“Our favourite restaurant”

Il Picchio Caffe
Ranked #253 of 847 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: It's a lovely Caffe/deli/pasticeria located in Bitterne Park Triangle and owned by a chap called Sandro.
Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our favourite restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

We live nearby and go to Il Picchio regularly. It's an amazing little place that doesn't look like much from the outside but is fantastic on the inside!
During the day it runs like a cafe, it's really relaxed and the food and coffee is fantastic. The hot chocolate is something to behold - you can stand your spoon up in it. Sandro the owner always gives a warm welcome. In the evenings (on Friday and Saturday) it turns into a little restaurant. Again the food is fantastic. Particular favourites are the Beef Stew and Pork with Mozzarella. All the food is made fresh and the cakes are all home made.

Whilst the surroundings could be described as a little "shabby" it's a welcome relief from chain restaurants and pretentious gastro-pubs. The whole place ticks over quite slowly but rather than this being a problem we find that we end up unwinding and slowing down ourselves! Probably too small for large groups but fantastic for couples or small groups (2-6 is fine). Booking is advised and they don't take cards.
We recommend it everyone!

• Visited August 2013

Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Friendly local deli/restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have become regulars at Il Picchio - I often pop in with a friend after we have walked the dog Sat mornings and sometimes eat week end evenings with my husband.

The atmosphere is so relaxed and friendly. Food is fresh, tasty and genuinely Italian. I feel really lucky to have II Picchio's on our door stop.

• Visited August 2013
“Eccellente, Fantastico !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We chanced upon this wonderful Cafe/Restaurant at Bitterne Trangle, Southampton, in need of a late morning quick snack as opposed to a full lunch. What a treat. ! . Sandro was not there, but the person serving us could not have been more accomodating, and we had a splendid large plate of Antipasto, with wonderful Olive Oil from Sandro's own olive grove in Italy and superb bread .

We sat outside and could have been in Italy, sitting in the sunshine. . We will definitely be returning to try the restaurant one evening soon . The menu looks great and all reasonably priced.

• Visited May 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A real taste of Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

Il Piccio Cafe, Bitterne Triangle

Once you step inside you may feel a little strange... like you have just stepped through the door into a real Italian Cafe in a village in Italy. You may have to look behind you and just check you are still in Southampton before you find a seat. It's not that it is trying to be grand or really try hard, its just very authentic without trying!

Sandro the host is Italian and a really friendly and welcoming guy. He always says hello and I think he loves his job: meeting people and serving up good Italian food.
There is often some World music playing lightly in the background and you can read a book, write in your journal, catch up with a friend in a really relaxed environment. You may even find you have planned a trip to Italy before you leave!

I go there more often now but usually as a treat. I cannot imagine giving my custom to the likes of Starbucks or Cafe Nero when there is an amazing independent cafe with character and a real person who knows my name running it!!! After I discovered it I meet friends and family there for coffee and cake, sometimes head there for lunch (although you need to leave plenty of time as all food is home-cooked). You can go for a lovely walk up the riverside park before or after too which makes it even more inviting in it's location on Bitterne Triangle.

So what does Sandro do so well?

In my opinion you cannot find a better hot chocolate in Southampton, perhaps even England!!!
His coffee is also really high quality and most of his produce is from Italy and homemade. His Cakes are divine, especially the Sunken Chocolate cake and Sicilian Orange which he makes himself. If you are Gluten Free you will love it as many of his cakes are made with almonds instead of flour so GF... I have not found better GF cakes in Southampton.
He also makes lovely authentic Italian dishes and you can have GF options, even pasta if you want to. I do as I have a wheat intolerance and it makes a nice change to go out for yummy pasta.

I highly recommend you pop in. It will cost the same as Starbucks but for much superior products. You will also be supporting a local business that has lots of character. I haven't yet been for dinner but my neighbors have and said it was really good.

This really is a hidden gem and worth going in, even on your own... in fact I sometimes go solo for a bit of me time and its great!

K :)

Note: There is also a really good Butcher's in the Triangle called Garson's... you won't be disappointed, he knows his stuff and is reasonable for the quality you get. His Lamb sausages are really good and again if you are GF he will sort you out no probs!

• Visited March 2013
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“A secret gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

This is really one of the best restaurants I've visited in Southampton. It's run by Sandro, who is a lovely Italian gentleman, and the food is truly excellent. It's only just started opening in the evenings on Friday and Saturday night. Going there always feels a bit like going on holiday, because there's wonderful Italian music playing, and it's so laid back and relaxing being there. The food is very well priced, especially for the high quality. They have really boozy puddings. The wines are good too.

• Visited December 2012