“Good food”

Balmoral Beefeater
Ranked #143 of 895 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Beefeater opened their doors back in 1974, and were driven by a passion for glorious steak. Mouth-watering cuts at mouth-watering prices was their motto. Reassuringly nothing's changed, these things still drive them today and they always will. Beefeater believe in two things, a warm friendly welcome and serving incredible steak.
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Booking is a must as adjacent to a Premier Inn, food was very good, really enjoyed but quite expensive

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I recently went to the Balmoral for a meal with friends, and I have to say I haven't enjoyed myself so much in a long while. The food was great, I believe it is a new menu?! I recommend the new 20oz T-Bone, for once a place that knows how to cook a steak to order. Besides the food, I really have to mention how welcomed we felt by everyone at the Balmoral, starting from walking in the door, being welcomed by two hosts, unfortunately I forget their names, Just a very tall man and a shorter man with glasses, both their passion and care was obvious to see, It made us feel very excited to be there.

Moving on to our waitress with luckily I do remember the name....Hayley! She was an absolute joy to have serving us, she made us feel important and made it more than sitting down for food. She was very attentive without being to much in our faces. She was always there when we needed her. She got us to sign up for a reward card, which now doing more research on it is a really good card, I can't wait for my free birthday meal come the end of April.

So overall, I feel this place is on the up from past experiences. I recommend this to anyone who wants to feel welcomed and cared for instead of just wanting your money.

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Great service - 5 star, really lovely, efficient & welcoming. Food was good value we had the sharing platter starter - lots of variety, plenty for 3 of us. Followed by chicken burgers and the chilli dish - tasty! Would recommend if in the area. We will be back!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Ate here purely because of staying in the Premier Inn next door.

In the evening I went over at 6.30 to find a queue and no-one attending to it. The people at the front were getting quite angry. Eventually someone turned up and said that if we hadn't booked, then the earliest we could get in would be 7.15. Everyone left, but I accepted the offer an went back over then. It should be said that the place clearly wasn't full and the staff were not exactly rushed off their feet. The waitress who took my order didn't bother to ask how I wanted my steak cooked. Despite being told that I wanted it rare it still came up well over cooked.

Breakfast the following morning was quite simply dire. Breakfast is supposed to be served until 10.00 but by 8.45 the coffee pots were empty and no-one was bothering to replace them.. The Premier Breakfast is advertised as "all you can eat", but you have to order it stipulating how many eggs you want and how many rashers of bacon, etc.

Then we have their problem with English. Both the evening menu and the breakfast menu advertise "mushrooms". Plural. To this establishment this means one mushroom. Singular.

Personally I shall not bother with this place again.

2  Thank Barry22260
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We booked for a breakfast out on a Saturday morning to celebrate my son's birthday. When we arrived at 10.30 we were eventually greeted and when I told the person on duty that we had booked, she looked at her paper and told me that there was no record of my booking. I told her I had booked the night before and her response was ‘Oh, well we only had one other person book online last night and it wasn’t you’. She then stood looking at us for a while and then with a sigh suggested that we could sit a four seater table and they would put another chair at the end. She went away and came back and took us downstairs to a huge 10 seater table which was far too big, but by this time I was just grateful we would be able to have breakfast. We were told that we needed to order hot food immediately as the last food orders had to be in by 10.45. This surprised me as I could have booked a table for 11am and if I had done so this would clearly have been too late. We were then told we could help ourselves to the breakfast buffet, but in reality most of it had already been cleared away. The fruit bowl was empty and we asked for more to be added and it never happened. We asked for croissants, and they never arrived. There was no milk to go with the cereal, no glasses, cups, teaspoons or plates for toast available. Each time we discovered something was missing we had to ask at least twice to get anyone to actually respond and we had to deal with sighs and half rolled eyes (even from the person who seemed to be the manager). I asked four times for a teaspoon and never got one. I eventually had to take a tablespoon off another table to stir my coffee. Part way through our meal my son actually had to turn the toaster on again as the staff had turned it off and were starting to cool it down. The only saving grace was that the cooked food was delicious (even though one of the orders was wrong). When I wanted our bill I had to go looking for a member of staff so that I could pay. I found the entire experience very disappointing. I feel that if they offer breakfast bookings for late in the morning then they need to ensure that the experience is the same for diners as it would be if they came in earlier, and if staff need to start clearing breakfast up earlier, then they need to close breakfast earlier. Personally I won’t be returning there ever again.

1  Thank Flibbertyflow