of expectation. This hotel far exceeded my expectations. From my first interaction I found all of the staff to be pleasant and helpful. The entire hotel was spotlessly clean and very well maintained.
Simon on the reception when I arrived was excellent and very efficient. I particularly liked that the lifts were monitored by a room key, I had high hopes that would keep noise to a minimum late at night and I was right. The room was very well appointed and again spotless. There was a nice sofa as well as the double bed. Plenty of room to relax and put luggage etc. The bathroom had a very powerful shower and a nice big mirror and sink space.
The hotel is very new (within a year of opening) so I don't know how it would compare in terms of standards to an older Premier Inn but I would be happy to try a different hotel based on the standards at West Quay.
I was in Southampton on a shopping trip as I live outside of the UK so didn't have friends with me. I was going to venture out for dinner but after a long day, decided to eat in the restaurant attached to the hotel. Again I was very surprised by the quality of the food and the waitress, Amy, was again very pleasant and couldn't do enough to help. I had steak which was a little tough but other than that the meal was very good. There was a Meal Deal 2 courses for £12.50 which I thought was very good value.

Room Tip: One at the back would probably be quieter as it doesn't overlook the road.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo