“Fantastic location for shopping”

Premier Inn Southampton West Quay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was our first stay in a Premier Inn (and it won't be our last). We came to Southampton for a shopping trip and chose this hotel purely because of its location to West Quay. We were able to check in when we arrived at 9am as our room was ready. Our room was quiet (on the 5th floor), very clean and comfortable and had everything we needed for a short stay. All of the staff were friendly, polite and very helpful. We will definitely be recommending this hotel to anyone we know who will be visiting Southampton.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Corbiere7

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

I gave a poor rating for our October stay as I was shocked to discover the room phones had been taken out!

But the company has apparently listened to its customers and they are due to be replaced, (with so many older cruise overnighters, surely an essential).

Whilst there are some niggles (see below), for what this hotel is providing, and compared to the dire standard of so many other hotels (often expensive), I am happy to 5* providing phones make a reappearance soon.

GOOD
1. Exceptional friendly happy helpful professional staff. The team here really are wonderfuI and should be complimented. There is no proper reception, but one or two of them are in the hall to help (you
may have to wait a couple of minutes, but I think there is also a self check in).

I arrived early on crutches, and asked to check the bed was high enough. The enthusiastic delightful Hungarian housekeeper was called and came within seconds, showed me the (disabled) room and without my asking immediately offered to get bed raisers on. 10/10!

2. The beds are usually modern, and super comfortable. They do need to keep a check on mattress springs - I did sleep well, but felt a tiny hint of a lump (had a nasty bumpy bed in Bournemouth a couple of years ago!)

3. Everywhere looks clean and well maintained. The downstairs ladies' could have been in a 'top hotel' - well almost - very impressed. Bathroom bright, basic but modernish. Hair dryer in room.

4. I do enjoy 'luxury', but this Premier Inn is more than acceptable for business. en-route holidaymakers etc. And probably the best location as opposite a fabulous newish shopping mall (John Lewis, Apple Shop, M&S, big selection of fast food restaurants and large John Lewis cafe). You can walk to the station in 5/10 minutes, or pick up a bus if you walk through the mall.

5. Can't face a full breakfast, but you can have a push button Costa 'cappuccino to go' (staff always seem have to locate the paper containers).

BAD

1. Wi-fi: Not happy with paying for Wi-Fi, and reception not brilliant anyway. Should be offered free. This is the number one traveller requirement I believe nowadays, and so many hotels do offer free Wi-fi now.

1. Food: I couldn't face eating in the restaurant, which although busy and nicely furnished, has the sort of menu which really does't appeal (chain pub style..burgers, chicken wings and chips. The vegetarian is something like Veggie burger or Caesar's salad, which they can keep!.

But if you are happy to eat before the wonderful modern shopping mall opposite closes, then Wagamama has a an excellent choice of lighter 'Japanese' food, if that appeals to you. And there are loads of other places.

3. Phones: Watch this space!

4. Wake up call: This is the second visit where my very early wake up call hasn't materialised, lucky had alarm set as a back up. Presumably not helped by the lack of phones as staff have to trawl round the floors and knock on doors?

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bird3
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a night at the end of a cruise. It is very close to the cruise terminal and perfect for a pre or post cruise stopover. Very near the shopping area. The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. The only downside was the poor wifi. I paid the £3 for 24 hours wifi but despite the fact we were on the first floor I could not log on in our room. I met another person wandering the corridor trying to get a signal. Eventually I had to sit in the stair well to get a connection! This would not put me off staying there again but next time I won't bother paying £3 for a service I could hardly use.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I recently stayed in the West Quay Premier Inn on a visit to England to visit family and to go to a reunion. I picked this particular Premier Inn because of it's location which was excellent. It is very close to the docks if you are joining a cruise ship, less than a 2 minutes walk to the shopping centre if you are on a shopping trip and less than 10 minutes to the town centre.

The bed was the most comfortable bed I have every slept in away from home. In fact I think I would go so far as to say that it was even MORE comfortable than my own bed (which I love!)

The food in the restaurant was very good and the cooked breakfast nice and hot. The "Meal Deal", which included a 3 course dinner, a glass of wine and full cooked breakfast the next day, for £22.99 was excellent value.

The staff were efficient, friendly and professional and on several occasions exceeded my expectations from staff working in a hotel in this price bracket. I witnessed one receptionist dealing extremely well with a particularly obnoxious potential customer on Saturday night. She remained calm and professional throughout the whole encounter, despite being harassed by this man and his co-travellers.

I got my stay through one of Premier Inns online deals so paid £39 for Friday night and £45 for Saturday night. I have never been disappointed with a stay at a Premier Inn as I have always got similar deals. However in the past I have felt that I was only happy with my stay because it was so cheap. I think the full rate for this Saturday was £76 and even at that rate I would have been completely delighted with my stay.

The one downside to this hotel is that the parking is in the adjacent multi-storey car park and costs £5. All the other Premier Inns I have stayed in have offered free parking.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed 1 night in a family room 3rd floor everything great. Parking only £5 for 24hrs. Breakfast we'll worth the money. Great nights sleep. Restaurant bar area quite busy in evening but still managed to accommodate everyone and not long to wait at all.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Booked this hotel via Premier Inns website for 1nt pre-cruise, booking was easy, price was good and no problems, booked 4 rooms initially then 1 more at a higher price. Arrived at hotel around 7-30pm check in was easy and well organised via self check in machines and we were in our rooms by 7-40pm.
Room was clean well laid out, bedding clean and felt good quality, bed was very comfortable and pillow choice made for a good nights sleep. Kettle was provided in room as were tea and coffee +milk cartons.
we had pre-booked a table for 10 for the restaurant and we were all seated by 8-15pm with a good menue and good service, meal took a little time to be served but the restaurant was busy, most meals were served hot but 2 where served cold but were quickly replaced with hot meals and the 2 guests were not charged which is great service. Drinks were reasonably priced and both the meal servers and drinks server were efficient and pleasant.
After a great nts sleep we visited the nearby West Quay Mall for an hour or so then after a quick and efficient check out we were off to the ship.
Highly recommended and will stay here again.
Only ? is the lack of a phone in the room which could mean a delay if someone takes ill, especially a solo traveler who becomes ill in the room and needs assistance.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking waste land was very quiet.