“Great local pub serving excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Rockstone

The Rockstone
Ranked #19 of 846 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Cuisines: Grill, American, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Craft beer, real ale and cider. 200+ spirits. Best Gourmet burgers in Southampton, Street food. Vegan and gluten free wizardry. 2 beer gardens. Monthly events & tap takeovers. 2 for £22 Burger Night every Monday and Tuesday 17.00 to 21.30. Student Wednesdays every Wednesday. Rock the Stone drink deals and alternative / rock / metal music Friday and Saturday 21.00 till late. Food is served between 12.00-21.30 Mon-Sat, 12.00-21.00 Sun. Booking is advised, especially at weekends and match days. Well behaved dogs are welcome at The Rockstone provided they are kept on a lead and off the furniture. Children and under-18s welcome 12.00-20.00 and later provided they are with an adult. Please contact us if you have any special dietary requirements or other queries as we are happy to accommodate your requests.
Wrexham
“Great local pub serving excellent food”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was our first trip to the Rockstone as we'd been recommended to try it as the food was excellent - it didn't disappoint! First of all I should say that it doesn't look particularly special from the outside, but on entering there is a real buzz to the place. The crispy belly pork was lovely, and the mashed potato it was served with was amazing (creamy smooth mash potato is often a rare thing to find when eating out)! My partner had the spicey chicken with chips - great! The only thing I can fault is that they'd run out of sauvignon blanc, but the pinot grigiot was fine. I would definitely recommend this place - lovely atmosphere and great food.

Southampton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The "excellent" Rockstone”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

6.5 years my b/f and I have been together but, until Saturday night, our respective parents had never met. So when opportunity presented itself for this first epic meeting we could think of no better location to take them than The Rockstone. And it didn't let us down!

I cannot recommend this pub enough. The atmosphere and food are amazing, and I strongly emphasise the high quality of the food. 4/6 of us had burgers; they are the best you will ever have. I had an 'Electric Blue' burger, my b/f 'The Volcano': I love all the quirky names for dishes on the menu, they did make us chuckle and provided the perfect conversation ice-breaker.

At some point half-way through the meal, my brain (which had been hinting to my stomach that I was full up) gave up and went off to do some serious thinking, and my stomach took advantage of its absence by continuing to stuff the burger into my mouth until it was all gone. I couldn't leave any of it; it would have been a crime against food.

In the end we all had a splendid evening of excellent food, excellent wine, and excellent company, and it was in large part due to choosing The "excellent" Rockstone.

Incidentally, out of curiosity or tragedy (depending on your point of view), I've just spent the best part of my lunch break reading terrible and poor reviews of The Rockstone with increasing dismay and incredulity. These are all ridiculously unfair. Perhaps food is as subjective as music, but it's not even as if the points make sense. The food is not overpriced as it is very good quality. Staff are in no way unfriendly and will go out of their way to put things right if you let them know on the day there is a problem (which we did once before on a visit in December 2012). Unfortunately, it's an unavoidable fact of life that some people just love to complain about things - I say unfortunately because even though these reviews only amount to a statistically invalid 3.5% of the total they do still exist. Ignore them entirely - no good ever came from taking the advice of fools.

• Visited October 2013
“It's alright, but nowt special”
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Yes they have imaginative names for their burgers, yes it's quite a 'quirky' place but I'm afraid the burgers just don't cut it. It's not always bigger is better! Burgers are too big to cook properly so you end up with a burnt ball of meat that's cold inside. The portions are generous, chips, salad etc but if they got the burgers right it'd be so much better. Price is very reasonable. Staff however are a bit stand off ish- been in this place on about 6 occasions and never felt 'part of the place'. Always takes ages to order food and they seem to prefer serving their friends first. The dog in there is also a bit odd, growls if your near him and just wonders round the place. A bit odd but hearty grubb.

Visited July 2013
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
“A must for any Burger Addict!”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This place is amazing. My friend took me here for lunch one day and ever since, whenever I'm in Southampton I have to visit and have one of their amazing burgers! Great flavours and a fantastic selection. Be careful of the volcano burger though, that this is seriously hot!

• Visited September 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“What a great pub!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

A pub with a wide choice of local real ales which will suit most palates, 75 malt whiskies to choose from and a huge collection of rums. Excellent, well cooked food with generous portions. Friendly and efficient staff. A friendly atmosphere. What is there not to like?