“Like It!”

Ranked #92 of 870 Restaurants in Southampton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Was here a few years ago and I must have caught it on a poor day. Nice pub, good food, and drinks. Very reasonable. I recommend it.

There are newer reviews for The Red Lion Pub

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had lunch here and enjoyed our meal and a few drinks a quaint and friendly pub not far from the centre of town

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Don't go here for a snack as the chef doesn't believe in small portions. Also don't have a starter as you won't finish the msin course. I had the mixed grill which is so big it couldn't fit on a plate but came on an ashette. This place is for big boy eaters only. Enjoy, I did but couldn't finish.all dishes are well cooked. A must if you are in Southampton

1  Thank drummondstornoway
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Went to The Red Lion pub for a works lunch. There were ten of us and we sampled the pies, scampi and the lasagne. Everybody enjoyed their meal. The portions are huge and very well worth the money. Not too expensive and delicious.

The pub itself is very old - the Magna Carta was apparently signed there and there is an upstairs gallery with a small amount of seating and an original suit of armour hanging over the massive fireplace. The walls are decorated with old manuscripts.

2  Thank sinderella12
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Due to change in arrangements I was at a loose end all day so thought I would revisit old haunts from the past. I had been a frequent visitor to Southampton mostly in the 60's. One establishment still remaining from those days was the very old Red Lion pub in the High Street. I arrived there just after midday and was possibly the first customer. Very little appears to have changed with the building though a WWI sign of a finger pointing at you and the caption 'Your country need you,' no longer hangs from the balcony. Like time, the beers on sale have changed. Different requirements by patrons. I did something I liked which was used to wash down a large potato with tuna and cheese. I was told the helpings can be large! Whilst eating I whistled at the parrot and he(?) came to life and responded by whistling and dancing to the background music.

2  Thank Duck41